Last Packard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Packard

Was just wondering what happened to the last Packard produced i.e. "real" Packard in 1956, does anyone know?

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

John: The last "real" Packard was a Patrician sedan. The car is documented and survives in good condition in the hands of a Packard Automobile Classics [The Packard Club] member. You might visit the club's website and secure more information: The car has been written up, with a famous photo of it coming off the Detroit assembly line surrounded by workers, in several issues of their monthly magazine, The Cormorant News Bulletin. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

John: The last "real" Packard was a Patrician sedan. The car is documented and survives in good condition in the hands of a Packard Automobile Classics [The Packard Club] member. You might visit the club's website and secure more information: The car has been written up, with a famous photo of it coming off the Detroit assembly line surrounded by workers, in several issues of their monthly magazine, The Cormorant News Bulletin. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi Bob
        Thanks for the information that the last Detroit Packard is extant. Where on the PAC webpage would I find it? I have seen the photo of the car coming off the line but no recent information on it.

RE: the last South Bend Packard:
        Out of curiousity, I ask Richard Quinn if he would seek out the production order sometime at the archive, he did so and published the information in TW, August 2002 issue.

One of 15 Packards assembled on July 25, 1958, it was serial no. 58L-8134, Body no. 905, Engine no. 2123, a solid Mountain Blue four door sedan, manual shift with overdrive, options: whitewalls, Climatizer, manual rear deck antenna and push button radio, delivery destination unknown.

The description suggest an ordered car for a specific customer. I hope that it is still out there quietly hiding in a rural, small-town garage in a part of the country where rust isn't such a problem.

Steve

Comment

Hi Bob
          Thanks for the information that the last Detroit Packard is extant. Where on the PAC webpage would I find it? I have seen the photo of the car coming off the line but no recent information on it.

RE: the last South Bend Packard:
          Out of curiousity, I ask Richard Quinn if he would seek out the production order sometime at the archive, he did so and published the information in TW, August 2002 issue.

One of 15 Packards assembled on July 25, 1958, it was serial no. 58L-8134, Body no. 905, Engine no. 2123, a solid Mountain Blue four door sedan, manual shift with overdrive, options: whitewalls, Climatizer, manual rear deck antenna and push button radio, delivery destination unknown.

The description suggest an ordered car for a specific customer. I hope that it is still out there quietly hiding in a rural, small-town garage in a part of the country where rust isn't such a problem.

Steve

Comment

Steve: I'm not sure where it would be on the PAC website, just look around! I don't know the extent to which they put older Coromorant News Bulletins on their site, but it's in the CNB somewhere. [8D] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Steve: I'm not sure where it would be on the PAC website, just look around! I don't know the extent to which they put older Coromorant News Bulletins on their site, but it's in the CNB somewhere. [8D] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I had this photo in my collection, I thought I would share it with you guys. This is the LAST Packard built at East Grand Boulevard Plant Detroit MI. The dont think there is a photo of the LAST 1956 Packard built at the Conner plant because no one knew that it was going to be the last one. Everyone thought that for the 1957 Model year everyone would come back to work. As you all know that didn't happen that way. THe Packard name moved to South Bend, IN.

Randy_G
                www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

I had this photo in my collection, I thought I would share it with you guys. This is the LAST Packard built at East Grand Boulevard Plant Detroit MI. The dont think there is a photo of the LAST 1956 Packard built at the Conner plant because no one knew that it was going to be the last one. Everyone thought that for the 1957 Model year everyone would come back to work. As you all know that didn't happen that way. THe Packard name moved to South Bend, IN.

Randy_G
                  www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

I think they probably did know when the last 56 Packard rolled off the Conner plant, but I don't think they would be smiling like that!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I think they probably did know when the last 56 Packard rolled off the Conner plant, but I don't think they would be smiling like that!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

OK Leonard I went back and read the chapter of my Packard book, "Packard - A history of the motor car and the company" According to the book the LAST day of production was June 25th 1956, twenty-four Clippers and eighteen Packards were through the body drop and completed. There is no mention which was last a Packard or a Clipper and even thou there are hundreds of photos in this book there is not a photo of the last 1956 Production Packard in the book. The last Detroit built Packard was a protype called "Black Bess" Just in case anyone wants to know where this car is today. It was detroyed on orders from Curtis-Wright. There is a photo of it but its really a ugly car.

Randy_G
                        South Bend or Bust 2007!
                        www.automotivehistoryonline.com

Comment

OK Leonard I went back and read the chapter of my Packard book, "Packard - A history of the motor car and the company" According to the book the LAST day of production was June 25th 1956, twenty-four Clippers and eighteen Packards were through the body drop and completed. There is no mention which was last a Packard or a Clipper and even thou there are hundreds of photos in this book there is not a photo of the last 1956 Production Packard in the book. The last Detroit built Packard was a protype called "Black Bess" Just in case anyone wants to know where this car is today. It was detroyed on orders from Curtis-Wright. There is a photo of it but its really a ugly car.

Randy_G
                          South Bend or Bust 2007!
                          www.automotivehistoryonline.com

Comment

I have read through that book also, but I think there is more information on the Packard Club web site. Here is what Bob Palma posted earlier:

A friend of mine is also in the Packard Club and I think I have seen the picture Bob is refering to. I might be mistaken, but I think by June of 56, everybody knew that was the end of Packard production in Detroit.

Comment

I have read through that book also, but I think there is more information on the Packard Club web site. Here is what Bob Palma posted earlier:

A friend of mine is also in the Packard Club and I think I have seen the picture Bob is refering to. I might be mistaken, but I think by June of 56, everybody knew that was the end of Packard production in Detroit.

Comment

Working...
                              X