50 Commander fender spears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Commander fender spears

Did Studebaker use the same fender spears on the front as came on the rear?
    Just bought a set and any pictures I can find they look the same front or rear.

Thanks,

Dean.

Hi Dean,

I am 99.9% sure that 1950 Commanders did not have rear fender spears. The front spears on the commander have the clear jewel at the front. The 1950 Champions had shorter spears that did not have a jewel in them.

If you have rears, I'd say someone put them there other than Studebaker.

Throw a pic back at us for that extra .1% validation.

Henry Votel,
    Forest Lake, MN
    Moderator: Editors & Publishers Forum
    Henry Votel,
    Forest Lake, MN
    Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Thanks Henry,
      The thing is I have a 50 commander 2 door hard top that came with the front fender spears with the "jewel" in them.
      As I am putting a 50 bullet nose on my car I recently purchased a pair of 50 fender spears like you would typically see on a 50 models front fenders but...
      For instance there is a current post on the forum titled 50 vert. that shows the 50 model pieces on the rear fenders.
      Just trying to figure out what is actually correct even though as an end result my car will not be.
      Sorry I can't post a pic. of the 50 pieces as I have not recieved them yet.

Dean.

Comment

quote:50 commander 2 door hard top
        Like to see pics of that one.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sorry, My Bad.....52

Comment

The fender ornaments on the '50's do not contain "jewels". Solid die cast metal with a "hump" at the front end. The '47,'48 & 49 Commander and Land Cruiser had a jewel at the front end. The '47 Champions had a short jeweled fender ornament on the side of the front fender about mid way down the fender. Google '50 Studebaker for photographs.

Richard

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Retired

The fender ornaments on the '50's Champions do not contain "jewels". Solid die cast metal with a "hump" at the front end. The '47,'48, 49 & 50 Commander and Land Cruiser had a jewel at the front end. The '47 Champions had a short jeweled fender ornament on the side of the front fender about mid way down the fender. Google '50 Studebaker for photographs.

Richard
              Richard

Comment

Comment

Wow,
                  That does help, Thank you very much.
                  I recently bought a pair of spears like the ones in the first picture. Quite sure I paid too much for them but hey thats just the way it is when you want something, right?
                  What I would like to find is a pair for the rear like the ones in the last picture. Must admit I have never seen the ones in the picture in between.
                  I have a 52 2 door hard top and 51 front fenders plus a 50 bullet center piece so... basically my car when done will be a mutt.
                  I bought 50 tail lights, 50 headlights and have a complete 50 dash and I was hopeing that there was a 50 version of the rear fender spears but it don't look as if there is such a thing.
                  OK, Here is the punch line and all who see this feel free to voice your opinion:
                  Just how hoaky do you think it would look if I took the front spears off my 52 front end the ones with the plastic bullet tips and used them on the rear possibly iluminating the tips as part of the brake light / turn signal?
                  Don't hold back I want some honest opinions here.

Thanks,

Dean.

Comment

I saw the pictuers of the 1950 Vert that had the 50 front spears on the front and back. To be honest I did not like the looks of the front spears on the back.

I like the idea of putting the '52 front spears on the back and then use for turn signels. Unique idea.

The nicest rear spears i have seen are those on the picture of the '52 in this thread. After looking at and searching for Studebakers all over the US from N.D. to OR, ID, UT and CA I have never seen rear spears like the ones in the '52 pictured.

Post some pictures of your idea with the "jeweled" spears on the rear for some more thoughts for all of us.

Comment

Doesn't "lstude" (Leonard) have rear spears on his '52?

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bullet
                        The nicest rear spears i have seen are those on the picture of the '52 in this thread. After looking at and searching for Studebakers all over the US from N.D. to OR, ID, UT and CA I have never seen rear spears like the ones in the '52 pictured.
                        Those sorta look like that optional piece for '53-'55 hoods if you ask me... [:0]

(no, not THAT one, the other one!!!!)

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I agree the 52 rear spears are my first choice but thats a tough one, Would love to have a pair though.
                          Several of the experts here have told me that they have only seen them on one or two cars, EVER so I doubt that I will be able to find them.
                          I did check my 52 fronts with the plastic bullet tip on the rear fenders and they not only look pretty darned good but they fit really nice too.
                          HMMMMM,
                          Awaiting more comments.
                          Does Leonard park his car outside? Ha,Ha,Ha.

Dean.

Comment

Ok, I avoided the dreaded double post but got bumped off the recent list.
                            How does that happen?

Dean.

Comment

In Texas, it's illegal to have any color but red or yellow as rear turn signals. So if you lived here, you'd have to figure a way to turn 'em red/yellow when they flash.

And here's a pic of another set of rear "fins" recently posted to another thread.

Good luck.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X