A Ssssstudebaker surprise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Ssssstudebaker surprise.

As a few of you would be aware I found my old '62 Hawk that I sold in '76, and bought her back. She had spent the last 33 yrs in the weather and is in really bad shape, I got her for parts only. We've had a warm start to our summer, and the local reptiles are in full mating season - therefore, don't mess with them. I was surprised when dragging the Hawk onto the tilt tray that there wern't any snakes living underneath her - I was ready with a big stick, and also had my running shoes on

After getting her off the tilt tray at home, my son and I had a seat in her, had a few beers, while I regaled him with stories of my miss spent youth when I was terrorising my home town in her. Next morning I opened the door to get in a and have another sit - sad isn't it[:I], and saw this just before jumping into the front seat. We had brought back a 4' Red Bellied Black Snake, death at first bite. (Did you know adrenalin is brown)[:0]
    The snake was latter removed, and a with much banging and poking with sticks it was agreed that he was the only one that had hitch hiked to the big smoke. I will be very careful when dismantleing her, particularly with inner guards etc.

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

quote:Originally posted by Aussie Hawk

(Did you know adrenalin is brown)[:0]
    You made me laugh out loud with that one! Did YOU know iced tea out the nose burns??

Thanks for making my skin crawl with that snake story

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:
      You made me laugh out loud with that one! Did YOU know iced tea out the nose burns??
      Sounds like a fountain drink to me![8D]

Fred

**I'm not the best speller...FireFox catches most of my mistakes, but I use IE at work**

Comment

You made me look for a photo of one...nasty sucker.
        [img][/img]

I'm glad I wasn't visiting, I would have just grabbed that because it looked like brand new wind lace stashed under that carpet to me. [:0]

Comment

Growing up here in Oz, with 95% of our snakes that will kill you, (along with most other critters here), and with a Dad who was from the country, his advice growing up was: Leave 'em alone, and they will leave you alone - if ya don't, ya f*%ked (no, I only made the last bit up. But I know enough to leave ANY Aussie snakes alone. To say my blood ran cold when I saw it, would be an understatement. The snake catcher that removed 'my' sleeping red bellied black, said he'd been chased 100 yards by a King Brown the day before, (another one of our friendly snakes),they are just nasty. He suffers from a form of Tourettes when confronted with a 'lively' snake - I gather, he meant the'F' word comes out a lot.[:I]

Now I just have to take my old Hawk apart before the Red Back spiders take up residence - ain't it grand living in a country where most of the wild life will kill you

Matt
          Brisbane
          Australia
          Matt
          Brisbane
          Australia
          sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

You made me look for a photo of one...nasty sucker.
            [img][/img]

I'm glad I wasn't visiting, I would have just grabbed that because it looked like brand new wind lace stashed under that carpet to me. [:0]
            Same here, that looked like later model corrugated wire sleeving to me.
            Rob in ND
            \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

I hate surprizes like that! Here where I live, the only snakes are Gopher Snakes. They won't even take a stand unless you corner them. I've grabbed them by the tail and dragged them out of harms way more than once. They like to sun themselves on two-lane blacktop druing the winter months.[B)]

With some of the retired cars that have set here for months and years, I'm always wary about poking around in them after they've set undisturbed for a time. I've been confronted by Tomcats, possum, rodents, wasps and various spiders.[:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Speaking of wasps, I broke a broom recently evicting them from Ed.

Hey Matt, that shot with the Hawk on the edge of the 'tilt tray' looks just like Southern California with the Gum trees in the background.

Hang on... the snakes actually chase one about, there down under[?] YIKES![:0][}] And here I thought we had it bad with rattle snakes!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Speaking of wasps, I broke a broom recently evicting them from Ed. Ron Smith
                  We've used up so many cans of wasp/hornet spray-- I have lost count!!!
                  There are fewer hornets buzzing around here these days--
                  it makes for much easier Stude re-arranging out back... [^]

Gotta go get to it-- later.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  Ferndale, WA

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                  '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                  '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                  '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                  '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                  '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Crikee...(or however it's spelled)...
                    (Say this with your best Steve Irwin/Paul Hogan imitation)
                    That's a snake!

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I went through more than a couple cans of spider spray "extincting" a passel of Black Widows this year. Final count: 17 of them under the Studebaker.

Last month, we had the first snake on the property that I've seen in years. Big, and I mean big, gopher snake slithered right past my ankles into my garage to cool off under the Pontiac on one of our hotter days. I'd known he was around because there were no gophers and he kept leaving his skins laying about

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard
                      http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                      www.studebakersandiego.com
                      Clark in San Diego
                      '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
                      http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey Ron, you got me, I actually live in Southern California, I've just been pretending to be an Aussie[:0] I retieved the Hawk from a town called Dalby, it's about a three hour drive west of me, (I'm on the east coast about half way up), to put it in perspective, what you guys call the 'Outback', starts about another two hours drive further west. The area around Dalby is very flat, very boring to drive to, and the Cops are thick along the highway, I guess catching the bored drivers who put their foot down.

Only some of the snakes down her actually chase you, and as now is their breeding season they are a little techy, but yeah the snake catcher said the King Brown really wanted a piece of him. The main non-venomous snakes around are pythons, (we call them carpet snakes because the pattens on their backs look like old fashion carpet pattens), they will bite you if you rile them, but mostley they just high tail it when disturbed.

JBoyle: I can deal with Paul Hogan, but a LOT of us down here cringe when we hear that 'Crikey'. Steve Erwin's zoo is about an hours drive north of me, and they advertise on the radio all the time - It starts with his wife, (who is originally from your neck of the woods), saying 'Crikey' in an American acent - groan[V]

Matt
                        Brisbane
                        Australia
                        Matt
                        Brisbane
                        Australia
                        sigpic

Comment

quote:
                          JBoyle: I can deal with Paul Hogan, but a LOT of us down here cringe when we hear that 'Crikey'. Steve Erwin's zoo is about an hours drive north of me, and they advertise on the radio all the time - It starts with his wife, (who is originally from your neck of the woods), saying 'Crikey' in an American acent - groan[V]
                          You have my sincere sympathy. Nothing is worse than a person from one country trying to talk in local "lingo".
                          My wife (who is English) hates it when I do my terrible English or Scottish accent...I make Dick Van Dyke (with his terrible Mary Poppins accent) sound like Winston Churchill.
                          Why the UK hasn't deported Modonna (and her phoney accent) is byond my comprehension.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

G'Day Mate .... I think the snake showed extremely good taste in where he decided to take up residence !!

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
                            sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386
                            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I will never look at someone the same way again when they say that they are an "adrenaline junkie"! LH

"I'm allergic to small block Chevys."

Comment

Working...
                              X