Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars in LIFE - must see

http://www.life.com/image/50656715/i...ad-real-curves

Numbers 25 and 26 will be especially interesting to you.

Richard Quinn
    past editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

OK, number 34 too, it is a '41 Commander or President Land Cruiser, probably shot in '40. You can buy framed prints of most any of these directly from LIFE for $119.00.

Richard Quinn
    Richard Quinn

Comment

All of the pictures are great, but the color photos (especially the Stude assembly line), are fantastic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Yes. I concur. LIFE came to Studebaker in the summer of 1946 and shot dozens of photos of the plant, the cars and the people and included 26 of them (25 in color) in the September 26, 1946 issue. The two shown as nos. 25 and 26 were not included in that article. I am sure they must have many more "out takes." It would be great to see all of them.
        Incidentally, I have already scanned all of the 26 photos from the LIFE article.

Richard Quinn
        Richard Quinn

Comment

Who else is with Loewy ? Is that Bob Bourke in the white shirt?

That assy line shot looks like it could have been taken last week. Most old color pictures from the 40s and 50s I have seen from magazines and so forth look sort of cartoonish with the colors, but this one looks "real".

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H
            That assy line shot looks like it could have been taken last week. Most old color pictures from the 40s and 50s I have seen from magazines and so forth look sort of cartoonish with the colors, but this one looks "real".
            They appear to be digitally scanned negatives or transparencies; and nothing will bring an old image to life (no 'pun' intended, btw) like a digital scan.

In RQ's previous post here about old Life magazine photos ( http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=life+magazine ) , I expressed interest if they were digital scans. Now that these two color photos are on their website, I have every reason to believe they have been processed in a digital format. Let's see if they can digitally process the photo of that '47 wagon in the September 16, 1946 Life...

Craig

Comment

Yes, that is Bob Bourke in the background. The girl I believe is Audrey Moore Hodges who was hired by Loewy in 1944. She was one of the first women to work in automotive design. She is credited with designing the hood ornament (torpedo in a circle) used for both the cars and trucks of the late 40's into the 50's. She later worked on interior design for the Tucker. The man at left I do not recognize.

Richard Quinn
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Observation: Wally Schirra owned a Maserati. But he drove a Toronado

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard
                http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Issue No. 27 ain't bad either.......

toyman

Comment

I kinda like photo #27 the best.[:I]

Comment

That is an awesome slideshow.

Studebaker classifieds! www.studeswap.com

Comment

#22 is just too darn cute. I want one. Ok, throw in 27, I'll take it.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I'll take a 27 too as long as it is fully equipped as shown / not what it looks like now.
                          Dean Pearson.

Comment

The LIFE magazine article from 1946 was originally discussed last November at http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=24143

At that time I had posted the photo above along with others.

Richard Quinn
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

I would suspect that the photo (#25) of Lowey must have been taken in the engineering building (SASCO). The windows and columns look the same as they exist now.

Comment

Working...
                              X