X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Supercharged Avanti on ebay

Here is another one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-...item20ae1249a1

The seller states the car is "One Of The Last Few Cars Built By Studebaker!" However, with serial number 4970 this was actually produced early in the 1964 model year.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Ya know,
      I never liked the way those cars looked. Allways thought they were butt ugly but now I know why.
      I think as a kid the only ones I had ever seen were the ones without the chrome front bumper, Plus the fact that I not only did not realize what a powerful car I was looking at but also didn't know how nice the interior was on them.
      I have a new found appreciation of the Avanti but still just like some of the curbette models after they did away with the chrome bumpers on the front for several years there I did not like them, actually the curbettes I did not like at all up until the last couple of years.
      Thanks for showing me the light.

Dean.

Comment

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

I was in love from the very first time I every saw an Avanti, mine is currently a 1000 miles away from me getting restored and I've been having withdrawal pains.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Maybe, John, but what a place for it to be...[][8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The serial # looks wrong. Looks more correct for a 1964 six cylinder Lark. I wonder what the circumstances behind the car's history might be.

Comment

After looking at the photos. In my opinion it is hard to believe that this Avanti has 12,000 original miles. Mismatched tires, engine cosmetic condition and other issues indicate more miles.
              It is well equipped , including Studebaker front floor mats.But 12,000 original miles I doubt it.

mrbobinc
              mrbobinc

Comment

He's pretty brave turning it loose on a no reserve auction.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

John, Yours is a really nice car.
                  I went driving a few years back with my wife and she told me a story about this crazy (literally) guy that lived out in the woods in a shack with no water or electric near Temecula Ca. and while we were out there we decided to go and see if he was still there, when we drove up into the area where the shack was suddenly we were surrounded by at least 10 starving dogs but this guy Kenny was not there.
                  In the weeds about 50 feet from the shack there was a brown colored Avanti and 20 feet away was an orange Super bee just sitting there like no one needed or wanted them. We went 15 miles to a store and bought a bag of dog food, went back and fed the dogs but still no Kenny.
                  Amazing what you can find out in the woods.

Dean.

Comment

Hey, Dick... I just noticed your new signature pix. Is this your next project??? Are you resurrecting another old custom??? That one looks awesome.

sals54
                    sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Hey, Dick... I just noticed your new signature pix. Is this your next project??? Are you resurrecting another old custom??? That one looks awesome.
                      I resurrected that one a couple of years ago. Fairly famous northwest magazine car from the early 60's. I'm currently Studeless so I needed to change my sig. I liked these vintage photos of my old custom Speedster.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hard to know for sure about the miles but it is a very original car.

When I was in the gas station business whenever there was a job that required hose replacement we would ditch those pain in the neck wire clamps and use the stainless screw on for replacement. The customers always liked seeing the shiny new clamps also. Anyway one of the things I look for as a clue to an original car is the hoses and clamps. Stuff like that would need to be changed in a 125,000 miles but not in 12,000.

The interior and weatherstripping around the doors are also very original looking. Unfortunately low mileage means nothing if the car was stored in such a way that it needs to be restored just as if it had 225,000 miles on it. It could definitely take more dollars than it's worth to make it look and run like a 12,000 mile car but it's a worthwhile candidate for someone who has the money and desire.

It does offer the future owner a break in that the interior looks like a cleaning would bring it up to snuff.

R-3's notwithstanding it's the most desireable combination.

I'd love to get a few detailed pictures of the engine compartment. I think it could serve as guide for future restorations.

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

I do think it might have been painted! Is that white showing underneath the out of place hood weatherstrip and showing through some on the area under the hood in on the driver's side "shelf" ?

ErnieR

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

After looking at this and seeing its condition, maybe mine (that I just bought a month ago)does only have 44K miles. It looks every bit as good or bad. It was last registered in 84. As a result, everything that is suppose to move, doesn't; and I am replacing or referbishing just about everything. I am still a month from getting it mobile, and it has been a month of non stop work just getting her running. Now the main harness need to be replace as there was a short at one time and the bundle is fused together. But, I am have a great time.

1963 Avanti R2
                            John
                            1963 Avanti R2
                            Marshall, VA

Comment

I am unable to clearly see the hose clamps, but they appear that the top one is a correct slotted clamp.
                              You are correct it is the little details like this that allow a accurate appraisal of any car.
                              The master cylinder body and top are to rough for a car of claimed mileage, as well as the power steering pump.

The passengers side wire harness appears that it is going through the fender in the wrong location.
                              The engine is very original otherwise, from what I can see.
                              Even with poor storage this car has been used more than 12,000 miles.

It has a tilt column, rear speaker , power windows, R2, 4 speed, it might even have a am/fm radio.
                              It is the right car for a restoration as a keeper.

mrbobinc
                              mrbobinc

Comment

Working...
                              X