'63 Avanti Owners Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Avanti Owners Manual

I picked up an original manual on eBay. I'm really glad to have it, but Studebaker sure didn't include a lot of detail in these things. There's virtually no detail about the R1 or R2 motors. My '66 Commander manual is the same way. It's extremely thin and is more of an advertisement for STP and other Stude chemical products.

"Proud owner of a Lark powered Avanti"
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Manuals back in those days were pretty thin on information...from most any carmaker. If you look at today's manuals they're more warnings and liability disclaimers than information you need to know. Systems in today's cars are for more sophisticated and need a lot of explaining as well.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Agree, Yaers ago you could darn near overhaul a car with the information in the owners manual.

Richard

Comment

Ed, you may be equating "Owner's Manual" with "Shop Manual" The owner's manual tells you how to run your car. The Shop Manual tells you how to fix it.

The Shop Manual is what we are referring to when we mention the "manual."

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

No. I understand the owners manual is the thin volume that goes in the glove compartment and covers warranty and new car info. I worked in auto parts sales when I was young, so I know what a shop/repair manual is too. We used to sell Chilton.

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Ed, you may be equating "Owner's Manual" with "Shop Manual" The owner's manual tells you how to run your car. The Shop Manual tells you how to fix it.

Tom Bredehoft
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Was STP a studebaker product?
            I remember seeing those metal cans in my dads garage as a kid, seemed like everyone used it back then and to tell the truth I don't even know what it did???

Comment

http://www.stp.com/history.php
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I sold Chilton professional to dealers (labor guides) and repair manuals to auto repair shops/body shops. Way before the PC killed the book sales:-(

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

No. I understand the owners manual is the thin volume that goes in the glove compartment and covers warranty and new car info. I worked in auto parts sales when I was young, so I know what a shop/repair manual is too. We used to sell Chilton.

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Tom Bredehoft
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                X