Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Hi,

My great uncle has asked my help in regards to selling his 1955 Studebaker President.

This is what he has provided me with, thus far:

4-door sedan
    two-tone blue
    motor # 192 95 (I believe)
    serial number # 7168164 (I believe)
    automatic transmission
    power brakes
    power steering
    climatizer
    radio

27,164 miles

Everything is original with the car. It is garage-kept. My uncle is the second owner. He bought it from his aunt, who bought from a Studebaker dealer.

What I'm interested in knowing is what's the best way to go about selling this car and what would be the price range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Beautiful car, but the market seems stalled. Nice cars are lucky to draw $4000. There are exceptional cars out there, and yours could be one, but even the money cars are having a hard time drawing an appropriate price and "nice" cars seem to finish last. Watch eBay, join the SDC, and drive the car. The less they get driven, the less likely they are to stay reliable, and that's what a purchaser will be looking for. Good luck with it.

Dave Warren
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Does your great uncle drive it regularly? Does it have 27K original miles or 127K? Does it need any work? Where are you located? Please post some pics of it. The more info you provide including pictures the easier it will be to determine the value of it....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Dave.

Where would you (or anyone else) suggest offering a 1955 Studebaker President for sale? E-Bay? Auto sites, like Vehix? I figured the Studebaker experts would be the best place for me to ask. I'm really attempting to understand the value and demand of such a car.

From what I've been able to find, the car is "worth" around $20,000. That would most likely be the "seller's price" in a "seller's market." Your suggestion of $4,000 is most likely right in today's economic climate.

I hope others throw their two cents in... or one cent.

Scott

Comment

Like most anything, it is all about CONDITION. It sounds like this car would be in excellent PHYSICAL condition, but what about long stored brake cylinders, master cylinder, old original rubber parts like suspension bushings, spring bushings, shock absorbers. And the engine mounts, Transmission Seals, Engine Seals etc. most of which are 54 years old on a low mileage car.

Long storage without maintenance and use will cause unseen issues affecting value.

Do you have any pictures?

Some of these 4 Doors can go up to 6 to 8 thousand dollars, if the interior is original and like new, most are 3500 to 4000.00.

A good ebay ad would probably be the best source of a buyer Nationwide.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hi, thank you for replying to my inquiry.

Does your great uncle drive it regularly?

Not that I'm aware of. I will have ask him how much he has driven the car in recent years.

Does it have 27K original miles or 127K?

Does it need any work?

The only thing that doesn't work is the radio. The rest of the car is in very good condition.

Where are you located?

Harrisburg, PA.

Please post some pics of it.

I will try to take some photos of the car this weekend. I'm basically in the process of finding out what info I need to present to potential buyers. Thank you for the help.

The more info you provide including pictures the easier it will be to determine the value of it.

I completely understand.

Thank you for giving me your time and help,
            Scott

Comment

I might add that even when the market was really strong, this car wouldn't have garnered $20K. And as Rich has pointed out, long term storage - even in a nice, dry garage - will render a car undriveable without a BUNCH of mechanical rehab.

Rich also posed the 27K vs. 127K mileage question, and what he's getting at is that these old odometers only had 5 digits (plus one for tenths of a mile) showing. So in spite of the fact that it reads 27,164 currently, there's no telling if it's 127,164 or even 227,164 (unlikely, of course - 227,164). Physical appearance MIGHT confirm on 27,164, but we can't see it at this point.

The serial# you show is appropriate for a 55, but that engine number is not. It should carry a P prefix for a 55 President.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Like most anything, it is all about CONDITION. It sounds like this car would be in excellent PHYSICAL condition, but what about long stored brake cylinders, master cylinder, old original rubber parts like suspension bushings, spring bushings, shock absorbers. And the engine mounts, Transmission Seals, Engine Seals etc. most of which are 54 years old on a low mileage car.

That's an excellent point. This is why I decided to ask the forum about the car before I proceeded towards selling it. I will have to ask my uncle about the recent upkeep and driving of the car.

I suppose the only true way to know the answer to your questions is via a mechanic. I don't know cars that well and my uncle isn't going to know, either.

Long storage without maintenance and use will cause unseen issues affecting value.

Yes, there's definitely that possibility.

Do you have any pictures?

Not yet. My joining your forum today was the first step for me. I will attempt to get some photos this weekend. What should I look to photograph?

Some of these 4 Doors can go up to 6 to 8 thousand dollars, if the interior is original and like new, most are 3500 to 4000.00.

That's the first thing I'm trying to find out. What price should I be looking to offer the car for? The next step would be what place(s) would be best for me to offer the car.

You and the others are being very helpful to me. And I'm impressed by the quickness in response. Thank you.

A good ebay ad would probably be the best source of a buyer Nationwide.

That's what my initial thought was, but I wasn't sure if there was a better place to offer a 1955 Studebaker President.

Thanks,
                Scott

Comment

I might add that even when the market was really strong, this car wouldn't have garnered $20K.

