Request for advice re Avanti #1001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for advice re Avanti #1001

Yesterday was the LeMay Museum's 32nd Annual Open House. After WW II, Harold LeMay started collecting junk. That effort eventually lead to one of Washington State's largest garbage collection companies serving Tacoma and many other cities. Harold loved to collect cars and when he died in 2001, owned over 3,400 cars. Very interesting story (http://www.lemaymuseum.org/page.php?id=65). In a few months, construction will start on a world class auto museum to be located on the south parking lot of the Tacoma Dome. In early 2000, a local Dentist donated to the Museum (for a huge tax write off), what he considered to be the very first and very last Avantis ever sold by The Studebaker Corp (Gary Johnson arranged the purchase of both cars for the Dentist and wrote about it in the AOAI mag). I was asked to give an assessment of them. Much has changed since then as a Board of Directors now controls the cars and things move agonizingly slow. Both Avantis have sat in a storage building since donated and have never been displayed. The initial drive was to completely restore #1001 and make it one of the signature cars for the new Museum. In talking with Doug LeMay yesterday, we were wondering what people's reactions would be if #1001 were displayed in its current condition. I'd like to solicit input from the members of this forum to help answer the question: would you display Avanti #1001 in it's present condition or would you favor a complete restoration before being displayed?
    Thanks for your input.
    Rich

Richard Morris
    Renton, WA
    64 Avanti R-1 #5367
    90 Avanti 4-door #78

Is there any history behind the paint? If so leave it the way it is. Sometimes it cool to see the roads cars have traveled.
    That metalflake paint seems to have held up pretty good through time.

Orlando FLA
    Orlando FLA

Comment

Richard, since that current mismatched paint design and color seems to have nothing to do with the car's history as the number ONE Avanti, other than being very ugly and a poor choice of color for a Red Interior car, or a Gold W/Fawn or Black Interior car, I say definitely make the Car the correct Avanti color as it was originally, and restore it as new. [^]

Is that a '64 front clip with square headlight buckets and a Group 24 rectangular Battery in there? That might be a problem if it had a collision repair and was updated.

If it was originally an R2 as the air cleaner would indicate, that needs completing.

This may be the Gold Avanti R2 4 speed that was flown around the Country in the flying box car for the Dealer Introductions, I was at the Los Angeles showing, pretty impressive! [^]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This car needs to be brought back to original condition. As the first Avanti, it should be displayed as originally built.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

I'd think that being the first one made, it deserves to be restored. [^] I'm with StudeRich on this one.

Gordon

Comment

If the facilities allow it then it could be even more interesting to the general public if the car was put on display as is, and then restored in public (somewhat like they are doing with the HL Hunley)

I bet most people have NO idea what all is involved with restoring a car.

Jeff DeWitt
            http://carolinastudes.net
            Jeff DeWitt
            http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

I really hope they restore it. (I'll donate a few bucks...)
              It's a hisoric car...and it's clearly [u]not</u> a question of un-doing originality if it were treated to a proper restoration.

I don't have much trust in a lot of the general public...I'd hate to think if some...even a minority...left the museum thinking that's the way Studebaker made them.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Restore.

***PLEASE***

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Suggest to them to donate it to the Studebaker Museum. They'd take better care of it..

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

Restore...

Get a TV show to do a series on the restoration...they do it for everything else, tanks, airplanes, Toyotas! Maybe Dave T or Jon Meyer would like a little advertizing with a camera crew following the progress?

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rich

what he considered to be the very first and very last Avantis ever sold by The Studebaker Corp (Gary Johnson arranged the purchase of both cars for the Dentist and wrote about it in the AOAI mag).
                      Everybody so worried about restoring this Avanti. I understand it is a piece of history for us Stude people, but it doesn't say first ever built period.
                      Yet nobody will give this a chance. There is more history in this prototype. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ght=studebaker
                      I understand it needs alot!!! but I also know someone here can/able to take on the job. This is real Studebaker history![?][?][?]

Orlando FLA
                      Orlando FLA

Comment

Point is there may be a bigger story behind the paint to be added on top of it's Studebaker history.

Orlando FLA
                        Orlando FLA

Comment

It needs to be restored. Whether I personally like the current state or not (and I don't), it needs to reflect kindly on the Studebaker legacy. It would be different if it were of the ilk of the Muppets car, but this is just plain ugly. If it's current state has some appeal to it, the leave the flat tire and rusty rims to give it the full effect.[xx(]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1963 Cruiser
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Can the history be traced back to verify anything of historic value to it's present condition? If not then an accurate restoration makes the most sense.

Comment

I think the story behind the paint was an acid flashback Raymond Loewy's Avanti with his personal touches would be something you would leave alone. From the looks of this it wasn't even a quality custom job with the door jams left the original white.

I have to think the purchase of this car for a collection was motivated by its serial number and the desire to preserve history and not the uniqueness of its metallic paint job.

That body you're referring to is certainly interesting but it may never have actually been a complete car. Looks like they might have been experimenting with glass roofs like the Ford's had. There were probably a lot of false start ideas that never got built and then tossed in the 'yard'.

How would you restore it anyway not knowing what the intent was to begin with? Without some documentation showing a complete car you would be creating your own and not reviving anything Studebaker did?

Let's say the Mona Lisa was stolen years ago and someone put a mustache and beard on her. And for years it traveled the world secretly changing hands among some of the most famous people in the world with each change of ownership creating another unique story to add to its past. Then it's discovered in a basement by someone who knows that it's the missing Mona Lisa. Years of intrigue surround the famous "Bearded Lady" as it was known among the select few who knw her secret.

Do you leave it with the mustache and beard or do you record its checkered past and restore it to its original beauty?

With a paint job that ugly there's a story that can be displayed along with the refinished car. And I can't imagine anyone who looks at the before compared with the after questioning why it wasn't left metallic green and yellow with orange seats.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by s1b

Point is there may be a bigger story behind the paint to be added on top of it's Studebaker history.

Orlando FLA

Comment

Working...
                              X