Engine Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Weight

Found this site about engine weights. It list 289 650 lbs. and 6 403.4. Does this seem about right.

Thanks for posting that chart. It is very interesting. I only wish they had the Packard V8. They only seem to have Packard aircraft engines.

It is interesting the the 500 cu. in. Cadillac V8 is 25 lbs. lighter than the Studebaker 289.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Thanks for posting that chart. It is very interesting. I only wish they had the Packard V8. They only seem to have Packard aircraft engines.

It is interesting the the 500 cu. in. Cadillac V8 is 25 lbs. lighter than the Studebaker 289.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Close enough. I weighed one complete dry with flywheel and it was 685lbs. The V8 not the six.

Comment

Close enough. I weighed one complete dry with flywheel and it was 685lbs. The V8 not the six.

Comment

I weighed a 55 or 56 Packard years ago and if my memory doesn't fail me it was approx 760lbs.

Comment

I weighed a 55 or 56 Packard years ago and if my memory doesn't fail me it was approx 760lbs.

Comment

Funny you mentioned the Caddy because more than one person suggested I'd need new front springs to handle the "heavy" Caddy on my 59 truck.

JDP
                Arnold Md.
                Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
                64 Commander 2 dr.
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
                63 Avanti R1
                63 Daytona convert
                63 Lark 2 door
                63 Lark 2 door #2
                62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                62 Lark 2 door
                60 Hawk
                59 3E truck
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Funny you mentioned the Caddy because more than one person suggested I'd need new front springs to handle the "heavy" Caddy on my 59 truck.

JDP
                  Arnold Md.
                  Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
                  64 Commander 2 dr.
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
                  63 Avanti R1
                  63 Daytona convert
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  63 Lark 2 door #2
                  62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

The 760 was with oil, bellhousing and torque conveter.

Comment

The 760 was with oil, bellhousing and torque conveter.

Comment

FWIW, I weighed a 1956 Studebaker 259" 2-bbl, complete with clutch, flywheel and bellhousing, ready to run, but dry. It weighed 695#. The referenced 650# weight must have been without the flywheel, clutch and bellhousing.

The 1956 Packard 352" 4-bbl dressed the same weighed 710# on the same scale on the same day.

My guess is with the supercharger and associated drive gear, the 1957 289" in the Golden Hawk weighed the same as the supposedly heavier 1956 Packard in the Golden Hawk.

The Studebaker V8 is one of the heaviest-per-cubic-inch OHV8 engines ever built. The only thing I know which comes close is the smaller Dodge and DeSoto hemi V8s.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

FWIW, I weighed a 1956 Studebaker 259" 2-bbl, complete with clutch, flywheel and bellhousing, ready to run, but dry. It weighed 695#. The referenced 650# weight must have been without the flywheel, clutch and bellhousing.

The 1956 Packard 352" 4-bbl dressed the same weighed 710# on the same scale on the same day.

My guess is with the supercharger and associated drive gear, the 1957 289" in the Golden Hawk weighed the same as the supposedly heavier 1956 Packard in the Golden Hawk.

The Studebaker V8 is one of the heaviest-per-cubic-inch OHV8 engines ever built. The only thing I know which comes close is the smaller Dodge and DeSoto hemi V8s.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

Jack, The weight changes as you build them. On my 53K it weighed 3,445lbs. With an aluminum flywheel, racing clutch and pressure plate, removal of the pipe on the front of the block where the oil fills, a set of headers, and a Stu-V aluminum manifold I got the car down to 3,310lbs. The Desoto was 625lbs. and the Dodge Hemi was 495lbs. Used to use them in Cracker box boats. Put one in a Stude but the bear was the garbage trannys that you could bolt to them they were almost as heavy as the motors with that big old brake drum on the end of them.

Comment

Jack, The weight changes as you build them. On my 53K it weighed 3,445lbs. With an aluminum flywheel, racing clutch and pressure plate, removal of the pipe on the front of the block where the oil fills, a set of headers, and a Stu-V aluminum manifold I got the car down to 3,310lbs. The Desoto was 625lbs. and the Dodge Hemi was 495lbs. Used to use them in Cracker box boats. Put one in a Stude but the bear was the garbage trannys that you could bolt to them they were almost as heavy as the motors with that big old brake drum on the end of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X