I understand. The insurance company quoted the car in that range, as did an on-line search by me. The number I got was $21,275. But I doubt anyone would get such a price. It's up to me to find out the range through the help of people like you. I know the "high end," now I need to know the "realistic" range.

And as Rich has pointed out, long term storage - even in a nice, dry garage - will render a car undriveable without a BUNCH of mechanical rehab.

It's been sitting in a garage for a while. What I need to find out is how much and how often it was driven by my uncle.

Rich also posed the 27K vs. 127K mileage question, and what he's getting at is that these old odometers only had 5 digits (plus one for tenths of a mile) showing. So in spite of the fact that it reads 27,164 currently, there's no telling if it's 127,164 or even 227,164 (unlikely, of course - 227,164). Physical appearance MIGHT confirm on 27,164, but we can't see it at this point.

I gotcha. I didn't know this. I'm pretty sure the car has just 27K, but I understand you need to see the car to verify that.

The serial# you show is appropriate for a 55, but that engine number is not. It should carry a P prefix for a 55 President.

My aunt wrote down the info for me to use. I can check on the actual engine when I take the photos of the car. She wrote #19295.

Thank you for your help,
                  Scott

Comment

You're doing everything right, Scott. (Wasn't Frank Grimes the character on the Simpsons that Homer drove crazy?) Insurance companies will always estimate a little high. If you are in PA there are many club members near you. It's the people that make the club and someone in your area would probably be happy to take a close look at it for you. If you went to a meet, you'll get lots of info and encouragement. If you drove it to a meet, you might just need a bus ticket home .

Comment

You're doing everything right, Scott.

Thank you, Dave. Since my great uncle doesn't have or know how to use the Internet, he asked for my help. Now I ask of the forum's help. So goes our world.

Insurance companies will always estimate a little high.

Definitely. I certainly don't expect to fetch a high price, especially in today's economic climate. I'm just looking for what would be a fair return.

If you are in PA there are many club members near you. It's the people that make the club and someone in your area would probably be happy to take a close look at it for you. If you went to a meet, you'll get lots of info and encouragement. If you drove it to a meet, you might just need a bus ticket home .

That's good to know, and a good idea. I'll definitely pass along your words to my uncle. Thank you.

So where does a 1955 Studebaker President rank amongst Studebakers? Is it in the upper, middle, or lower tier?

(Wasn't Frank Grimes the character on the Simpsons that Homer drove crazy?)

Comment

A 1955 ranks a little lower than a 1953 or 1954, unless the 1955 is a Speedster model (that may be where the $20K price is comiing from). In almost any collector car, a four door is about one-half the price of a two door hardtop.

It sounds like you have a nice car. You just need to find the individual that is looking for what you have. I believe that a good eBay listing, with pictures of all parts of the car and an honest description, is the way to go. Start the bidding low, like at $1000, and if you worry, set a reserve at the least that you would be willing to take. From there, let the market establish today's price.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In 1955 the President was the most expensive and top of the line. In 2009, even though it's a President, body style dictates price. The market for four door cars has less depth than for a coupe or wagon or perhaps even a two door. Still, its condition will make it valuable if it's pristine.

Comment

Studebaker had three tiers of cars for '55. The Champion line were cars with a 185cu.in. six cylinder engine. Just about every body style they offered could be had as a Champion. The Commander series were V8 powered and again, could be had in almost every body style. The President series for 1955 was really just the Commander series with a bit more glitzy trim and upholstery and a few options that weren't afforded the Commanders.
                            The President 4-doors for '55 was a different body from the other 4-doors in the lineup by virtue of the fact that it had 4 more inches of length to it's cabin/overall length. The other unique President model was a mid-year creation called the Speedster. Speedsters were rather limited production 2-door hardtops, but the 4-door models were basically the top-of-the-line offering. While pretty grand cars for their time, as the years passed, it was the sporty jobs, like the Speedsters, the hardtops and the coupes that draw the most attention. 4-door and 2-door sedans - not so much. This isn't to say they're not cool cars, just that they're not the ones everyone swoons over or dreams of owning. The general consensus is that the sedans are the better riding vehicles, but in these days of limited use that fact doesn't carry a whole lot of weight as far as value goes.
                            We Stude nuts often say of a 4-door: "Two too many doors." Although for various reasons, that image is slowly fading with the years.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I don't know how old you are or how close you are to your uncle. In the economy of today, the key will be to find the right exposure to to market the car. How about doing a little maintenance, clean-up, and getting the car roadworthy. Minimum vintage car insurance can be had at reasonable prices. You could join a local car club, start going to local weekend cruise-ins and car shows. This way you and your uncle could have a ton of fun, calmly and smoothly talk up the car and troll for potential buyers while making lots of new friends. You or your uncle might even re-think getting rid of the car and find yourself enjoying a whole new hobby!

John Clary
                              Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                              SDC member since 1975
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X