Fiberglass Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass Hood

Is anyone making a fiberglass hood for the 1964 and later Lark types? Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Richard
    The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Just out of curiousity, are you looking for just the hood or a tilt-forward front clip (fiberglass hood, fenders & grill as one-piece)?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I would like the hood but if I could get the whole front that would work too. I have all the rest of it NOS but the hood. I need the hood for drag racing.
      Richard
      The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

This place mentions having fiberglass parts for Larks, but I didnt find any: http://www.rodnrace.com/page/productoverview.htm
        This place also mentions Lark fiberglass parts: http://www.hansberryinc.com/fiberglass_parts.htm

Brent's rootbeer racer.
        sigpic

Comment

Just not much of a market or demand for 'glass hoods for the '64-'66 Lark types.
          Last I knew SASCO still had a ton of NOS leftover hoods, they used to run special sales on them every spring,
          I have 3 of 'em that I bought for around $50 ea.(picked up at SASCO, shipping would have been killer $$$)
          These have very little inner structure, and as hoods go are already relatively lightweight, thus 'Street strength' fiberglass would likely save very little weight, and not really a cost effective.
          _(I wonder what will now become of all that cheap SASCO 'excess' sheet-metal? -hope it survives the move)
          It wouldn't be too difficult of a project to mold up a 'glass hood, (or have it done) if that's what you are set on.
          '64-'66 trunk lids however are a different story, they have now been NLA for a long time, have a strong inner structure, and are very heavy for their size, and prone to rust-out at the lower edge.

Comment

Comment

Richard,

Have you weighed a 64 hood? It's been 10 years since I put the new front sheet metal on my Daytona, but I remember that the hood was a lot heavier than the earlier Lark hoods. I want to say that it was over 100 lbs. If that's true there's some room for improvement.

Nick

Comment

Perhaps you could cut a large section of steel out of the center area of the hood and glue or rivet a sheet of aluminum in its place?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                sigpic

Comment

I have stashed in my basement a reworked hood for my '65 that has a Jeg's 2.5" fiberglass cowl scoop.Even with a sizeable chunk of metal cut out of it,it's a two man job to carry it.I would love having a fiberglass tilt front end if one was available!

Comment

Nick,
                    The hood is over 70lbs!! That's heavy as far as I'm concerned, too heavy. It seems even heaver when you try to move it around or put it on.
                    Richard

Comment

63 -

Give "Rod-N-Race" a call.
                      They lay'd me up a VERY nice hood for my 60 Lark a few years back. Just because they don't list it, doesn't mean they don't have the mold and are willing to make you one.

Mike

Comment

Mike, I'll call them.
                        Jessie, how much does one of the NOS hood shells weigh? Most of the 70lbs in a compete hood, is in the front.
                        Richard

Comment

When I retired to KY, most of my sheet-metal was stuffed into one small room in the barn, I've got 'em, but presently they are not all that easily accessible.
                          They didn't seem to be all that heavy when I loaded 'em up in SB, or when I carted them up to second floor of my garage in MI, or when I moved them down here. These are complete hoods, (also have '60, and several '62 & '63 hoods)
                          I wonder what a 'Street Weight' 'glass hood would come in at?

Comment

Working...
                          X