Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caravan to Glendale

Hi Folks !
    I'm wondering about the interest in a caravan starting in Missouri and ending up in Glendale - following the old Route 66 as closely as possible. I had talked to a few members about this in the past and one had thought he would plan the caravan, unfortunately he has planned part of the trip but can't participate.
    He has asked my wife and I if we would take it over and we are wondering if there was any interest.
    Let us know.
    Dave

I could go along from Beaumont to Riverside...

Comment

I'd like to go but I have a modified Studebaker and 2 flats on the trailer.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

My understanding is that Al Meeker (from IA) is puting together a caravan as you discribed. The Ozark Trails Chapter has already voted to host a tailgate party the Saturday night before the caravan starts. This would be in Joplin or Carthage, MO depending on Al's plans. I believe Al intends to start the caravan the Sunday one week before the International starts. Al has done this at least once before and I heard it was well planned and everyone had a good time.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Al is who contacted me.
          His circumstances have changed and he isn't going to be able to make the trip
          Dave

Comment

If you go forward with the trip please let me know so that the Ozark Trails can give you a good send off.

Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO
            President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

We were with Al on the 2005 trip to Spokane, had a great time and made a lot of new friends. I was hesitant to mention his name because I wasn't sure he wanted me to. We are "testing the waters" as to if there is any interest before we answer him.
              And St2de5 - you've got till May to get those tires fixed !!!! Come on along, we had about 33 people and 16 cars on the last one.
              Dave

Comment

We were with Al on the 2005 trip to Spokane, had a great time and made a lot of new friends. I was hesitant to mention his name because I wasn't sure he wanted me to. We are "testing the waters" as to if there is any interest before we answer him.
                And St2de5 - you've got till May to get those tires fixed !!!! Come on along, we had about 33 people and 16 cars on the last one.
                Dave

Comment

Hmmmm, this sounds like fun. Get to Missouri by when? I may be ready to just go to Glendale, California while I'm at it after winter. What the heck. [^]

Comment

FYI West Coasters~

Preliminary plans are being made for a Can-Am Zone caravan by way of SoCal
                    for the La Palma Show in Anaheim on Sunday, and then continuing on from there...

Details to follow-
                    watch for them in the 2010 Meet Forum.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                    Ferndale, WA

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I took Al and Marlene on a short tour of hwy 66 and points of interest in SW Missouri and SE Kansas last year. They were doing preliminary planning for the tour on 66 to Glendale, AZ for the 2010 meet. As Gary Sanders has state above, the Ozark Trails Chapter has already discussed helping the tour in our area. I would like to travel at least some of the tour with the caravan if it works out OK. The Meekers have accumulated a lot of information that would be passed on to a tourmaster.

Jim Caldwell
                      "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

Comment

That sounds like a great idea for a road trip.[] Actually where I work people are always wondering what they are going to do when they retire ( its amazing that some people actually dont really have any hobbies ) they should just get a studebaker anyways when I retire I plan on hoping into my studebaker and drive route 66 ( or as much of it as I can ) and drive all the way to Chicago , go to see the Cubs play at Wrigley field ( no I am not a Cubs fan ) sit there and enjoy a hot dog on a autumn afternoon.[8D]

Comment

Gee, have any plans been made for a Route 99 to route 66 trip to Glendale AZ been formulated? Or even Hwy 101 to Route 66. I'm not sure my Studes would be able to do that long of a trip... then again, there is plenty of time...

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ohcruiser

Hi Folks !
                            I'm wondering about the interest in a caravan starting in Missouri and ending up in Glendale - following the old Route 66 as closely as possible. I had talked to a few members about this in the past and one had thought he would plan the caravan, unfortunately he has planned part of the trip but can't participate.
                            He has asked my wife and I if we would take it over and we are wondering if there was any interest.
                            Let us know.
                            This has been mentioned in other threads in the past, but to rehash, the Potomac Chapter traveled Route 66 from St. Louis to the end of the pier at Santa Monica, CA in 2003. The writeup is still on the Potomac Chapter website (some pix missing). You may want to review http://www.studebaker-info.org/Route66/tripticket.html to plan for stops at attractions along the route. In any case, it's a great trip and I highly recommend doing it.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Gee, have any plans been made for a Route 99 to route 66 trip to Glendale AZ been formulated? Or even Hwy 101 to Route 66. I'm not sure my Studes would be able to do that long of a trip... then again, there is plenty of time... Ron Smith
                              That's not a bad idea Ron-- I hadn't even thought of those Routes!!!
                              As many trips between SoCal and the NorthWest as I've made-
                              not once have I gone that way. (Well, 99 part of the way a time or two.)
                              I'll have to look into those...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC