R4 Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4 Studebakers

Were any R4's built or was it just a racing car[?][?][?] I was looking at a Swedish site with lots of Stude photos and saw it mentioned as none produced in 64 I think, maybe before that and in any case what was the R4 supposed to be[?][?][?]

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

The R4 is a dual 4 barrel 304.5 C.I. unsupercharged engine very much the same as the R3 Supercharged one, but with more compression. It was only rated at 280 HP to the 335 for the R3. They were a "production" super stock engine option available on all 1964 Stude. cars, even Wagonaires! Just as the R1, R2, R3 engines were, there just was not enough time after release of the option to plant closing to get them on the road. Andy and Vince Granatelli drove them at Bonneville salt flats, one in a '64 Daytona Convertible! The Granatelli's custom built both R3 & R4 at Paxton Products Div. of Studebaker Corp. in Santa Monica, California. A few were installed aftermarket in Avantis & Studes.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The R4 is a dual 4 barrel 304.5 C.I. unsupercharged engine very much the same as the R3 Supercharged one, but with more compression. It was only rated at 280 HP to the 335 for the R3. They were a "production" super stock engine option available on all 1964 Stude. cars, even Wagonaires! Just as the R1, R2, R3 engines were, there just was not enough time after release of the option to plant closing to get them on the road. Andy and Vince Granatelli drove them at Bonneville salt flats, one in a '64 Daytona Convertible! The Granatelli's custom built both R3 & R4 at Paxton Products Div. of Studebaker Corp. in Santa Monica, California. A few were installed aftermarket in Avantis & Studes.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

One R4 was build for production for a magazine article. (64 Hardtop)

JDP
        Arnold Md.
        Studebaker On The Net
        http://stude.com
        My Ebay Items
        http://www.stude.com/EBAY/

64 GT hawk
        64 Commander 2 dr.
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        63 Lark 2 door #2
        62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Hawk
        59 3E truck
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

One R4 was build for production for a magazine article. (64 Hardtop)

JDP
          Arnold Md.
          Studebaker On The Net
          http://stude.com
          My Ebay Items
          http://www.stude.com/EBAY/

64 GT hawk
          64 Commander 2 dr.
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          63 Lark 2 door #2
          62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Hawk
          59 3E truck
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Were any R4's built or was it just a racing car[?][?][?] I was looking at a Swedish site with lots of Stude photos and saw it mentioned as none produced in 64 I think, maybe before that and in any case what was the R4 supposed to be[?][?][?]

John Clements
            Lockleys South Australia

This is my R-4 which is on display at the Studebaker National Museum. It is one of the Granatelli-produced engines that was in stock after Studebaker stopped offering them when they shut down in South Bend. The "aftermarket" R-3s and R-4s were numbered with a "B" prefix. This R-4 is serial B-78. It and a R-3 were bought from Granatellis (Paxton Power Products) by a man in Birmingham, England in 1965. He intended to install them in two of his Studebakers (a '63 R-1 Avanti and a '64 GT Hawk), but he never got around to it. So, I bought the whole lot in 1985 (three and a half cars, a bunch of spares and the two crated engines) and had it shipped to the US. Both the R-3 and R-4 were on display at the museum until I sold the R-3 last year.
            Jon Myer told me that they think only eight R-4 engines were assembled (though components were available for do-it-yourself buyers). Jon also said that the R-4 was not a streetable engine, but was intended for full throttle running. As I recall, the one R-4 that Motor Trend assembled and drove back to California averaged 8 mpg of of premium gasoline on that trip. One of our Potomac Chapter members had a R-4 in a Wagonaire back in the late 60s/early 70s that he used for drag racing. Unfortunately he lost track of it.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

John Clements
              Lockleys South Australia

This is my R-4 which is on display at the Studebaker National Museum. It is one of the Granatelli-produced engines that was in stock after Studebaker stopped offering them when they shut down in South Bend. The "aftermarket" R-3s and R-4s were numbered with a "B" prefix. This R-4 is serial B-78. It and a R-3 were bought from Granatellis (Paxton Power Products) by a man in Birmingham, England in 1965. He intended to install them in two of his Studebakers (a '63 R-1 Avanti and a '64 GT Hawk), but he never got around to it. So, I bought the whole lot in 1985 (three and a half cars, a bunch of spares and the two crated engines) and had it shipped to the US. Both the R-3 and R-4 were on display at the museum until I sold the R-3 last year.
              Jon Myer told me that they think only eight R-4 engines were assembled (though components were available for do-it-yourself buyers). Jon also said that the R-4 was not a streetable engine, but was intended for full throttle running. As I recall, the one R-4 that Motor Trend assembled and drove back to California averaged 8 mpg of of premium gasoline on that trip. One of our Potomac Chapter members had a R-4 in a Wagonaire back in the late 60s/early 70s that he used for drag racing. Unfortunately he lost track of it.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Here is Ed's 1964 R4 with dual 4 barrels and 1 Paxton Supercharger.
                We brought our Avanti's out this weekend in Ft. Laudrdale for the Custom Car Show. That's Ed saying Hey in the pic below.

