No announcement yet.

Sound deading material????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This subject was covered, repeatedly and quite thoroughly I think, on another site I'm a member on. It ended up with one member testing Dynamat and the sound deadeners found at Lowes or Home Depot, the backing used by upholsterers and carpeters, jute based sound deadener backed with aluminum sheet, and the type with alum sheet on both sides. He had them tested for both sound and heat reduction. Each subject was tested with extreme heat exposure, microscopic sound bombardment tests, and flexibility for installation. The differences were so minute as concerns sound deadening that his labs advice was to simply look for the best deal on price. The heat absorbtion or repulsion tests pointed to the ones with aluminum sheets on them to better do the job and the ones with alum sheets on both sides were only minimumly better than the ones with sheets on one side. The testers did say that the ones with alum on bothsides were easier to handle and install. They could be cut into small pieces to get into the tight corners and crevices, they could be put on in one-piece sheets that cover the length of the headliner with only one or two pieces. They did say though, that the spray on adhesives seemed to hold much tighter to the ones with alum sheets than to the others. The final conclusion was that no one single piece was clearly better than any other, at least not enough so as to make the price differences logical. In other words, use what type you want, the alum sheet type seems nominally better, but the big pricey name brands are not measureably better than any other they found. I personally found a man at a car show that had a truck load of the stuff with alum sheets on each side and bought a roll from him (enough to do 5 cars so far, and hopefully 6) for $40. I've been pretty happy with the effects I get when I use it; much quieter car, no tin-canning when I hit a bump or close the doors, much, much cooler interior after putting it in doors, quarter panels and headliner. Just thought I'd let you all know what was found on that site, just after we'd beaten the horse to death.

Jerry

Comment

I read a report similar to the one Jerry quotes from that reached similar conclusions, except warned people off products that contain asphalt in the "sandwich" between the alum sheets. These products are really made for construction purposes, not automotive ones, and inside a closed car on a hot day the asphalt tends to melt, lose shape, and smell terrible. If I recall, the report found HushMat and DynaMat to be virtually identical in performance and that Lizard Skin was close.

Comment

Working...
      X