Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOS R4 Engine on ebay. Don't bid... I want it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS R4 Engine on ebay. Don't bid... I want it.

Looks like for the very short time being, I'm in the lead on the bidding for the NOS R4 engine. If no one else bids, maybe he'll let me have for my paltry bid ? ? ? ? ? I know... not likely, but c'mon, stranger things have happened, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_658wt_1080
    sals54
    sals54

Paul, it's sad that you lost the crate for this at the Museum. What a piece of history that is, wow! [^][^][^]
    I'm not taking out another mortgage, so you're safe from one of us, Sal.

Comment

That is amazing, I would have thought they were all scooped up by people and museums by now.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Maybe someone will ante up and buy it to keep it in the museum. I would think with today's fuels it would surely not be able to be run with anything short of racing gasoline.

Al Reed
        North Bay Area, CA

sigpicAl Reed
        North Bay Area, CA
        1961 Lark Regal Skytop
        1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

Ya Sal you might get it but I will be you that it will cost more than double my first house here in California in 1962, so dig deep ifyou want it.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
          canbstudebakers-
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Ya Sal you might get it but I will be you that it will cost more than double my first house here in California in 1962, so dig deep ifyou want it.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
            canbstudebakers-

Bob, I've been wanting to tell you, I love that photo of you in the Avanti! Really captures a lot of the essence of what the Avanti was all about.

Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
            '64 Daytona Hardtop
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

I'm just kiddin', I could'nt buy that beautiful piece of history anyhoo. I wouldn't mind building a clone though. I'm wondering how small the carbs would have to be to make it work ? ? ? ? ?

sals54
              sals54

Comment

Good luck with the sale, Paul [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hah! Now it's MINE![}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sal, I appreciate you starting this thread. I was trying to figure out how to start it without being a blatant advertiser.
                    Racing fuel- very likely. This thing has a 12:1 compression ratio. I have had several conversations about R-4s with Jon Myer, certainly an Avanti expert. He thinks the R-4s are not a streetable engine- way over carbureted for low speed operation.
                    Lost crates- you bet I was unhappy about that. I took the engines to South Bend at the beginning of an International Meet. The Museum was busy getting ready and would not let me unpack the engines and set them up so I had no choice, but to leave the crates. An unamed Board Member assured me that they would be ok. Not only did I lose the crates, but the R-3 crate contained the R-3 air cleaner (unobtainium), and the air hose and grommet that went through inner fender. Later, in the Museum the supercharger belts idler pulley and belts diasppeared too. To be clear, I'm not blaming current Museum staff. I think they are doing a great job. Andy Beckman removed the R-4 air cleaner for safekeeping so I guess they still have a problem with walking exhibits.
                    Dylan, these engines have quite a story behind their survival. Read the listing for a good part of the story. I actually got them from a very terse ad in Turning Wheels in '84 or '85. I corresponded with the seller, a really neat guy, for some time. He was then 65 years old, a bachelor, World War II RAF pilot (Spitfires). He loved performance cars and was apparently intrigued by Avantis. He had a very late '64 R-2 that he bought new in London. He was living in Ireland in '65 and had a truck pull out in front of him on a wet Irish road. Hitting it wiped out the left front of the Avanti and, while it would repairable now, it was totaled then. He completely disassembled the car and packed everything away except the body shell and the frame. I don't remember exactly when he bought it, but he also had a low miles '63 R-1 that the English singer, Shirley Bassey (Goldfinger theme), had bought new in the US and shipped to England. Then he had a '64 GT Hawk, right-hand-drive, that he bought new in London. That was his daily driver- was rigged to run on propane as well as gasoline. Somewhere along the line he bought a fully equipped '60 Hawk from an American diplomat. Anyhow, then I was working and making a little money so I planned a trip to England and the wife and went to Birmingham. The GT was in his lady friend's garage there. He took to to the warehouse in Birmingham where he had some of the wrecked Avanti stuff stored- VERY memorable experience rumbling down the narrow streets of Birmingham in a Hawk!! Next day he flew us to Cork, Ireland where the other cars, the engines and a LOT of spares were stored. Both the '60 Hawk and the R-1 Avanti had the engines partly taken apart. Being a pilot he was maintaining the cars to aircraft standards (valve jobs at 30,000 miles, etc.). He had many offers for the R engines alone, but he wanted to sell the entire lot. To make a long story a little shorter, I made him an offer, we got together, and in early '86 he packed everything in to two 40-foot ocean containers and a few weeks later everything was in Baltimore. I made three trips to Baltimore (about 70 miles) with my Dodge van and car trailer and carried the stuff home (drove the '64 GT and had a friend drive the van on one trip). I got the two cars put together and running very easily and sold them right away. I sold much of the '64 Avanti stuff too (had to get some money back). I kept the GT for several years- it was fun to drive sitting on the "wrong" side. I then sold it to a man who was going to put it in a museum, but he died and the car disappeared. It showed up finally on a Detroit Craigslist a couple years ago and a Forum member bought it.
                    I put the two R engines in the Museum sort of to share with the Studebaker world and partly to provide "better" storage for them. I just had them in the crates in my barn. About four years ago I sort of casually mentioned on the old Stude
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

To Sal's question on R4 carburetion, I would think the same size carbs the GM used on the 283 with dual 4V's used in 1957. Of course I don't know if that engine suffered from over carburetion either. Maybe a set of 300 CFM's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

What is up with the automatic flywheel bolts? I thought the R-4 was too radical for an automatic trans.

Comment

Paul: Being an old time Studebaker enthusiast, I have heard various horror stories over the years about 'things' disappearing from the museum. I was hoping that those days were past and the new 'administration' had put a clamp on that type activity. Apparently that is not the case and I am deeply troubled by the continuing thought that donated/loaned items could disappear. That lingering reputation is definitely not good for the growth of 'our' museum.

toyman

Comment

I had an Avanti of mine leave the SNM without me finding out until after the fact. That was in 1988-1989. That experience cost me thousands of dollars.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That is a incredible story about how you got them, thanks for telling me. Those thefts in the museum are amazing as well, how in the heck can you get out a entire avanti?

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                              Dylan Wills
                              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
                              X