Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti and Maserati Mistral - kissing cousins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by rockne10

We know the Loewy Studio was involved in the design of a number of European models before they were called upon to whip the Avanti together in a short period of time. Someone with the time to research it could probably identify which specific makes and models came from their drawing board.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    33 Rockne 10
    51 commander Starlight
    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
    As far as I know, Frua had nothing to do with Loewy's business.

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by avantilover
    It also resembles the Jensen Interceptor a British car with a Chrysler Hemi engine and Torqueflite Automatic Transmission.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    [/quote]

Agreed, but the Jensen Interceptor came along much later.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by avantilover
    It also resembles the Jensen Interceptor a British car with a Chrysler Hemi engine and Torqueflite Automatic Transmission.

John Clements
    Lockleys South Australia
    [/quote]

Agreed, but the Jensen Interceptor came along much later.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    We know the Loewy Studio was involved in the design of a number of European models before they were called upon to whip the Avanti together in a short period of time. Someone with the time to research it could probably identify which specific makes and models came from their drawing board.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    33 Rockne 10
    51 commander Starlight
    53 Commander Starlight

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    33 Rockne 10
    51 commander Starlight
    53 Commander Starlight

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Scott

I was rummaging through the internet today and found these interesting pictures of the Maserati Mistral (as shown in late 1963). The Maserati was designed by P. Frua, who was also doing serious custom work for a "European style" Lark. Anyway, I thought this was a beautiful car and the more I look at it the more likeness I see to Avantis. Even the interior is uncannily familiar. I wonder if Frua had seen the Avanti design before he did this, or whether there was just something in the air. The exterior looks like a cross between an Avanti and a Corvette, and the interior has Avanti cues all over it. Does anyone know more about the Maserati designs?

John Clements
    Lockleys South Australia

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Scott

I was rummaging through the internet today and found these interesting pictures of the Maserati Mistral (as shown in late 1963). The Maserati was designed by P. Frua, who was also doing serious custom work for a "European style" Lark. Anyway, I thought this was a beautiful car and the more I look at it the more likeness I see to Avantis. Even the interior is uncannily familiar. I wonder if Frua had seen the Avanti design before he did this, or whether there was just something in the air. The exterior looks like a cross between an Avanti and a Corvette, and the interior has Avanti cues all over it. Does anyone know more about the Maserati designs?

John Clements
    Lockleys South Australia

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    started a topic Avanti and Maserati Mistral - kissing cousins?

Avanti and Maserati Mistral - kissing cousins?

Working...
X