X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweetolbob
    replied
    John

Keep the updates coming. I enjoy reading them as I continue to progress on my 83 Avanti.

Just wish I had the discipline you have to document the progress on a site. I do However, have a ton of pictures.

Thanks again

Bob

Leave a comment:

• unimogjohn
    replied
    Thursday, Oct 29th. Today was a big day, after about three weeks of working every day, we got the Avanti running. Her first start in about 15 years. Thanks to Dave T. for the great restoration of the R2 carb. We still have brake issue, but are slowing closing in on the problem. I am still posting at the AACA restoration site.

http://forums.aaca.org/f190/avanti-r...-269244-6.html

Just got new rubber brake hoses, SS exhaust pipes from the mufflers back, and more rubber parts on the way. Now that she can move, but not stop, under her own power, we can take her off the trailer to mount new tires and work on the brakes with the car up on jack stands.

Having a great time. We also did a couple of videos on YouTube (search johnfeser) of the start-up and engine running today.

I want to thank everyone for their help and assistance.

1963 Avanti R2

Leave a comment:

• unimogjohn
    replied
    Just wanted to update this topic. I am still working on the Avanti, replacing parts, old rubber, cleaning, etc. Waiting for the carb, supercharger, and spark plugs to be able to start the engine.

Cleaned out the master brake cylinder and put in new fluid. Will do a bleeding of all the brakes in a few days.

We have spent considerable time on cleaning the interior, and she is starting to look really good. You could not believe the amount of grime and dirt that came off.

I am still updating the AACA restoration site with pics at
    http://forums.aaca.org/f190/avanti-r...-269244-3.html

1963 Avanti R2

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    John, great to see your log for the car. Please consider AOAI for membership. It is a great place to learn more about your car. Also first year membership is just $19.95. Also AACA Library and Research Center has a complete set of Avanti Magazines from Vol 1 to the latest edition. Lots of tech stuff in them. Also there are a lot of people here who are willing and able to assist you with problems as you move forward. As for a repaint, IMHO paint the car the original color Avanti Red and intall a proper interior. Again I can give you the codes and the interior options if you want them.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Leave a comment:

• unimogjohn
    replied
    I have continued to work on the Avanti every day, cleaning, replacing parts, changing belts, fluids, etc. I have lots of parts coming this way. You can follow along at the AACA restoration site listed on the first post.

David does have the carb and Jon has the supercharger so in probably two weeks or so I may be able to attempt to start it.

With the new battery I was able to test out the electrics, really the only big issues are the radio, brake light, turn signals (horn works put comes on when left turn signal is pushed). Not too bad, but they cut the wiring to go around the turn signal issue. Now no turn signals in the front.

Thanks everyone for the help. I will keep posting on the AACA site. I will update this list in a couple of weeks when I have made some real progress, like the engine running and the car off the trailer.

1963 Avanti R2

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    Saw you were looking for a radio shop, also saw that the clock isn't working. Here's a place I plan to use:
    http://www.dandmrestoration.com/
    They do radios, clocks, gauges and small motors.
    Hope this helps!

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
    Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
    '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '53 John Deere 50
    '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
    '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Leave a comment:

• Lenny R2
    replied
    Hello John nice car,welcome to the forum.I have a 63 Avanti R2 also.I have replaced many parts in
    the 5 years that i own her.Let me know if i can help with anything

Lenny
    Atlanta Ga.

Leave a comment:

• Thomas63R2
    replied
    I like the "Deluxe" interior trim a lot. I hope you keep it that way - its not often seen and good looking. In some ways I think the Deluxe style is more complimentary to the Avanti style.

If the whole engine is painted red, then it has been out of the car at least once since the factory R2 engines were painted black. Even though the previous 37 year family ownership of the car maybe didn't drive it much before mothballing it, I'll bet the previous owners drove it enough to need an engine overhaul. Its always iffy how many times a five digit odometer has turned over.

Along with the carb and supercharger you may want to have your distributor gone through - they are known for excesive wear on the advance weights that makes performance suffer. You should also check your crankshaft damper; the rubber between the outer ring and the hub can rot and allow the outer ring to slip - which can screw up your ignition advance setting.

Thomas

Thomas

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    "She is a very dirty girl."

The kind you don't take home to Mother.[}]

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2
    Studebaker may have called the perforated seats "Deluxe", but they were the standard style as far as I know.
    That topic was discussed here in some length awhile ago.
    The base un-pleated perforated vinyl was called "Deluxe" and isn't often seen. Someone (JDP perhaps) found a car with it. It was the first time I'd ever seen one [u]with</u> the perforated seats.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• unimogjohn
    replied
    Thomas, at your urging and several others I have sent the supercharger off today to Jon Myer.

I also found the serial number of the engine, and it is RS1669. Also someone asked if the block was also red in color, yes, it is the same red as the intake.

So the carb and the supercharger are off to rebuilders. Now will start replacing the rubber in the engine bay, cleaning, and scrubbing the interior. She is a very dirty girl.

1963 Avanti R2

Leave a comment:

• Thomas63R2
    replied
    Donald White is listed in the '71 AOA member roster with that car - it was green then too. Studebaker may have called the perforated seats "Deluxe", but they were the standard style as far as I know.

Looks like the car has found the right owner, good luck with the project.

I just can't see anything good coming out of trying to run the engine with a supercharger that has been forlorn for at least 30 years. Chances are that it was bypassed for a reason, no sense in shredding what is left just for starting up the engine. Its likely to have turned over the odometer at least once. Is the engine block also painted red, or just the intake manifold?

Thomas

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    Now that is a gorgeous Avanti 4 bbl carb if I ever saw one! Everything else around it looks pretty darn good too.

quote:Originally posted by Bob Langer

quote:

Also talked to Dave Thibeault and has validated that I do have an Avanti carb.
    The carb in the picture is not an Avanti carb. This is an R-2 3588S carb.

Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

63R-2809 R-2

R-4137 R-1

edp/NC
    '63 Avanti
    '66 Commander

Leave a comment:

• Bob Langer
    replied
    quote:

Also talked to Dave Thibeault and has validated that I do have an Avanti carb.
    The carb in the picture is not an Avanti carb. This is an R-2 3588S carb.

Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

63R-2809 R-2

R-4137 R-1

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    Must be a different carb than I saw in the pictures. Due respect to Dave but the carb in the pictures is a Mopar carb. There is a Mopar part # that is one digit off 3826S as opposed to an Avanti R2 Carb 3825S.

He'll know what he has when he sees it.

BTW, it looks like a manual trans Mopar carb and some of those cores are valuable in their own right so don't trash it.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by unimogjohn

Ordered the Interstate Battery today. You can see the specs at http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/Products/RT/PID-3EE-VHD(Commercial).aspx?dsNavigation=N%7e2147384794-4294490503-4282690357-2147384781&Title=Light+Truck%2fVan+Mega-Tron+-+400+CCA

Really close to the fork lift battery in the above post.

Also talked to Dave Thibeault and has validated that I do have an Avanti carb, I have asked him to rebuild it, and will delivery it to Hershey on Wednesday.

Waiting for the rad hoses to arrive to I can replace all my engine/cooling rubber and all other rubber lines. Have all new belts coming too.

1963 Avanti R2

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X