Wire Wheel Covers, or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Wheel Covers, or Not?

I bought a cheap set of Speedster wire wheel covers to restore. I couldn't help but see how they'd look on the '58. So what's everyone's opinions?

Oh, and thanks to a lead from Mr.Biggs, I have a NOS (President) grille now to replace the mangled one the deer took out.

Yes, I know those are '56 wheel covers on there now. (I don't like the '58 style covers).

And the Speedster cover.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

I think the wires actually look quite good on the '58. I didn't know there was such a thing as cheap Speedster wheel covers!

Don Wilson
    53 Commander Hardtop
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    Centralia, WA
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

"Relatively" cheap.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Speedster owners will hate me, but I think those Stude wires are ugly as hell. So there.

Chris Pile
        Editor: The Studebaker Special
        http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I really would prefer dog dish caps with trim rings. I am not a big fan of the wire covers. Just my opinion however.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

how are you using the '56 wheel covers? Does your car have the optional 15" wheels?

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I prefer the '56s.

Comment

I'm running 15" wheels, I had the tires and didn't like the '58 wheel covers.

I'm on the fence about using the wires. I have a feeling that once I fix the things, I'll really hate 'em.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

On your 58, I think they look good. On the the cars they were
                  designed for, I don't like them, Except on the sedans, mainly
                  4 door. Your car, your taste.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Well, Matthew, since you asked....FWIW, I've had an incurable passion for studying automotive styling since I was five or so, and that's been well over forty years of scrutiny. In my opinion there are many attractive wire wheels out there, but if there are any good looking wire wheel covers, I have yet to see them. Kinda like tryin' to pass Velveeta off as cheese- it's just not quite there. BTW, I've enjoyed your contributions to the Forum and Turning Wheels. Take care and good luck on your project(s).

JSC

Comment

O.K. buddy,
                      Where I'm from (Abilene Texas)
                      Velveeta IS cheese and goes good on dang near anything.

Dean.

Comment

The wires look ok , see what you can do about the head lights...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                        canbstudebakers-
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

I have to agree with Bob..the head lights have to go...clayton

clayton-rip chicken hawk!
                          http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/v...s/IM001174.jpg

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cool 1953

I have to agree with Bob..the head lights have to go...clayton

clayton-rip chicken hawk!
                            http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/v...s/IM001174.jpg
                            Yeah, they make other Studebakers look plain and ugly.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Play Wagon

Well, Matthew, since you asked....FWIW, I've had an incurable passion for studying automotive styling since I was five or so, and that's been well over forty years of scrutiny. In my opinion there are many attractive wire wheels out there, but if there are any good looking wire wheel covers, I have yet to see them. Kinda like tryin' to pass Velveeta off as cheese- it's just not quite there. BTW, I've enjoyed your contributions to the Forum and Turning Wheels. Take care and good luck on your project(s).

JSC
                              I beg to differ. For instance. 1980's Chrysler 5th. Ave, New Yorker, Grand Fury. Some nice GM caps out there also. Olds, Cadu, Pontiac, Chebbie. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X