Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sdude
    replied
    That's the nice thing about the hobby. It's your car and you can do with it as you please.

That being said, I am glad we were able to talk you out of it. IMHO

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Leave a comment:

• nickaboni2
    replied
    Otay, otay, otay. The car is not going to be chopped. I wanted to take some of the crown out of the roof, buuuut the car being lowered and a valance panel being added to the bottom of the front grill will visually take away that high appearance.
    I never take exception to the advise given by the members of this forum although I do not always agree as there are often 50 different opinions proffered to each inquiry. Once again THANKS.

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    <h1>Don't do it!</h1>

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    Nick, you asked for advice, so don't flame when it doesn't match what you wanted to hear.

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    If you MUST chop then why not pick something newer versus an historic Studebaker???[8D]

Leave a comment:

• fred k.
    replied
    To quote Willy Nelson,you got the mony hony i got the time.

fred

Leave a comment:

• nickaboni2
    replied
    To the many that have responded NO CHOP

Leave a comment:

• nickaboni2
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Tom

Please do not chop the precious few Studebakers...they are ruined forever.

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    Please do not chop the precious few Studebakers...they are ruined forever.

Leave a comment:

• R2Andrea
    replied
    Tempered Glass CAN NOT BE CUT DOWN! It must be made to it's finished size and shape before tempering. Attempts to alter it post tempering will leave you with a pile of shards.

R2Andy

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    ChopStu, I sure like the look of your cut-n-paste Lark. That's the model I have in the barn. I'm trying to get brakes on it. Runs like a scalded dog... it just won't stop. It sure is tempting when its as easy as it looks in the picture, eh?

sals54

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    Guess I missed this one yesterday. [:0]

I don't have a picture of said car or one like it, to give an imput (input?) on the finished looks.
    (do you have a direct from the side picture shot?)
    Here's one EXTREME pic I show time to time, as you can tell Reality doesn't alway's mimic Fantasy, sometimes it looks better/worse

These jobs (as you've heard from the posts) are not easy, you mentioned you wanted to leave your side glass intact. Any chop, no matter how slight will change how every window fits, it's not as simple as.......take out an inch and then just roll up the window one inch less.
    Maybe, maybe depending on style of car you could get away with it on a rear passenger window, but it's shoddy IMHO

I feel the cost estimates expressed here are in line if you were to have someone else do it.

Think it over in your down time this winter season, Chops are not a spur of the moment change like an engine swap, or new interior, or new set of wheels.
    You could alway's finish the car to a driver condition, leave the interior barren, leave the paint in primer (suede) for awhile, drive around for a while and decide if a lowered roof line is still needed to complete your vision.

If the chop was just a fleeting thought........you'll still have a grin ear to ear as you drive the car.....as it sits.

[:0]Now most of you thought I was going to be the gung ho "chop em or die" type didn't ya. You have lot to learn grass hoppa.[:0]

ChopStu

141 weeks till completion.

Leave a comment:

• fred k.
    replied
    2 more, I agree!

fred

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Two words: Dont Chop!

Chris Dresbach

Leave a comment:

• Steve T
    replied
    sals54--

I think that's it! I've been trying to figure out just why it is that I prefer 53-54 Starlights over Starliners...your comment about the height of the door/quarter glass has switched a light on.

Course I'd be quite content with either one...or one of each.

S.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X