hello all... newbie alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello all... newbie alert

So we picked up a 4-door 1961 Lark Cruiser in original condition recently and since I am new to old cars, I am sure to have a lot of questions so bear with me.

fuel tank has been flushed, new fuel pump, radiator is flushed but had a hole in it, oil pump is cleaned, transmission is clean and the carb has been rebuilt. it runs well and yard drives, so next on my list is check brakes and bearings. replace brake lines, replace the tires and add a new exhaust.

i am still poking around here looking for resources and best replacement parts so any advice or things i overlooked would be appreciated. i could also use one uber-hard-to-get tail light lens and chrome ring for this car. thanks much and i'm glad i found this forum!

geoff

Welcome, Geoff! And congrats on your new Lark.

The best way to poke around here for info on these kinds of items is to use the Search function, and restrict your search to the Technical Talk side of the forum. All these car parts have been discussed thoroughly enough in that Technical forum area that you can find really good advice via a search. And of course, feel free to ask those kinds of questions over in the Technical Talk forum, when you haven't found an answer with a search.

Most will tell you to take care of the brakes before you try driving the car. Good advice. Also, what comes to my mind is the things like fuel pump and carburetor - have they been replaced/rebuilt with newer style rubber parts that can withstand our modern, often alcohol-laden gasoline? If not, you'll see leaking gaskets in time.

You have found a fun car, and you have come to a great resource. Keep us posted on how the car is doing, and show us some pictures whenever you are ready to.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Welcome, Geoff! And congrats on your new Lark.

The best way to poke around here for info on these kinds of items is to use the Search function, and restrict your search to the Technical Talk side of the forum. All these car parts have been discussed thoroughly enough in that Technical forum area that you can find really good advice via a search. And of course, feel free to ask those kinds of questions over in the Technical Talk forum, when you haven't found an answer with a search.

Most will tell you to take care of the brakes before you try driving the car. Good advice. Also, what comes to my mind is the things like fuel pump and carburetor - have they been replaced/rebuilt with newer style rubber parts that can withstand our modern, often alcohol-laden gasoline? If not, you'll see leaking gaskets in time.

You have found a fun car, and you have come to a great resource. Keep us posted on how the car is doing, and show us some pictures whenever you are ready to.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Welcome!
        You'll find a lot of great people and advice on this forum. Join the SDC and recieve a fantastic monthly mag with ads and articles that are second to none. Parts are available at reasonable prices from many sources. If you have specific questions you'll want to include more information on which model you have, such as engine, trim, interior etc. People here just love to see new cars and enthusiasts show up. On your firewall on the right side above the heater hoses are some tags that will give you a lot of the information you will need to work from. The cars serial # is on the drivers door post. The engine # is stamped on the front of the top of the engine block. It may be covered in grease.
        Enjoy your car and you will find a lot of new friends here. Everyone likes to see pictures of the cars too if you have them.
        Rob

Comment

Welcome!
          You'll find a lot of great people and advice on this forum. Join the SDC and recieve a fantastic monthly mag with ads and articles that are second to none. Parts are available at reasonable prices from many sources. If you have specific questions you'll want to include more information on which model you have, such as engine, trim, interior etc. People here just love to see new cars and enthusiasts show up. On your firewall on the right side above the heater hoses are some tags that will give you a lot of the information you will need to work from. The cars serial # is on the drivers door post. The engine # is stamped on the front of the top of the engine block. It may be covered in grease.
          Enjoy your car and you will find a lot of new friends here. Everyone likes to see pictures of the cars too if you have them.
          Rob

Comment

Welcome to the Forum! another one falls victim to the Studebug

Randy_G
            South Bend or Bust 2007!
            God I miss chrome on cars [V]
            This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Welcome to the Forum! another one falls victim to the Studebug

Randy_G
              South Bend or Bust 2007!
              God I miss chrome on cars [V]
              This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

First thing, join the Studebaker Drivers Club, from this site. It is only $19.95 for new members and includes 12 publications.

Out of curiosity, is your '61 Cruiser the standard 259 V8 or the optional 289 V8 and does the car have factory air conditioning?

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

First thing, join the Studebaker Drivers Club, from this site. It is only $19.95 for new members and includes 12 publications.

Out of curiosity, is your '61 Cruiser the standard 259 V8 or the optional 289 V8 and does the car have factory air conditioning?

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Welcome to the club. Please join, if you haven't already. The club newsletter, Turning Wheels, will blow your socks off!

Two good sources for parts:

Studebaker International
                    97 North 150 West
                    Greenfield, In 46140-8562
                    317-462-3124

Studebaker Autoparts Sales Corp (SASCO)
                    410 Sample Street
                    South Bend, IN 46601
                    800-722-4295
                    574-287-3381

These are the largest parts houses available. They are not by any means the only suppliers. You will find soon that Studebakers are possibly the best supplied and supported classic car extant. Turning Wheels has a tremendous amount of usefull information in it's pages along with ads from many vendors of parts, supplies, and services.

Lotsa Larks!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Welcome to the club. Please join, if you haven't already. The club newsletter, Turning Wheels, will blow your socks off!

Two good sources for parts:

Studebaker International
                      97 North 150 West
                      Greenfield, In 46140-8562
                      317-462-3124

Studebaker Autoparts Sales Corp (SASCO)
                      410 Sample Street
                      South Bend, IN 46601
                      800-722-4295
                      574-287-3381

These are the largest parts houses available. They are not by any means the only suppliers. You will find soon that Studebakers are possibly the best supplied and supported classic car extant. Turning Wheels has a tremendous amount of usefull information in it's pages along with ads from many vendors of parts, supplies, and services.

Lotsa Larks!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

thanks all, i'll joined first thing. i've atached a pic of the beast. there is really nothing in it, no radio, no air, no split seats, no nothin' the numbers are 61V-y6 1785 if anyone can decipher that.

Comment

thanks all, i'll joined first thing. i've atached a pic of the beast. there is really nothing in it, no radio, no air, no split seats, no nothin' the numbers are 61V-y6 1785 if anyone can decipher that.

Comment

quote:the numbers are 61V-y6 1785 if anyone can decipher that.
                            61V means that it is a 1961 with a V8 engine. Y6 means it is a Cruiser with the long wheelbase. 1785 is thge body number.

It looks like a great car. I have a soft spot for 61 Larks since I had one in College.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote:the numbers are 61V-y6 1785 if anyone can decipher that.
                              61V means that it is a 1961 with a V8 engine. Y6 means it is a Cruiser with the long wheelbase. 1785 is thge body number.

It looks like a great car. I have a soft spot for 61 Larks since I had one in College.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X