engine turned sheets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine turned sheets?

Can a section of engine turned metal be bought anywhere? I have an idea for the dash of my truck when I get to that point.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

I am sure they are Matt, try '55-'57 T-Bird Repro Parts Co.'s or street Rod Dash Parts guys. [^] I think I remember someone having the REAL DEAL, actual machine turned, not simulated (stamped) like Stude. used! [:0]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Matt

If you can't find any, just Google engine turned metal. There is a very effective method of old that used a wooden dowel chucked in a drill press and grinding compound.

Bob

, ,

Comment

Google for it. It's out there and expensive. There is contact vinyl engine turned available also. I was just looking the other day. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

That vynil may work Jim. Got a link?

I'm reading up on it. I might just do it myself..

Comment

if you are looking for a neat dash to put in your truck how about 76 trans am just cut off the glove box area and mold the dash into the pickup dash. you would have full gauges and tach all in front of you.plus use the columb and you would have tilte wheel.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

'76 Pontiac dash doesn't really go well with a '60's theme.

I have the truck built in my mind, just as I want it. (Have for a while..) Just gotta wait for this weather to cool off and do it.

Gotta line on a set of fenders... Road trip this weekend.

Comment

Here you go Matthew. http://www.fpmmetals.com/

Pat Skelly
                62 GT Hawk
                53 Studillac
                37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

That vynil may work Jim. Got a link?

I'm reading up on it. I might just do it myself..
                  www.mnpctech.com/Engine_Turned_Vinyl_Film Relatively inexpensive. jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hey Matt, there are quite a few sites on the net that sell the real stuff and also sites that sell the vinyl simulated stuff in different colors and lengths and widths. Also different size pattern swirls. If you go with the vinyl and are afraid of bubbles and wrinkles,just wet the surface to be covered with a misting of windex allowing the vinyl to sort of act like a decal. Then press from the middle to the ends to dissipate the windex. jimmijim

Comment

This reminds me of when I used to watch my father hand make engine turned instrument panels in the 1940s-1950s.
                      He would do it with a wood dowel chucked in a small drill press. It also required a good eye and a steady hand.
                      My father did them freehand, but I guess that you could lay out the locations on a piece of aluminum.
                      Matt - I think that with some practice, and your young eyes and steady hands, you could make your own. I think that it would be a nice accomplishment to be able to say that you made the panel the way that they used to (before you were born).

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've finished pieces with this effect in times past. I even made a brand new instrument panel ovelay for my late uncle's 1946 Globe Swift (a 2-place private plane that was produced after WWII)

After experimenting with different media (this was WAY long before some fancy sorta inter-net thingy!), I ended up welding metal pipe caps onto a 1/4" shaft. Then I would take a strip of Scotch-Brite and roll it up tight. Then I would screw that roll into the treaded pipe cap. The "roll" had to be big enough that it was really tightly situated when "screwed" into the metal cap.[}] The strip that made up that roll also had to be cut wide enough so that it stuck out at least a 1/4" when screwed into the metal cap.

Then I could use this burnishing device in a hand drill or a drill press. With the drill turning in the correct direction, the threads in the cap insured that the Scotch-Brite stayed tight. Such a device will last a long time. Longer than the impegnated rubber tools and lots less messier than the paste and peg approach.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I asked my 22 year old son, if he knew was engine turned metal was. He said sure and as a matter of fact the new "Make" magazine has an article about it. I haven't seen it yet but Jake says it uses the dowel/compound technique and gives tips on spacing. Great magazine, by the way. Huck

Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

My wife has told me that Stude engines have turned a lot of our sheets into rags[B)][:0][:X]...
                            Does that count?
                            Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Cool reading at:
                              http://tinyurl.com/kk3lzb
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X