Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti and Maserati Mistral - kissing cousins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti and Maserati Mistral - kissing cousins?

I was rummaging through the internet today and found these interesting pictures of the Maserati Mistral (as shown in late 1963). The Maserati was designed by P. Frua, who was also doing serious custom work for a "European style" Lark. Anyway, I thought this was a beautiful car and the more I look at it the more likeness I see to Avantis. Even the interior is uncannily familiar. I wonder if Frua had seen the Avanti design before he did this, or whether there was just something in the air. The exterior looks like a cross between an Avanti and a Corvette, and the interior has Avanti cues all over it. Does anyone know more about the Maserati designs?

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I was rummaging through the internet today and found these interesting pictures of the Maserati Mistral (as shown in late 1963). The Maserati was designed by P. Frua, who was also doing serious custom work for a "European style" Lark. Anyway, I thought this was a beautiful car and the more I look at it the more likeness I see to Avantis. Even the interior is uncannily familiar. I wonder if Frua had seen the Avanti design before he did this, or whether there was just something in the air. The exterior looks like a cross between an Avanti and a Corvette, and the interior has Avanti cues all over it. Does anyone know more about the Maserati designs?
    It also resembles the Jensen Interceptor a British car with a Chrysler Hemi engine and Torqueflite Automatic Transmission.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

It also resembles the Jensen Interceptor a British car with a Chrysler Hemi engine and Torqueflite Automatic Transmission.

John Clements
      Lockleys South Australia
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

We know the Loewy Studio was involved in the design of a number of European models before they were called upon to whip the Avanti together in a short period of time. Someone with the time to research it could probably identify which specific makes and models came from their drawing board.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

We know the Loewy Studio was involved in the design of a number of European models before they were called upon to whip the Avanti together in a short period of time. Someone with the time to research it could probably identify which specific makes and models came from their drawing board.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

John Clements
            Lockleys South Australia
            [/quote]

Agreed, but the Jensen Interceptor came along much later.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

John Clements
              Lockleys South Australia
              [/quote]

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                33 Rockne 10
                51 commander Starlight
                53 Commander Starlight

As far as I know, Frua had nothing to do with Loewy's business.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  33 Rockne 10
                  51 commander Starlight
                  53 Commander Starlight

As far as I know, Frua had nothing to do with Loewy's business.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE
                    The Jensen Interceptor was made from '66-76. The Mistral from '63-'70.

I don't believe the Jensen Interceptor ever had a Hemi. I think they were all equipped with 383's.

IMHO, the Mistral is a beautiful car and it flatters the Avanti to compare it to one. OTOH, I've never been a big fan of the Interceptor styling [xx(]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't believe the Jensen Interceptor ever had a Hemi. I think they were all equipped with 383's.

IMHO, the Mistral is a beautiful car and it flatters the Avanti to compare it to one. OTOH, I've never been a big fan of the Interceptor styling [xx(]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA
                        I would lost a bet I had with myself, I would have swore I have seen a jenson or two with 440's in them[?] One more thing I gotta go look up, Thanks Dick[]

Randy_G
                        www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA
                          I would lost a bet I had with myself, I would have swore I have seen a jenson or two with 440's in them[?] One more thing I gotta go look up, Thanks Dick[]

Randy_G
                          www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Randy_G

I would lost a bet I had with myself, I would have swore I have seen a jenson or two with 440's in them[?]
                            It certainly could be. They were rather limited production cars and you could probably get most anything you wanted (for enough $$$ and within reason).

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Randy_G

I would lost a bet I had with myself, I would have swore I have seen a jenson or two with 440's in them[?]
                              It certainly could be. They were rather limited production cars and you could probably get most anything you wanted (for enough $$$ and within reason).

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X