Needed Part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needed Part

I need a power steering control valve off of a Studebaker or lark year 1959 to 1964. If you have any information where I might look,
    I would be grateful. Please respond here or e-mail putnpar@prodigy.net Thanks!

Identifying the part number from the chassis parts catalog would help.
    Identifying the vehicle in question would help.
    Factory Chassis Parts Catalogs are available from several Stude vendors. These same vendors probably have the part you need.
    http://www.studebakervendors.com/
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

There were actually some changes to those valves in those years. You need to specify a bit more.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

There were actually some changes to those valves in those years. You need to specify a bit more.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

Mr. B is correct. For one thing, the size of at least one of the hose fittings was changed.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

What I need is the main body of the valve, I have all of the hardware to attach it. My mechanic says that the main valve is the same but they all have different part numbers. Thanks for responding and would appreciate any other advice. Pat

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

Comment

What Skip said. I think it was 64 where they used larger ports on the control valve. This wouldn't be that much of a problem if you had hoses with fittings to match, but it you tried to use earlier hoses with a later valve, it would be impossible to make it work.
            IF you have a WHOLE system from a given year, it should work just fine. But just looking for a valve, you'll have to know what size hose ends there are existing. Of course, new hoses can be had, but that's more expense of course.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by putnpar

What I need is the main body of the valve, I have all of the hardware to attach it. My mechanic says that the main valve is the same but they all have different part numbers. Thanks for responding and would appreciate any other advice. Pat

With all due respect, I do not think your mechanic is correct. The 59-64 valve bodies are not all the same or interchangeable. You might have better luck if you specified what year the rest of the parts (especially hoses) came from.

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Helms in Texas has new and rebult p/s units. See TW's for his ad.

Richard

Comment

Thank's for the info. I am not sure what TW's is?
                  quote:Originally posted by Retired

Helms in Texas has new and rebult p/s units. See TW's for his ad.

Richard

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by putnpar

Thank's for the info. I am not sure what TW's is?
                    [quote]

Turning Wheels is a monthly publication by the Studebaker Drivers Club. Go to the SDC home page for information about it.

Comment

TW is Turning Wheels - the official publication of the Studebaker Drivers Club. If you're not a member, you should be.

Bob Helm's number is 972-843-3402 After 6PM Texas time.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Comment

Working...
                      X