What parts need reproduced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I've done the unbreakable motor mount on my 64 Daytona. The mechanic I bought it from suggested it. I believe we either took the metal from a stock mount or found some very large washers with the proper hole size. then I shopped around and bought a custom cut circular piece of rubber - believe it was 60 durometer. We used the metal for a template, drilled a hole through the rubber (it's thickness matched pretty well the Studebaker rubber thickness). Then we got a good strong grade long bolt and fed it through and bolted it in place like the real mount. After 50,000 miles I had no failure and no noticeable increase in vibration through the bolt. I remember it was tricky to get the bolt in and tightened down because it was a bit longer than the original overall height of the stock bolts, but it went in. I warned the new owner it might be tricky to take back out if he wanted to rebuilt the engine. If we had had a good place to get the bolt trimmed down, it would have been perfect.

I only did it on one side - the side that moves up when the engine is revved.
    I remember engine mounts similar to this that were available 30-35 years ago. I don't know if they were Studebaker heavy duty parts or for some other manufacturer. They were commercial and not some home made item. I used them on my 1957 Golden Hawk.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I've done the unbreakable motor mount on my 64 Daytona. The mechanic I bought it from suggested it. I believe we either took the metal from a stock mount or found some very large washers with the proper hole size. then I shopped around and bought a custom cut circular piece of rubber - believe it was 60 durometer. We used the metal for a template, drilled a hole through the rubber (it's thickness matched pretty well the Studebaker rubber thickness). Then we got a good strong grade long bolt and fed it through and bolted it in place like the real mount. After 50,000 miles I had no failure and no noticeable increase in vibration through the bolt. I remember it was tricky to get the bolt in and tightened down because it was a bit longer than the original overall height of the stock bolts, but it went in. I warned the new owner it might be tricky to take back out if he wanted to rebuilt the engine. If we had had a good place to get the bolt trimmed down, it would have been perfect.

I only did it on one side - the side that moves up when the engine is revved.
      I remember engine mounts similar to this that were available 30-35 years ago. I don't know if they were Studebaker heavy duty parts or for some other manufacturer. They were commercial and not some home made item. I used them on my 1957 Golden Hawk.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just about any chrome piece for the 53-54 C/K. I'm having a hell of a time finding good taillights, for example. And of course the grille shells and bars. The NOS chrome is all gone, apparently. Not finding much NOS trim on ebay or York/Reedsville. Trim pieces are all gone, or very pricey when found, or extreme $$$$$$$$$$ for rechroming (and still not be done right!!!! Grrrrr )

There are few folks out there with huge parts stashes who don't have a complete inventory done. (you know who you are ) They might be the only hope unless repops happen. Seems a lot people are restoring these cars, perhaps a market for more repops exists. Then again, our fine Studebaker vendors have no doubt evaluated the market by now and are evidently finding it sufficient to support only the few bits now being made. But I hope I'm wrong!

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
        '60 Lark VIII
        '50 2R5

Comment

Just about any chrome piece for the 53-54 C/K. I'm having a hell of a time finding good taillights, for example. And of course the grille shells and bars. The NOS chrome is all gone, apparently. Not finding much NOS trim on ebay or York/Reedsville. Trim pieces are all gone, or very pricey when found, or extreme $$$$$$$$$$ for rechroming (and still not be done right!!!! Grrrrr )

There are few folks out there with huge parts stashes who don't have a complete inventory done. (you know who you are ) They might be the only hope unless repops happen. Seems a lot people are restoring these cars, perhaps a market for more repops exists. Then again, our fine Studebaker vendors have no doubt evaluated the market by now and are evidently finding it sufficient to support only the few bits now being made. But I hope I'm wrong!

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
          '60 Lark VIII
          '50 2R5

Comment

Working...
          X