Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a member in our chapter who's only vehicle is a 1965 Cruiser. he is in his 80's and that is their only means of transportation.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

We have a member in our chapter who's only vehicle is a 1965 Cruiser. he is in his 80's and that is their only means of transportation.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Both my girls (ages 5 & 7) love to get in and "drive" any of the Stude's whenever they can!

Too bad they can't reach the pedals yet.
        This counts right![)]

To many and still looking for more...

Comment

Both my girls (ages 5 & 7) love to get in and "drive" any of the Stude's whenever they can!

Too bad they can't reach the pedals yet.
          This counts right![)]

To many and still looking for more...

Comment

So, I'm not the only one. [8D] The rest of my family DRIVES there Studes as well. My grandad has been known to spin the wheels more than a few times in his 57 Silver Hawk. He drives it so much that he's redone that car twice in the last 20 years. He doesn't drive it much lately because the clutch is badly needing to be replaced.

quote:BTW Matthew, I am seriously looking at a property 30 some miles from your place. I'll let you know if/when it works out.
            Jeff
            Are you talking about the Douglas area? Douglas IS about 30 miles away...

Comment

So, I'm not the only one. [8D] The rest of my family DRIVES there Studes as well. My grandad has been known to spin the wheels more than a few times in his 57 Silver Hawk. He drives it so much that he's redone that car twice in the last 20 years. He doesn't drive it much lately because the clutch is badly needing to be replaced.

quote:BTW Matthew, I am seriously looking at a property 30 some miles from your place. I'll let you know if/when it works out.
              Jeff
              Are you talking about the Douglas area? Douglas IS about 30 miles away...

Comment

Matthew,

I drive my Studebaker every day, rain, shine or -60 here in Fairbanks, Alaska. I have never owned a car other than a Studebaker. I am currently driving a '64 Cruiser to work, shopping, etc. My '63 Hawk is for fun; I let it hibernate during the long winters. I am currently refreshing another '64 Cruiser, one that belonged to my Dad who died in 1986. It sat unused since then so needs a little work.

I learned to drive in a '53 1/2-ton pickup with little 6 (Dad's work car at the time), a '56 Parkview wagon (Mom's car) and a '54 Connestoga wagon (Grandma's car). My first car was a '55 Champion that Dad fixed up and painted for me as a high school graduation gift. I sold it when I graduated from college to drive a '64 Hawk up to Alaska for my brother from Colorado where I was going to school. Dad had a '61 wagon waiting for me as a surprise graduation present. Got drafted. The Lark wagon went with me (or my wife while I was overseas) to Alabama, Colorado and Texas. Bought my '63 Hawk at Ft. Hood, TX, after returning from Vietnam. Towed it to Seattle behind the '61 wagon in '71, shipped it home and drove the '61 up the highway to Anchorage. Eventually retired it with nearly 500,000 on the odometer. Fixed up a '63 wagon that I got from the wrecking yard for $60 and drove as the family car while the kids were growing up. Retired it with just over 450,000 miles on the odometer. Carried all the materials for our home in a '61 Champ 1/2-ton that I bought along the way and used it as scaffolding and ladder support while building the house. Hauled drinking water with it, etc. The '64 Cruiser... I bought it sight unseen in Montana in 1991, flew there and drove it back to Fairbanks.

I am often amused when people ask me if I "collect" Studebakers. I tell them no, they are my everyday cars. They just got old along the way like me. The "fleet" is getting a bit ragtag from all the passing years and lots of use but, hey, they are Studebakers. They just keep going and going and going...

Sorry. This is more than you asked but couldn't help myself. I am pleased that there are a few young people like yourself that are crazy over Studebakers. Puts a smile on your face, doesn't it?

Dale

Comment

Matthew,

I drive my Studebaker every day, rain, shine or -60 here in Fairbanks, Alaska. I have never owned a car other than a Studebaker. I am currently driving a '64 Cruiser to work, shopping, etc. My '63 Hawk is for fun; I let it hibernate during the long winters. I am currently refreshing another '64 Cruiser, one that belonged to my Dad who died in 1986. It sat unused since then so needs a little work.

I learned to drive in a '53 1/2-ton pickup with little 6 (Dad's work car at the time), a '56 Parkview wagon (Mom's car) and a '54 Connestoga wagon (Grandma's car). My first car was a '55 Champion that Dad fixed up and painted for me as a high school graduation gift. I sold it when I graduated from college to drive a '64 Hawk up to Alaska for my brother from Colorado where I was going to school. Dad had a '61 wagon waiting for me as a surprise graduation present. Got drafted. The Lark wagon went with me (or my wife while I was overseas) to Alabama, Colorado and Texas. Bought my '63 Hawk at Ft. Hood, TX, after returning from Vietnam. Towed it to Seattle behind the '61 wagon in '71, shipped it home and drove the '61 up the highway to Anchorage. Eventually retired it with nearly 500,000 on the odometer. Fixed up a '63 wagon that I got from the wrecking yard for $60 and drove as the family car while the kids were growing up. Retired it with just over 450,000 miles on the odometer. Carried all the materials for our home in a '61 Champ 1/2-ton that I bought along the way and used it as scaffolding and ladder support while building the house. Hauled drinking water with it, etc. The '64 Cruiser... I bought it sight unseen in Montana in 1991, flew there and drove it back to Fairbanks.

I am often amused when people ask me if I "collect" Studebakers. I tell them no, they are my everyday cars. They just got old along the way like me. The "fleet" is getting a bit ragtag from all the passing years and lots of use but, hey, they are Studebakers. They just keep going and going and going...

Sorry. This is more than you asked but couldn't help myself. I am pleased that there are a few young people like yourself that are crazy over Studebakers. Puts a smile on your face, doesn't it?

Dale

Comment

Matt,

I am now driving my 'new' '54 Champion 4-door sedan as a 'daily driver'. My Jeep Grand Cherokee will be used by the boys to go to school and sports practice.

To provide evidence of this<G>, I submitt the following two pictures taken at work this very day:

I drove my '55 1/2 ton V8 pickup for about 4 years as a daily driver, so this is nothing new to me.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Matt,

I am now driving my 'new' '54 Champion 4-door sedan as a 'daily driver'. My Jeep Grand Cherokee will be used by the boys to go to school and sports practice.

To provide evidence of this<G>, I submitt the following two pictures taken at work this very day:

I drove my '55 1/2 ton V8 pickup for about 4 years as a daily driver, so this is nothing new to me.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I SAW and visited with 4 of my Studes today (as well as a '55 E-28 dump truck I sold several years ago), but didn't drive any. [xx(]. I DID take my rollback for inspection so I can carry my '46 fire truck to a show on Saturday. . (I know it is a driver's club, but I will have my 2 young daughters with me and it is the safest way).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.
                        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I SAW and visited with 4 of my Studes today (as well as a '55 E-28 dump truck I sold several years ago), but didn't drive any. [xx(]. I DID take my rollback for inspection so I can carry my '46 fire truck to a show on Saturday. . (I know it is a driver's club, but I will have my 2 young daughters with me and it is the safest way).

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

I take my '59 Lark out for a ride a couple of times per week. There's something very relaxing and exhilerating about going for a drive in the Stude. Besides, it's good for the car to be run.
                            Rog
                            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I take my '59 Lark out for a ride a couple of times per week. There's something very relaxing and exhilerating about going for a drive in the Stude. Besides, it's good for the car to be run.
                              Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Paul,

My wife is using my PC and I am on her laptop (with a small screen), but is that an early '70's Maverick on the left in the bottom pic? Can't see it well enough to tell for sure.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X