Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Agree'd...
    Our lust for provenance and historical performance triumph's must be tempered with the FACT that all performance plateaus will eventually be eclipsed.
    What we, as Studebaker aficianados, must accept is that performance numbers will ALWAYS be eclipsed.
    What we must do, is applaud the difficult effort is has taken someone to surpass the immense Studebaker effort to set the level that high in the first place.
    Performance is one thing.
    To go fast...You toss out the old stuff...That's easy...(with enough money
    )
    Nostalgia is another thing...
    To go fast with Stude power......
    That is a challenge in itself.
    (ask me, and countless others that have invested good money to beat a belly button whatever)....
    But do not belittle the efforts of those outside the Stude world.
    That will just isolate the Stude legacy even more.
    Food for thought.
    Jeff

Originally Posted by bezhawk
    A stock or nearly stock Studebaker is just as good as any car produced today.

You've got to be kidding.

Again, no knock against Studebakers (I've owned more stock Studebakers than all the rest of my cars put together), but there is NO car produced through the 1960's that compares with a car produced today in any way other than perhaps style.
    It seems Bez was referring to reliability, and you are referring to performance. Apples and oranges. When it comes to reliability over hundreds of thousands of miles, I agree with Bez 100%. If you are talking 1/8 to 1/4 mile, once again, apples & oranges. Food for thought.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 10-10-2013, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Not taking anything away from accomplishments or the reliability of Studebaker cars and their drive trains, but the fact is even the newest ones are more or less 50 years old now. Many people, including I suspect bezhawk, take enjoyment from maintaining and driving them as Studebaker built them. Others love the Studebaker style, but want the performance and reliability of more modern drive trains. And yes I will state that modern drive trains are more reliable. Modern engines and transmissions routinely will run 200,000 miles without a rebuild, if they are maintained. Very few Studebaker drive trains have done that. With modern motors you do not need to install hardened valve seats, add ZDDF to your oil or perform valve adjustments. You also do not need to worry about vapor lock with available gasoline, or where you are going to get a starter or alternator on a Sunday afternoon. I personally enjoy the challenge of adapting and engineering changes that I feel make my car better. I am not saying I am a better engineer than the Studebaker folks, not even close. But now I have a lot better stuff to work with than they did. I love the LS motor in my 53, (The wiring and computer reprogram cost me less than $800 by the way, and that was 7 years ago, it's cheaper now.) It starts instantly, gets 25+ mpg on the highway, runs mid 13s at over 100 mph at the drag strip, and I drive in air conditioned comfort with cruise control, power steering and brakes. Have I had some challenges and spent quite a bit of money making all this work? You bet I have, but each challenge that I over come puts a smile on my face. Now my next Studebaker project will have Studebaker power, but I accept that I will have to deal with all the things I mentioned earlier and that is ok for the way I want to use it. So, do you have to do a motor swap to have reliability and performance? It depends on what your goals are for the car. As Dennis Miller used to say, or maybe still does. "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by grandhawk View Post
        Yes of course your wright sbc is the way to go today. I meet Mr. Frick at limerock Mass. in the early os mid 90's And he said the same thing, but back then you had no sbc it was only common sence to take a big powerful motor like olds or caddy and put it in something light like a 32 ford or studebaker. He was a very modest man He didn't realize he was making history.
        Probably at Lime Rock, Connecticut, where the race track is located.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X