X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 on E-bay...I can see it now...

Has this one been discussed before? If so, I have not seen it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-...item20ae04bfaf

I can see it now: You take that car to a gas station/cruise in/car show/grocery store, some guy comes up and says:

"hey, I like your custom mustang!!" [:0]

com'on, it's not really that far fetched of a story!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Two door cruiser? wouldn't be bad car if it wasn't so butchered.

<div align="left">My first stude '61 champ in 1987</div id="left"> <center>Shane</center><center>Kennewick, WA</center>

Comment

To each his own. We kind of like it, with the possible exception of the grille and lack of bumpers. Since it is a cruiser, I think that it is neat that they used the Cruiser nameplates on it.

I asked about how it is titled. Depending on the answer, I will probably be bidding on it, even with the transportation.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I for one would like to examine the underside of this car. The one engine picture shows it to have a transverse engine, indicating its FWD. They said its built off a '91 cutlass, which is a FWD car, so that agrees. But, how did they put the stude body on it? I thought that vintage of GM FWD car would be a unit body with no frame separate from the body ?? Maybe they somehow got the transaxle cradle (if it has one?) to attach to the stude frame under there.

I kind of like it, but they should have figured out something different with the rear where the stude bumper went, looks unfinished and the off-center license plate does not really look right.

Definately, a lot of work went into it [^] I like unique customs like this with unique engineering.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H

I for one would like to examine the underside of this car. The one engine picture shows it to have a transverse engine, indicating its FWD. They said its built off a '91 cutlass, which is a FWD car, so that agrees. But, how did they put the stude body on it? I thought that vintage of GM FWD car would be a unit body with no frame separate from the body ?? Maybe they somehow got the transaxle cradle (if it has one?) to attach to the stude frame under there.

I kind of like it, but they should have figured out something different with the rear where the stude bumper went, looks unfinished and the off-center license plate does not really look right.

Definately, a lot of work went into it [^] I like unique customs like this with unique engineering.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop
          Not sure how they did it, but it has the donor cars truck floor too so it may be the entire platform. Other than the front end, I like the car and the work involved is impressive.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Looks like they used the whole Cutlass, must have seperated the body from the unibody? Note strut towers showing under the hood. It has to be front wheel drive.
            Rob in ND
            \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

Must have been a few hours' work in fitting the dash, alone!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard
              http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
              www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Gary, I'm glad to hear you'll bid on it; you just saved me from having to! I saw it yesterday and fell in love with it- or at least the concept. I thought it would be worth buying just to see how the heck they did it!

I see it has the Stude inner quarters, but Olds floor. Olds front clip with Stude panels somehow grafted on. From the one interior shot I see Stude door and window handles, but no idea about the rest. I am concerned a little about the pedals- they look way too far back in the one picture, but that may be an illusion. I'm with Jeff, I'd love to see underneath the car too...

That chassis and drivetrain are very good, and I know them well. I feel the same as Gary, I'd do something different with the grille and add bumpers too, maybe different wheels or tires; but if it's been engineered decently, what a great cruiser it is! Given the incredible amount of work it took to plan and build, I'm guessing it's pretty good work...

Good luck Gary; and if you get it I might have to make a visit downstate to have a look

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Put an original Stude grill back on that baby and it would be perfect !!!

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
                  sigpic
                  John
                  63R-2386
                  Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Since he's trying to sell it, I'm glad someone likes it better than I do. Just like any other custom some will love it and some will hate it. The work looks good from what I can tell, but it's not my cup of tea.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                    1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I think the guy who built that had WAAAAY too much spare time. A 3.1 is SMALLER than the original '51 Stude engine.

I have to admit, tho, it may be "billet prooof" (sp). I had one in an Olds van and put OVER 400K on it before I just flat got tired of the van and gave it to my sister-in-law.

But, looking at this car, I'm still trying to figure out WHY???? Maybe like climbing Mt. Everest?

John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Gary, I'm glad to hear you'll bid on it; you just saved me from having to! I saw it yesterday and fell in love with it- or at least the concept. I thought it would be worth buying just to see how the heck they did it!

I see it has the Stude inner quarters, but Olds floor. Olds front clip with Stude panels somehow grafted on. From the one interior shot I see Stude door and window handles, but no idea about the rest. I am concerned a little about the pedals- they look way too far back in the one picture, but that may be an illusion. I'm with Jeff, I'd love to see underneath the car too...

That chassis and drivetrain are very good, and I know them well. I feel the same as Gary, I'd do something different with the grille and add bumpers too, maybe different wheels or tires; but if it's been engineered decently, what a great cruiser it is! Given the incredible amount of work it took to plan and build, I'm guessing it's pretty good work...

Good luck Gary; and if you get it I might have to make a visit downstate to have a look

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

I tossed in a 4K low ball bid just in case, but I suspect I'm not a third of the way of the way there.

JDP/Maryland
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

52-Fan
                          The car has the scollops on the side that you where thinking about for you car.

Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO
                          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

That is a fine way to improve the looks of a '91 Oldsmobile - the body swap was quite a surprise to me. Can you imagine how much fun you could have blowing the minds of your local GM dealer service department with that car? The grille had to be pushed forward to clear some of the business that goes with a front wheel drive car.

I like the concept and overall execution, and I would probably do more custom body work to eliminate the excess number of body lines Studebaker put at the back end.

Thomas

Comment

I don't think i will live long enough to put 400,000 miles on mine but i'm going to give it a shot,and i'm staying with a Stude engine.
                              There's not much that i like about the car at all, the wheels look odd,(But some dont like mine) the grille is horrible, the scollops dont go with the car, the rear looks just wrong, and the side tag looks like someone said "oh we need a tag and just put it where it stuck.
                              I guess 64-66s are like 53-54s, hard to improve on looks no matter how hard you try.
                              Just my 2 cents worth.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X