No announcement yet.

Newby with 63 Avanti R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't make one in that group size to my knowledge, but they will have one that will fit in that space, I believe.

BTW, I didn't imply that Optima made a group 3EE battery - though Interstate does market a Group 3EE battery.

And the correct battery for the Avanti was a Willard:

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/3ew.htm

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63r2

John
      Welcome,
      Looking through your pictures I note your bonnet hinge issue. I'm not to sure that the fibreglass was cut out on the bonnet hinge.
      Mine has suffered the same problem and I assumed it was a weakness or maybe as a result of the front end damage.
      I wonder how common it is?
      Hinge pockets are available new if you want to replace the whole section.
      Have fun.

Peter

The broken hinge pocket is a common issue, about 10% I've owned need the repair. I'd bet it's from a rusty hinge/ or prop or trying to shut the hood against the hood prop.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

John,

I see from the other forum that you're in Marshall, when you get it running head north on 29 would you? Love to see an Avanti in my neighborhood

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Don't spend any money on that carb. It's not a Stude AFB, early Mopar or Buick maybe but not Stude.

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

They don't make one in that group size to my knowledge, but they will have one that will fit in that space, I believe.
            BTW, I didn't imply that Optima made a group 3EE battery - though Interstate does market a Group 3EE battery.
            I didn't misinterpret what you wrote...it just prompted me to ask a question.
            I love Optimas...they're non stock of course, but I don't want anything to risk the paint

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I've seen an Avanti that, instead of using the 3EE battery, the owner used two Optima 6V batteries connected in series for 12V. They're slim batteries and fit in the same space as the 3EE. He also had to modify the hold downs.

Personally, I thought that, while inventive, it was a very expensive way to go to use Optima batteries. You can buy a lot of 3EE batteries for what that conversion cost.

BTW - the 3EE battery is primarily an industrial battery...you can find them at many, if not most suppliers that service that industry.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

This is the strongest 3EE that I have seen on the web:

http://www.gshields.com/itemdesc.asp...T-3EEE&eq=&Tp=

Anyone have any experience with them?

========================
                63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                Martinez, CA

Comment

Ordered the Interstate Battery today. You can see the specs at http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/Products/RT/PID-3EE-VHD(Commercial).aspx?dsNavigation=N%7e2147384794-4294490503-4282690357-2147384781&Title=Light+Truck%2fVan+Mega-Tron+-+400+CCA

Really close to the fork lift battery in the above post.

Also talked to Dave Thibeault and has validated that I do have an Avanti carb, I have asked him to rebuild it, and will delivery it to Hershey on Wednesday.

Waiting for the rad hoses to arrive to I can replace all my engine/cooling rubber and all other rubber lines. Have all new belts coming too.

1963 Avanti R2
                  John
                  1963 Avanti R2
                  Marshall, VA

Comment

Must be a different carb than I saw in the pictures. Due respect to Dave but the carb in the pictures is a Mopar carb. There is a Mopar part # that is one digit off 3826S as opposed to an Avanti R2 Carb 3825S.

He'll know what he has when he sees it.

BTW, it looks like a manual trans Mopar carb and some of those cores are valuable in their own right so don't trash it.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by unimogjohn

Ordered the Interstate Battery today. You can see the specs at http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/Products/RT/PID-3EE-VHD(Commercial).aspx?dsNavigation=N%7e2147384794-4294490503-4282690357-2147384781&Title=Light+Truck%2fVan+Mega-Tron+-+400+CCA

Really close to the fork lift battery in the above post.

Also talked to Dave Thibeault and has validated that I do have an Avanti carb, I have asked him to rebuild it, and will delivery it to Hershey on Wednesday.

Waiting for the rad hoses to arrive to I can replace all my engine/cooling rubber and all other rubber lines. Have all new belts coming too.

1963 Avanti R2

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

quote:

Also talked to Dave Thibeault and has validated that I do have an Avanti carb.
                      The carb in the picture is not an Avanti carb. This is an R-2 3588S carb.

Bob Langer
                      Glenshaw,PA

63R-2809 R-2

R-4137 R-1

Bob Langer
                      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Now that is a gorgeous Avanti 4 bbl carb if I ever saw one! Everything else around it looks pretty darn good too.

quote:Originally posted by Bob Langer

quote:

Also talked to Dave Thibeault and has validated that I do have an Avanti carb.
                        The carb in the picture is not an Avanti carb. This is an R-2 3588S carb.

Bob Langer
                        Glenshaw,PA

63R-2809 R-2

R-4137 R-1

edp/NC
                        '63 Avanti
                        '66 Commander
                        edp/NC
                        \'63 Avanti
                        \'66 Commander

Comment

Donald White is listed in the '71 AOA member roster with that car - it was green then too. Studebaker may have called the perforated seats "Deluxe", but they were the standard style as far as I know.

Looks like the car has found the right owner, good luck with the project.

I just can't see anything good coming out of trying to run the engine with a supercharger that has been forlorn for at least 30 years. Chances are that it was bypassed for a reason, no sense in shredding what is left just for starting up the engine. Its likely to have turned over the odometer at least once. Is the engine block also painted red, or just the intake manifold?

Thomas

Comment

Thomas, at your urging and several others I have sent the supercharger off today to Jon Myer.

I also found the serial number of the engine, and it is RS1669. Also someone asked if the block was also red in color, yes, it is the same red as the intake.

So the carb and the supercharger are off to rebuilders. Now will start replacing the rubber in the engine bay, cleaning, and scrubbing the interior. She is a very dirty girl.

1963 Avanti R2
                            John
                            1963 Avanti R2
                            Marshall, VA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2
                              Studebaker may have called the perforated seats "Deluxe", but they were the standard style as far as I know.
                              That topic was discussed here in some length awhile ago.
                              The base un-pleated perforated vinyl was called "Deluxe" and isn't often seen. Someone (JDP perhaps) found a car with it. It was the first time I'd ever seen one [u]with</u> the perforated seats.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

"She is a very dirty girl."

The kind you don't take home to Mother.[}]

Jamie McLeod