Studebaker wreck in Fla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker wreck in Fla

Don and Edith Pfeiffer had a wreck in a Studebaker over the weekend on I 40 in Orlando. I understand they were not too seriously injuried. I think Don spent a night or two in the hospital but is going to be OK.(Thank you Lord!)
    Don and Edith have a Beautiful M series, and a very nice 58 Transtar. Does anyone know which truck was involved? or how badly it was damaged?
    These are some great people. I'm glad they were not hurt any worse. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Neil Thornton

My understanding is that it was the Transtar.

Pat Skelly
    '62 GT Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

I can't think of a post war Studebaker I'd less like to have a wreck in. No crumple zone there.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Gordon

Comment

I rode my Transtar thru a total on June 8th of 1995. I was travelling 40MPH when a Dodge truck with a utility bed surged away from a stop sign and smashed the right front quadrant of the Transtar. Spun the Transtar around, about 100 degrees and bent the front axle. Of course, the fender and the hood were toast and even the cab got distorted because it's A-pillars were rusted almost to nothing at their bases because the truck had spent too many years near the ocean. But the worst that happened to me was that I was bounced around a bit and scraped my knuckles on the vent wing. Banged my right knee on the dash too. Didn't hurt the frame tho. Didn't hurt the doors or the bed either.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yikes![:0] Hope everyone is OK and the truck can be saved. The one situation when you wish your C-Cab was the 2 Ton HD model.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island Chapter
            http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I can't think of a post war Studebaker I'd less like to have a wreck in. No crumple zone there.

JDP/Maryland
              I think a Zip Van would be nightmarish!![:0][:0][:0]

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I think it was their Transtar, like Pat said.

Current restoration project, that they used to tow the restored M5 to shows with.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockinhawk

Don and Edith Pfeiffer had a wreck in a Studebaker over the weekend on I 40 in Orlando... NT
                  sorry about the accident and I hope they are OK. Not to be a "smart aleck"... but for them to have a wreck on I-40 in Orlando would be understandable if they happened to be on I-40 and the interstate suddenly re-located itself several states to the south!

(OK...I guess I am a "smart aleck")

Seriously, I hate to hear of these incidents. How many of you have had near accidents from someone pulling alongside admiring your ride while their hands nearly steered their car into yours? I have had this to happen to me several times. Anybody know the details of this particular accident?

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                  SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was I-4. That is one of the worst stretches of road east of California!

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

sorry about the extra ZERO in my original post. It was I-4. but it has been known to relocate it's self due to sink holes underneath.
                      It seems there was an accident on the other side of the hiway. Someone stopped suddenly in front of Don. To keep from hitting them, He swerved on to the medium, and bounced off the gard rail a couple of times. I heard his seat belt failed and he was ejected. Edith then unbuckled and crossed the cab to stop the truck. NT

Neil Thornton
                      Hazlehurst, GA
                      '57 Silver Hawk
                      '56 Sky Hawk
                      '51 2R16 dump truck
                      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I-4 can be treacherous. I was running in the right lane with the traffic which was probably a little too fast. A young fellow in a Trans AM passed me and several others on the right on the grass which was flying all over. I would guess he was doing 80 mph. His car was not very stable on the irregular surface, but he kept correcting and eventually cut in and resumed passing more cars. Never saw anyone do that stunt before. He was a danger to himself and all the other people on the road. Maybe he wanted to be first in line at Disneyworld!

It is hoped the Pfeiffers make a quick recovery.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
                        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

on I-4 you got to watch for gator's too. hope every one a speedy recoverity.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

I just saw this now. I work Orlando and most other areas of Central Florida. If the owners need an estimate for the repairs, I'd be happy to help out.

Any idea if the truck has insurance on it? I was just in Orlando today looking at a '68 Volkswagen Beetle. I planned on being back in Orlando on Monday or Tuesday.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockinhawk

sorry about the extra ZERO in my original post. It was I-4. but it has been known to relocate it's self due to sink holes underneath.
                              It seems there was an accident on the other side of the hiway. Someone stopped suddenly in front of Don. To keep from hitting them, He swerved on to the medium, and bounced off the gard rail a couple of times. I heard his seat belt failed and he was ejected. Edith then unbuckled and crossed the cab to stop the truck. NT

Neil Thornton
                              Hazlehurst, GA
                              '57 Silver Hawk
                              '56 Sky Hawk
                              '51 2R16 dump truck
                              Many others.

Ejected from the truck, and he's still alive? GOOD LORD![:0] I hope Don wasn't hurt too very badly![B)] He's very lucky just to be alive! And Edith sliding over to stop the truck, wow![:0]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X