60 Studebaker Lark & 62 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Studebaker Lark & 62 Daytona

Hi well we made it home last night with the car it was sold as a 59 lark.. But it's a 60 lark. But it work for me. It's a Studebaker. That is all I care..If you want to have a look at it go to my profile click on my picture and when you get there you will see my 62 Daytona that's not done yet at the top click on my pictures and you will see the starred pictures click and enjoy.. I am still trying to figure out the pic. thing sorry. Gene.. p.s. you can tell my wife now see was not to happy antil we got there to pick the car up.. LOL.. Gene..

Nice '60, Eugene. Still pretty solid. If you need an original, perfect dash, I have one that very color that is really clean and has the holes for the Regal trim dash knee pads. $25.
    I like that color..I think it's Williamsburg Green? Good find, nice 2 door sedan. Looks like you have a killer dog to watch it, too. [8D]

Comment

Very nice...what engine are you thinking of putting in?

lets see if the attached pic works...not sure if picasa will let you post>>>

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

Well I am thinking I have one more Chevy 350 that's sitting in my shop. ready to go in but I still need to find a trans. but first I want to finish my 62 lark daytona.. I did find the front fenders and a right rear quarter panel I put a down payment on them I will pick them up in the spring and the front header panel also.. I did get a great deal on the car and the parts. I bought the car from Duane out of Junction City Wisconsin. He has alot of Studebaker parts. studebaker 56j is his baby name and I think it's his s.d.c name He is a great guy to deal with. Thanks for looking Gene

Comment

What's wrong with using a Studebaker engine?
          Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Long Island Studebaker Club
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

What's wrong with using a Studebaker engine?
            Rog

Smithtown,NY
            Long Island Studebaker Club
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Well I do have a 62 lark straight 6 ohv with an automatic trans the 6 needs an overhaul the cam is bad it did not come with the optional oil filter on it. But that is a possibility just not sure yet.. Gene..

Comment

It looks like it started life with a VIII. I hope you keep it that way. [^] This 289 will be available soon. It would look good in there.

[img][/img]

Comment

No its a VI. It had the flathead VI I did get the head and some miscellaneus parts the last owner told me the block was froze up. I know that a 350 is not right but I do have one with 4 bolt main with low miles on it. If i had an R/2 I would use it but I do'nt. Or an R/2 with an Avanti supercharger. Make it a SUPER LARK CLONE.. I wish I had one. Well I have some time to think on it.. I hope to get my 62 Daytona reddy for spring.

Comment

Sorry, I thought it looked like the front fenders had the VIII script on them. The blow up was a little fuzzy. [B)] Does the body tag & serial plate read 60S, or did someone drop a 6 in it later?

Comment

It reads 60s. But it has the VIII on the front fenders I think only on the left front fender.Iwill have to look in the morning and see if it has the script on the right side also.. Gene.

Comment

Well, it's your car. If you think using that engine that's just gathering dust in the garage, then perhaps that's what's best.

However, here's a wrinkle for you:
                        There have been any number of people who 'improve' Studebakers with Chevy and Ford motors. They get tired of them or go broke, and then they want to get top-dollar for the car. Come to find out, Stude people largely won't pay top-dollar for a hybrid unless it's exceptional.

There's a few other considerations as well; things like manifolds (stock Chevy's won't work), exhaust systems, clearance for steering components, etc... Putting that 350 in your Lark can be done. There are even several people here who are ready and willing to help. It's not just a plug and play option though.

So consider carefully what you are undertaking. It might be a better choice to put that 350 on Craig's List and buy a Studebaker 289 or 259 with the proceeds. THAT will be plug-and-play!

One last thing to consider: If the car originally came with a six, then the brakes will reflect that. They'll be somewhat... inadequate for a V8. I did this switch with a '62 sedan. Sitting at an intersection whilst standing on the brake pedal, that V8 was just relentlessly inching forward.[:0][}] I had to take it out of drive at lights. Replaced the brakes as soon as the opportunity allowed (a few days later).

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Along the lines of 6 cyl. to 8 cyl. swapping, has anyone actually found that the six cylinder Lark's thinner gauge frame couldn't handle the weight and torque of the V/8? As Ron mentions, the 6's brakes were the smaller type and the biggest problem, but we have often visited the frame's steel gauge discussion and I've never heard of the frame twisting, or failing in any of those.

Comment

You all are right the brakes are not up to snuf for the 350 and I Will take care of that on my 62 daytona I Have had to replace the front steering with a rack type and the steering column with a GM. type and Iam going with rotors in the front. And I mite have a lead on the dana 44 for the rear. I know it's alot of work and money I do some dumb things at times. I Guss after 35+ years working on other peoples car I want to build a rod for me..I have been thinking about the fram this car is out of cal. and is rust free. I do ...{THANK}... all of you for your input it gives me something to think about with this project. Thanks Gene.

Comment

My 63 Lark started life with a 6. I haven't had any problem with the thinner frame. But I've only been testing it for 7yrs as a daily driver and a regular at the drag strip. It does have factory disc brakes and a TT 44 from a Cruiser.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                              X