Brakes - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes - HELP

I'm re-doing the rear brakes on my 65 Commander and I ordered new parts from Studebaker Intl. They are the wrong parts. The catalog lists them (part #535586) as 54-66 V8 car rear. Upon examining the box, it says Except disc equipped. My car is disc equipped. The part number on the cylinder I need is FD8374 - it is a Wagner Lockheed part. Where do I get those parts. I don't think the shoes are correct either.

Am I reading the catalog wrong?

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

535586 is a rear wheel cylinder for a 54 and up non disc brake Stude.

If yours is disc brake, you need the 1557668 cylinder. It is on page 235 of SI's catalog.

The shoes you need are 1557672. They are on page 237 of SI's catalog.

If you are unsure of what you are ordering, call SI (or any of the vendors) and let them know what car you have. They will steer you to the correct parts.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Those should be available from SI also, but they will be listed for
      a '63-'66 Lark/Hawk and '63-'74 Avanti. Disk brakes started in the
      1963 model year, and they had special rear brakes to match the disc
      in the front. That will be your guide to get the right parts.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Herein lies the advantage of acquiring the chassis and body catalog of your vehicle. You are able to identify the correct part by part number for your specific vehicle. General descriptions can lead to errors.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

if you're in a pinch without a parts book, the list on my web site also lists the Stude part numbers with descriptions, where I have them available. That's actually how that whole thing got started, actually - trying to cross-reference spark plugs and air filters without having all the books handy. Then it kinda spiraled wildly out of control.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

535586 is a rear wheel cylinder for a 54 and up non disc brake Stude.

If yours is disc brake, you need the 1557668 cylinder. It is on page 235 of SI's catalog.

The shoes you need are 1557672. They are on page 237 of SI's catalog.

If you are unsure of what you are ordering, call SI (or any of the vendors) and let them know what car you have. They will steer you to the correct parts.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Thanks Dick, That's exactly what I needed. I see it now but missed it when I originally ordered. DANG! Oh well, I'm learning.

See you at Pleasanton. Pat Dilling and I will be looking you up. I've got your number.

Jon Stalnaker
            Editor, Hawk Talks
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Jon, Studebaker West has every thing you need..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
              canbstudebakers-

]
              Candbstudebakers