62 Cruiser tach (and dash)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Cruiser tach (and dash)

Had a minute today, so I went out with some Windex and wiped off the dash of the Cruiser parts car I brought home on the way back from CeRap. I didn't scrub it thoroughly, but it shined up pretty well[8D]

It came with an aftermarket SW tach. I wanted to take a couple pictures because it's so cool!

It has this control unit under the hood:

And the tag on it:

Anyone know anything about it?

BTW- behind the wheel on the dash is a cool old liquid-filled compass with a wire going to it. Light, maybe?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

That was "state-of-the-art" in the 50's & 60's Bob. You'd be hard pressed get anything better back then. I'd bet that wire from the compass is for a light. Pretend it's a Studebaker and take it apart. Probably a blown bulb, a loose wire, or a bad ground.
    Nice car by the way.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Tachs in the dash are okay, but one like that mounted on the column says hot rod to me. Those big ones with shift lights are probably better in lots of ways, but that one is period perfect. The only thing strange is it being in a Cruiser.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

That's a pretty neat score for a parts car. Were the accessory ammeter and oil pressure gauges only available in 1961? I learned from the last thread that the white faced gauges are 1961 Deluxe, and black for 1961 Regal. Were these available in 1962? If memory serves correctly, 1962's has silver faced instruments. And yes, the wire on the compass is for a light. The compass (and tachometer) should be wired into the instrument panel lights so that they illuminate and dim with the dash lights. LH

Comment

Same tach (and sending unit) I have in the ute...

NOS (neat old stuff)

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Hunter

That's a pretty neat score for a parts car. Were the accessory ammeter and oil pressure gauges only available in 1961? I learned from the last thread that the white faced gauges are 1961 Deluxe, and black for 1961 Regal. Were these available in 1962? If memory serves correctly, 1962's has silver faced instruments. LH
            I have a '62 Deluxe with white faced gauges and a '62 Cruiser with black faces. The only difference I can see in the pics between Bobs white gauges and mine are the oil indicator shapes. My '62 has a round opening and Bobs have a rectangle opening. So, that may be another clue that the gauge panel is from a '61 with the accessory gauges. I don't know if that was offered in '62 or not, but I'm sure someone has an accessory list that will show if they were.

Skinny
            Watertown, SD
            Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

the accessory gauges were available in '62 in both white and black flavors. I don't know the "circle vs. rectangle" thing - my '62 had round FWIW. The accessory gauges became redundant in '63 when the combo gauge got a built in ammeter and oil pressure gauge instead of the 61-62 idiot lights.

I have serious lust for that whole dash assembly. If I still had my '62 I'd probably be waving big fistfuls of cash at Bob right now. I think I like the PO of that car.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

The only difference I can see in the pics between Bobs white gauges and mine are the oil indicator shapes. My '62 has a round opening and Bobs have a rectangle opening. So, that may be another clue that the gauge panel is from a '61 with the accessory gauges.
                What "rectangle openings" are you referring to? Mine are round, aren't they? In fact I can't remember ever seeing any rectangle openings on any Lark. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the term. Do you mean where the needles show?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Same tach (and sending unit) I have in the ute...

NOS (neat old stuff)
                  Cool! So that means this car's worth what the Ute is![)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

bob, he's talking about the oil pressure and generator idiot lights. Some were rectangular and some were round.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

The only difference I can see in the pics between Bobs white gauges and mine are the oil indicator shapes. My '62 has a round opening and Bobs have a rectangle opening. So, that may be another clue that the gauge panel is from a '61 with the accessory gauges.
                      What "rectangle openings" are you referring to? Mine are round, aren't they? In fact I can't remember ever seeing any rectangle openings on any Lark. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the term.

Parish, central NY 13131

Referring to the shape of the oil and generator warning lights in the fuel/temperature gauge. LH

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Hunter

That's a pretty neat score for a parts car. The compass (and tachometer) should be wired into the instrument panel lights so that they illuminate and dim with the dash lights.
                        This car was on eBay twice, and Craigslist a few times. The car sold on eBay but the buyer flaked- a minister that said he couldn't afford it after all[:0] I knew I'd have an empty tow dolly coming home from CeRap, so I made a deal on it. The seller, this huge, tough biker-type was a great guy, and scmoozed the town to let him keep it for the month and a half till I came through there. I mostly bought it for the TT rear and the rear A/C. The rest is payment for hauling it 700 miles home. I got to meet some fun guys (even if they were slightly scary at first!), and scored some good parts. Good deal all around!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Thanks, N8 and LH. I've got it now!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

BTW if you have a car that you can test that tach in, if it works, I wouldn't take less than $200 for it if it is as nice as it looks in the pics. seriously.

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Didn't mean to confuse you Bob. Sometimes you think it makes perfect sense when it gets typed in, but more times than not, it loses clarity as it passes through the internet![:0]

Now that we have the "round vs. rectangle" thing worked out, just what is the difference? Did they actually change the gauges from '61 to '62, have a mid year change, or did they just grab out of a bin until new stock replaced the original style? Not a burning question, I'm just curious.[?]

Skinny
                              Watertown, SD
                              Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Working...
                              X