PlainBrownR2's Supercharger and Turbocharger setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlainBrownR2's Supercharger and Turbocharger setup

Alrighty, for those needing to know, here's the setups on the Lark and the truck('55 Commander due sometime someday soon [)])

Here's the setup for the Lark. The supercharger, 289 under it, is pretty much all stock for an R2. This setup is a JTS engine that came from a '63 Hawk that rolled many many years ago(which might make returning to stock a slim to buttkis chance, lol). What's different on the car is their is a Holley 3 port regulator on the firewall, which has an extra port drilled into the top of the diaphgram for the boost reference circuit. This regulator is a fairly simple unit in that it's two housings screwed together with a rubber diaphragm in the middle. I had to be careful about drilling the upper part because if you go through the rubber, you may as well go get another regulator or a rubber diaphragm. Anyway the regulator contains three(if I'm not mistaken) gauges inline. One measures the output of the electric fuel pump(which I'll get to in a minute), one measures the return pressure, and the third is connected to the AFB and is set to factory pressure. Adjustment is simple, just turn the screw on top of the regulator in and out until factory pressure is achieved on the output to the carb.

The regulator is supplied by a Holley 30 psi fuel pump. It may seem excessive, but from the pump to the regulator it is steel line and high pressure FI hose. It has also assured me that I would receive adequate fuel delivery when the supecharger kicks on. For those doubting the high output pump, it has served me well since '03 or '04 when the Holley Pro-jection unit was removed and replaced with the nearly stock system. I would recommend the high pressure FI hose or else someone will be carrying extra supplies of hose as the line dries, splits, and breaks open over time.

Since the fuel line is an electric pump setup, there is a supply line, a return line, and a line to the carb, with a line going to the top of the regulator for the boost reference from the Paxton. The fuel pump is also controlled by a relay and can be shut off at a moments notice with an electric switch inside the car. I have also decided to install a Hawk combo gauge on the steering column, mainly since Larks didn't receive one. It's basically a motor minder most of the time.

Driveability is nice. It gets down the road without a ping, knock, or much of that. I have adjusted the 4 bbl to kick on the secondaries when the gas is mashed, so it really wakes up when the foot goes down. It does have a 3.31 open rear end and powered drums, so it takes a little longer to get moving, and requires a little more time stopping.[)] I usually tune, tweak, and adjust distributor, carb, and whatever else so the engine runs as efficiently as possible. I also have a Pertronix kit under the distributor, which takes out the necessity of gapping points every so often, and provides a more stable idle.

Gas? The heads have been milled, as it was explained to me years ago(engine was also rebuilt), so it uses 87 octane without nary a hiccup. When it gets cold(yeah it's out unless the snow is toooo deep), you really notice the supercharger because of how cold air and warm air behave with the density of the two.

Now on to the truck....
    This started as an academic experiment(or let's see if this thing will work on that thing). I looked over Greg Meyer's website prior to trying this on the pickup. I did not read Dick Datson's book(sorry [8)]), however my instruction and inspiration came from Yahoo's Import Car chatroom I was hanging out in at the time. These guys were doing the same thing, as well as changing turbos, compressor wheels, modifying opening and closing BOV's and wastegates. I mean since many of these vehicles had these turbos, they knew how to work em over. I also read up on the basics of the turbo system from more than a few websites. I used a te04h turbo, which is sized a little smaller than the engine, so it has quicker s
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

This kind of tinkering always gets my attention. I like it!

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Way cool!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
      Dylan Wills