Comment

We brought our Avanti's out this weekend in Ft. Laudrdale for the Custom Car Show. That's Ed saying Hey in the pic below.

Comment

Thanks to all for their information

John Clements
                    Lockleys South Australia
                    John Clements

Comment

Thanks to all for their information

John Clements
                      Lockleys South Australia
                      John Clements

Comment

John,
                        there are a few R4 Motors in Australia.

The most famous is in Bert Needham's old 65 2 door sedan, that ran Studes to 3rd in class at Bathurst, Australia's greatest road race where the cars drive 1000 miles in one hit. This car also sported a set of 5 factory Halibrands, which I have in my posssesion, but rarely use ( I cant find the bloody wheel nuts )

Bert was a Studebaker dealer from the late 20's and kept servicing cars after Studebaker closed. I am sure the motor in that car is genuine. I have been for a ride in it and it pulls as hard as an R3. If ever there was a die hard Studebaker man that they needed to give the Victoria Cross to for bravery and sheer stpididy for driving Studebakers beyond their limits, it was Bert and his second wife Meg who also did straight line dragging in that car.

Bert also brought parts for another R4 into Australia. These came up for sale about 15 to 20 years ago in NSW. Heads, and manifold etc. I cant remember who bought them, but I was a little slow off the mark at responding to the ad, plus at 22 years old at the time I was probably into drinking loads and did not have the extra cash to spare.

The other R4's are Kevin Bell's 63 Avanti, delivered new into Hong Kong and refitted with an R4 which I think is genuine.

Also Charlie Swerkolt Snr has a 66 coupe (made from a 64 or 65) with an R4 motor, but I dont know if it is a genuine block.

The only 64 production car is Strato blue Daytona and is owned by all round nice guy Nelson Bove in Ohio

So John there is the heads up for you to get an R4 to loose your licence with in Adelaide....

Greg

Greg Diffen
                        Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
                        1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
                        1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
                        1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
                        1988 Avanti Convertible
                        Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                        1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                        1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                        1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                        1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                        1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                        1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

John,
                          there are a few R4 Motors in Australia.

The most famous is in Bert Needham's old 65 2 door sedan, that ran Studes to 3rd in class at Bathurst, Australia's greatest road race where the cars drive 1000 miles in one hit. This car also sported a set of 5 factory Halibrands, which I have in my posssesion, but rarely use ( I cant find the bloody wheel nuts )

Bert was a Studebaker dealer from the late 20's and kept servicing cars after Studebaker closed. I am sure the motor in that car is genuine. I have been for a ride in it and it pulls as hard as an R3. If ever there was a die hard Studebaker man that they needed to give the Victoria Cross to for bravery and sheer stpididy for driving Studebakers beyond their limits, it was Bert and his second wife Meg who also did straight line dragging in that car.

Bert also brought parts for another R4 into Australia. These came up for sale about 15 to 20 years ago in NSW. Heads, and manifold etc. I cant remember who bought them, but I was a little slow off the mark at responding to the ad, plus at 22 years old at the time I was probably into drinking loads and did not have the extra cash to spare.

The other R4's are Kevin Bell's 63 Avanti, delivered new into Hong Kong and refitted with an R4 which I think is genuine.

Also Charlie Swerkolt Snr has a 66 coupe (made from a 64 or 65) with an R4 motor, but I dont know if it is a genuine block.

The only 64 production car is Strato blue Daytona and is owned by all round nice guy Nelson Bove in Ohio

So John there is the heads up for you to get an R4 to loose your licence with in Adelaide....

Greg

Greg Diffen
                          Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
                          1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
                          1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
                          1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
                          1988 Avanti Convertible
                          Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                          1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                          1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                          1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                          1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                          1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                          1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Thanks for posting that pic of Ed's engine Jerry....
                            Does it have power steering?
                            That should shoot in the head the notion that you can't package 'everything including the litchen sink' under the hood of an Avanti.
                            I especially like the air cleaner/box.
                            Can you fill us in on the details about that piece?
                            Thanks,
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by geojerry

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                            Brooklet, Georgia
                            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                            '61 Hawk (project)
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for posting that pic of Ed's engine Jerry....
                              Does it have power steering?
                              That should shoot in the head the notion that you can't package 'everything including the litchen sink' under the hood of an Avanti.
                              I especially like the air cleaner/box.
                              Can you fill us in on the details about that piece?
                              Thanks,
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by geojerry

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                              Brooklet, Georgia
                              '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                              '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                              '61 Hawk (project)
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X