• Show
Clear All

Heck, I'd do it for nine...

Comment

O.K. NO CHOP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by nickaboni2

O.K. NO CHOP
        WHEW!...exhaled the little Studebaker as she shook little drops of condensate from her chrome brow.[:I]

John Clary
        Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The stock glass "can" be cut down to fit. Now will it take maybe 3 or 4 tries?....it could. I have seen many stock windshields cut down, but you have to find the right glass guy, and if he breaks it trying to cut it....its on YOU. We (as a shop) have chopped a 53 Studebaker. Although the car is being made into a salt flat car....it can be done.

Comment

But can the tempered rear glass be ground down to fit a smaller opening?

Comment

It can be cut, you have to find a very good glass guy that is willing to do it. Like i said though, it usually doesnt work the first time. So as long as you have access to 3 or 4 rear windows that you are willing to part with it is do-able.

Comment

I had no idea the chop would be that expensive. I would not consider chopping my 54 Coupe. (below). I like the angle of the top to the body. In fact, I like the Coupe more mainly cuz the door frame shrinks the glass surface between the body and the top. The Hardtop glass is taller and therefore for some, begs to be chopped. I had a chance several years ago to buy a 50 Starlight Cpe which had been chopped and had the rear fenders widened slightly. It looked fabulous. I could have had it for a song cuz the owner had stripped the brand X engine/trans out of it. Oh, I wish I woulda.

sals54
                sals54

Comment

good luck with choping that rear tempered glass.

fred

Comment

I thought cutting or grinding tempered glass was impossible.

Comment

sals54--

I think that's it! I've been trying to figure out just why it is that I prefer 53-54 Starlights over Starliners...your comment about the height of the door/quarter glass has switched a light on.

Course I'd be quite content with either one...or one of each.

S.

Comment

Two words: Dont Chop!

Chris Dresbach
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

2 more, I agree!

fred

Comment

Guess I missed this one yesterday. [:0]

I don't have a picture of said car or one like it, to give an imput (input?) on the finished looks.
                            (do you have a direct from the side picture shot?)
                            Here's one EXTREME pic I show time to time, as you can tell Reality doesn't alway's mimic Fantasy, sometimes it looks better/worse

These jobs (as you've heard from the posts) are not easy, you mentioned you wanted to leave your side glass intact. Any chop, no matter how slight will change how every window fits, it's not as simple as.......take out an inch and then just roll up the window one inch less.
                            Maybe, maybe depending on style of car you could get away with it on a rear passenger window, but it's shoddy IMHO

I feel the cost estimates expressed here are in line if you were to have someone else do it.

Think it over in your down time this winter season, Chops are not a spur of the moment change like an engine swap, or new interior, or new set of wheels.
                            You could alway's finish the car to a driver condition, leave the interior barren, leave the paint in primer (suede) for awhile, drive around for a while and decide if a lowered roof line is still needed to complete your vision.

If the chop was just a fleeting thought........you'll still have a grin ear to ear as you drive the car.....as it sits.

[:0]Now most of you thought I was going to be the gung ho "chop em or die" type didn't ya. You have lot to learn grass hoppa.[:0]

ChopStu

141 weeks till completion.
                            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

ChopStu, I sure like the look of your cut-n-paste Lark. That's the model I have in the barn. I'm trying to get brakes on it. Runs like a scalded dog... it just won't stop. It sure is tempting when its as easy as it looks in the picture, eh?

sals54
                              sals54

Comment

Tempered Glass CAN NOT BE CUT DOWN! It must be made to it's finished size and shape before tempering. Attempts to alter it post tempering will leave you with a pile of shards.

R2Andy
                                R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                                X