Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Gordon Williams 63 Lark Drag Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Gordon Williams 63 Lark Drag Car?

[img][/img]

Does anybody have any info on what ever happened to this 63 Lark Standard? I have this picture on my screen saver at work and I've probably seen it a hundred times, but today I actually looked at it. I've looked on the forum and found some info on Mr. Williams but nothing on what eventually happened to the car. It sounds like he was pushing Larks into the 11s back in the 60s. I also have the Collectible Automobile with the article by Bob Palma that shows the same car earlier. Does anybody know if he used the center headlights as air intakes? Can anybody help?

Nick

Dont have any info on Gordon Williams, or his car, but Ted Harbit would probablly be pushing 11s in the Red Tomato with headers and slicks and all the other tricks Stockers were allowed in the 60s.Plus we had a lot better gas back in the 60s.
    Does the Red Tomato have R3 cast iron headers on it?

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Start looking!! See if you can find this one while you re at it.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Terms=whistler

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Start looking!! See if you can find this one while you re at it.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Terms=whistler

Craig
        I am specifically looking for info on the where abouts of Gordon Williams' car. It would be nice to find any Lark that was used for drag racing, but I have my reasons for looking for this car in particular.

Nick

Comment

His son Ron Williams had it when I ran against him on April 10, 1976 at Irwindale Raceway for the First Annual Gordon Williams Special Interest Car Drags, put on by the Avanti Owners Association. Best to check with him.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

His son Ron Williams had it when I ran against him on April 10, 1976 at Irwindale Raceway for the First Annual Gordon Williams Special Interest Car Drags, put on by the Avanti Owners Association. Best to check with him.
            What would be the best way to contact him? Is he in the SDC?

Nick

Comment

Nick,
              That is a cool clip you posted. You can see the slicks wrinkling. Hope you get the info your looking for. I know what I would have been doing the 60's with my 63 Lark. If I was old enough!

Gordon

Comment

He was a friend of Jim Bergener who was President of the local AOIA at the time. Jim might know where he is at or you can Google him. He is about 60 in age now.

Comment

I went by the J&M speed shop a couple months ago with a copy of that picture for them. At the time the gal there didnt know about the car being she's only worked there for 5 years & the other guy only 10 years. Perhaps the next time I'm in that neighborhood I'll stop again & ask if the present owner has been the owner all these years. Who knows, a little investigating may show up some clues! Gordon was a technician at Warren Day Studebaker in
                  San Bernardino. Dont know how I got it but I have one of their license plate frames.

60 Lark convertible
                  61 Champ
                  62 Daytona convertible
                  63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2)
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I do not believe Gordon had headlight air inlets, I'd have to check some of my old pics (AND FIND them) from when we raced together at Lyons Drag Strip in Long Beach ("The Beach"). [^]

I can tell you this about the car, it had a factory H.D. Flight-O-Matic column shift, that he special ordered so he did not have to worry about missing a shift with the short throw "Powershift"! [:0]

Also, it was "Super" Red! A Super Lark only, color.

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

if he had air intakes on the inboard lights they are easy to make yourself.i use to run a ram air setup on my 65 ford galaxie using the lower lights just remove the headlight assy. and fabracate a round section of sheet metal bolt to back side of hole and install dryer hose and clamps run hose to carb.aircleaner using another ring of sheet metal and old small aircleaner filter and top use the hole or make a hole in the aircleaner side add another sheet metal loop and clamp hose the the loop and you have ram air for about $15-20 dollars. simple.

some times speed can be cheap. olds made a nice ram air setup from the factory.which could be adapted to any car.the scoops for the ram air bolted to the bottom of the front bumber.
                      2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

My 1963 R1 Lark was originally sold at Warren Day Studebaker and it has both front and back original license plate frames. I drag race it often. It would be nice to learn the history of this dealer, and Gordon.
                        Richard
                        The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Putting air intakes in place of the headlights would have been in violation of both the AHRA and NHRA rules For the Stock and Compact Stock classes.

R2Andy
                          R2Andrea

Comment

I don't know anything about this car or the seller, but here is a start on building a clone:

http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/1324795841.html

Its in Fergus Falls, MN. I don't recognize the rear plate on it but its not from MN for sure.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Well Jeff it is a '63 2 Dr. Sedan, but to make a Standard out of a Regal you have to do a bit of stripping mouldings and filling holes! [:0] Quite do-able though.

StudeRich
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X