My First Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Studebaker

I thought I had lost any photos of my first car but my wife found these in a box in the garage (photos are turning brown). My first car was a 1961 Studebaker Lark VI OHV six with automatic. It was a 4-door with Ermine white exterior and the original interior was a light green cloth. Perhaps someone will recognize if this was regal or deluxe trim. I was given this car by my grandmother while living with her and attending the University of Alabama. She gave me the car after buying a 1974 Dodge Dart.

This was a great car for an engineering student. Probably can't see but I had surface mounted rear deck speakers and an under dash 8 track stereo.

I had car repainted original Ermine white, installed fresh carpet and new vinyl seat coverings. My Dad and I installed fresh piston rings in it and the heads had a job valve done on them, prior to engine work I got a ticket from Houston,TX police for visible exhaust pollution due to malfunctioning engine ($17.50) in 1975.

Here's a picture during winter of 76/77 with my Lark covered in snow. Notice the CB antenna on truck deck (magnetic - I didn't drill a hole) , my CB handle was "Alley Oop"

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Thats cool! Looks like its a regal, mines a deluxe and doesn't have the roof trim. I don't know if that was a option or not though. It does have the quad headlights, wich were a option on deluxes. I think its a regal though.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Nice car

I bet it brought back a lot of memories when those "lost" photo's resurfaced.

Surely there's a story of scrapping low ground on that lower left bumper valance piece??

Your stereo speaker made me laugh, cause I had some home cheap Soundesign sereo speakers hooked up behind the seats. Had to move them anytime there was a passenger, and never enough money to buy longer wire............Gas was the priority!!

ChopStu

135 weeks till completion.
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

That's cool. Your Lark is a duplicate of my sisters car. When I was in jr high school, she had bought the Lark. My sister, being the oldest was our savior in that none of the other kids had siblings with cars yet. We got to drive eveywhere we went. Even then, some kids would make snide comments about the Studebaker. Her response was, "Hey, I'm drivin', you're walkin'." She was so proud of her car. It wasn't till a few years later that I got my coupe. These were the only two Studes ever in our family. 11 brothers and sisters. You would think the odds would be better, eh?

sals54
        sals54

Comment

The car shown is a 1961 Regal. Dual headlights were standard on a Regal and optional on a Deluxe (in 1961). The rare emblem on the C-pillar is the giveaway that the car is a Regal.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I have a similar pictures. My Mother bought the 61 new Lark Regal VIII in September in 1961.

I painted the rims black. I didn't like the silver rims.

I took the Lark at the drag strip.

My 56 Ford and Mother's Lark in the winter in 1963.

My Mother gave me the Lark when I took it to Ferrum College.

Leonard Shepherd
            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Love that roof rack!

Those are all some cool pictures.

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

The car shown is a 1961 Regal. Dual headlights were standard on a Regal and optional on a Deluxe (in 1961). The rare emblem on the C-pillar is the giveaway that the car is a Regal.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Looking at the 61 Lark VI stats (Oct 09 TW) there were 2930 Regals made vs. 12,174 of the Dexluxe 4 door Lark VI. Quite a bit rarer. I wish I still had the car.

When I started dating my girlfriend (now wife of 30 years) she could not stand the Lark primarily because as you rode in it you had to constantly listen to the squeak squeak squeak of the front A-frame bushings which had become dried out and noisy. I ended up buying a 1973 2 door Ford Gran Torino with 351 in 1978 prior to graduating and going to work.

The car was sold to one of the local gentleman in the SDC club in Tuscaloosa, AL. He is still alive but at some point had to sell all his Studebakers to raise money for his wife's health. I think he was using it for parts to restore another car which is a shame because when I look at some of the cars people restore these days my Lark was solid and if it had been preserved would have been an easy car to restore.

sigpic
                John
                63R-2386

Comment

Thats a bummer about the car. Mr.Wappinger, I'll remember that, I didn't know those emblems existed.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I found this photo by browsing around in photobucket. Is this the 61 Studebaker Lark Regal C-pillar emblem?

sigpic
                    John
                    63R-2386

Comment

Originally posted by silverhawk

Thats a bummer about the car. Mr.Wappinger, I'll remember that, I didn't know those emblems existed.

Dylan, I applaud your manners young man, however, while Gary may be quite popular up there in Wappinger, New York... as far as I know, they haven't named him Mr. Wappinger, or Mr. Wappinger Falls yet. [)]

Comment

Working...
                      X