Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unimogjohn
    replied
    Ordered the Interstate Battery today. You can see the specs at http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/Products/RT/PID-3EE-VHD(Commercial).aspx?dsNavigation=N%7e2147384794-4294490503-4282690357-2147384781&Title=Light+Truck%2fVan+Mega-Tron+-+400+CCA

Really close to the fork lift battery in the above post.

Also talked to Dave Thibeault and has validated that I do have an Avanti carb, I have asked him to rebuild it, and will delivery it to Hershey on Wednesday.

Waiting for the rad hoses to arrive to I can replace all my engine/cooling rubber and all other rubber lines. Have all new belts coming too.

1963 Avanti R2

Leave a comment:

• fmarshall
    replied
    This is the strongest 3EE that I have seen on the web:

http://www.gshields.com/itemdesc.asp...T-3EEE&eq=&Tp=

Anyone have any experience with them?

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    I've seen an Avanti that, instead of using the 3EE battery, the owner used two Optima 6V batteries connected in series for 12V. They're slim batteries and fit in the same space as the 3EE. He also had to modify the hold downs.

Personally, I thought that, while inventive, it was a very expensive way to go to use Optima batteries. You can buy a lot of 3EE batteries for what that conversion cost.

BTW - the 3EE battery is primarily an industrial battery...you can find them at many, if not most suppliers that service that industry.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

They don't make one in that group size to my knowledge, but they will have one that will fit in that space, I believe.
    BTW, I didn't imply that Optima made a group 3EE battery - though Interstate does market a Group 3EE battery.
    I didn't misinterpret what you wrote...it just prompted me to ask a question.
    I love Optimas...they're non stock of course, but I don't want anything to risk the paint

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    Don't spend any money on that carb. It's not a Stude AFB, early Mopar or Buick maybe but not Stude.

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    John,

I see from the other forum that you're in Marshall, when you get it running head north on 29 would you? Love to see an Avanti in my neighborhood

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 63r2

John
    Welcome,
    Looking through your pictures I note your bonnet hinge issue. I'm not to sure that the fibreglass was cut out on the bonnet hinge.
    Mine has suffered the same problem and I assumed it was a weakness or maybe as a result of the front end damage.
    I wonder how common it is?
    Hinge pockets are available new if you want to replace the whole section.
    Have fun.

Peter

The broken hinge pocket is a common issue, about 10% I've owned need the repair. I'd bet it's from a rusty hinge/ or prop or trying to shut the hood against the hood prop.

JDP/Maryland

Leave a comment:

• fmarshall
    replied
    They don't make one in that group size to my knowledge, but they will have one that will fit in that space, I believe.

BTW, I didn't imply that Optima made a group 3EE battery - though Interstate does market a Group 3EE battery.

And the correct battery for the Avanti was a Willard:

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/3ew.htm

========================
    Martinez, CA

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

The battery for your car is a 3EE. They are available from a few suppliers. I am using one from interstate.
    I called our local Interstate distributor and asked if someone made a sealed Optima battery in that size, they said no.
    Anyone know different?

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• fmarshall
    replied
    The battery for your car is a 3EE. They are available from a few suppliers. I am using one from interstate. However, the best one to use will be the one with the highest cranking amps. And they are not all the same.

Some folks change to an Optima battery or relocate a battery in the trunk to get more power.

Another thing that you should have, if you don't have it already, is an Avanti Workshop Manual. Having that manual makes the rebuilding of the carb really straightforward, as it calls out which screws need to be sealed. There are carb rebuilders that state they can rebuild anything, but have no idea what these carbs require.

Warning to never run the engine above idle with the supercharger in operation and the blower disconnected from the carb.

Have fun ...

========================
    Martinez, CA

Leave a comment:

• MikeValent
    replied
    It appears that the broken hinge mount is left side. I can't remember whether the 63 had the hood opening support on that side or on the passenger side like the later models.In any event, that piece is a weak spot and on my 83 began to tear. The hood, supported only on one side, exerts a twisting force on the opposite-side hinge.

On mine, the passenger side hinge pad on the hood just broke loose from the hood before the driver's side hinge support crack became a full break like yours did. Mine's a driver, not intended to be a show car, so I plan to rig a hood support that will hole the hood up at the middle rear of the hood. That'll eliminate a lot of the stress built into the factory hood support arrangement. We're dealing with quite old chopper-gun fiberglas here. It's no longer very strong and (at least underhood) seems to be fairly brittle.

MikeV
    Pompano Beach, FL
    83 Avanti 377I

Leave a comment:

• 63r2
    replied
    John
    Welcome,
    Looking through your pictures I note your bonnet hinge issue. I'm not to sure that the fibreglass was cut out on the bonnet hinge.
    Mine has suffered the same problem and I assumed it was a weakness or maybe as a result of the front end damage.
    I wonder how common it is?
    Hinge pockets are available new if you want to replace the whole section.
    Have fun.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• unimogjohn
    replied
    All, thanks for the warm welcome and replies. I will keep you informed from time to time on my efforts to bring the car back from the brink.

Alan, cannot believe that you knew the car in 77. Must have been an early re-paint. Found evidence of a front end crash (glancing blow to the passenger fender) so maybe that was the start of the redo. I bought the car from Paul O. in Cranston, RI. He said that he bought it from his brother.

Thanks again. John

1963 Avanti R2

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    Welcome...and good luck with your new car.
    I'm in the middle of a restoration of my 63...which I'm leaving to an expert, so I've been busy buying parts, writing checks...

In addition to the SDC, I'd urge you to join the Avanti club...they have a great quarterly magazine with tech help and a Avanti specific forum.

Details at: www.aoai.org/

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    Wish you the very best of luck on your odyssey. I started an Avanti restoration endeavour in May of this year myself. Here's a few things to note: the Avanti serial numbers started at 1001, so your car was actually around the 1500th built. I own number R-2333. Also, check the motor serial number on the front of the engine block. An R2 engine should start with the letters RS. The rear frame part that looks like simple exhaust pipe is often an indicator of rust to be found elsewhere in the frame and/or hog troughs. I'm sure you will end up with a nice rare car that you'll be proud of. Congrats to your wife!

[img][/img]

edp/NC
    '63 Avanti
    '66 Commander

Leave a comment:

Working...
X