Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti and Maserati Mistral - kissing cousins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a good picture of seats in a Mistral. Look familiar? I looked at pictures of Corvettes of the same period and their seats don't look like Avanti seats, so it isn't just that everyone had the same kinds of patterns. The Mistral's seats look a little more comfortable than the regular Avanti seats, but the similarity seems to be more than coincidence. I wonder how much a Mistral sold for new compared to an Avanti?

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Here's a good picture of seats in a Mistral. Look familiar? I looked at pictures of Corvettes of the same period and their seats don't look like Avanti seats, so it isn't just that everyone had the same kinds of patterns. The Mistral's seats look a little more comfortable than the regular Avanti seats, but the similarity seems to be more than coincidence. I wonder how much a Mistral sold for new compared to an Avanti?

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I don't believe the Jensen Interceptor ever had a Hemi. I think they were all equipped with 383's.
        Dick, they did come with 440s...(Unfortunatly, I just recycled a recent Classic and Sports Car..my favorite car magazine from the U.K....that had a huge article in Jensens.)
        Still, I found this on Wikipedia:
        "The engine was a Chrysler V-8 initially of 6276 cc (383 c.i.) with optional manual (Mk I, only few built) or TorqueFlite automatic transmissions driving the rear wheels through a Powr-Lok differential in conventional Dana rear axle. The engine grew to 7212 cc (440 c.i.) in late 1971 with 4-bbl carburation. The SP (Six-Pack) model of 1971-73 offered 3x2-bbl carburation, only 232 built and has the distinction of being the most powerful car ever to have been made by Jensen."

As I recall most had 440s. Certainly, most of the ones I saw in the U.K....and the few I've seen in tyhe U.S....did.

I'm just glad I don't have to fill their tanks in the U.K. with $6 a gallon gas.
        Still, it's a great luxury European GT. I wouldn't mind having one...especially since I can't swing an Aston Martin and Jensens are relatively cheap. A # 3 car sold at the August Silver Reno auction for about $7,000. It needed paint, but seemed to be a good driver.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I don't believe the Jensen Interceptor ever had a Hemi. I think they were all equipped with 383's.
          Dick, they did come with 440s...(Unfortunatly, I just recycled a recent Classic and Sports Car..my favorite car magazine from the U.K....that had a huge article in Jensens.)
          Still, I found this on Wikipedia:
          "The engine was a Chrysler V-8 initially of 6276 cc (383 c.i.) with optional manual (Mk I, only few built) or TorqueFlite automatic transmissions driving the rear wheels through a Powr-Lok differential in conventional Dana rear axle. The engine grew to 7212 cc (440 c.i.) in late 1971 with 4-bbl carburation. The SP (Six-Pack) model of 1971-73 offered 3x2-bbl carburation, only 232 built and has the distinction of being the most powerful car ever to have been made by Jensen."

As I recall most had 440s. Certainly, most of the ones I saw in the U.K....and the few I've seen in tyhe U.S....did.

I'm just glad I don't have to fill their tanks in the U.K. with $6 a gallon gas.
          Still, it's a great luxury European GT. I wouldn't mind having one...especially since I can't swing an Aston Martin and Jensens are relatively cheap. A # 3 car sold at the August Silver Reno auction for about $7,000. It needed paint, but seemed to be a good driver.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE
            [blue]Dick, they did come with 440s
            Well, that makes sense. Bigger IS better [^] and I think the 440 is the same block as the 383. Thanks for the correction.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE
              [blue]Dick, they did come with 440s
              Well, that makes sense. Bigger IS better [^] and I think the 440 is the same block as the 383. Thanks for the correction.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

You're probably right about the engine Dick, I knew it had a Chrysler V8.

John Clements
                Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

You're probably right about the engine Dick, I knew it had a Chrysler V8.

John Clements
                  Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                  Lockleys South Australia
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                  X