Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My '63 Lark backlite trim dilemma.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '63 Lark backlite trim dilemma.......

I can't get the upper trim piece to stay seated on the right hand end. Someone once suggest that I have a glass shop shoot some hot glop,that they use, into the back window gasket. what is your opinion? The car was like this, when I got it in 1998. As there was some leaking, I bought a new gasket from SASCO and had it installed locally. The trim piece would still pop up so I suspected that the trim was warped. I bought a used piece from Tom Karcowicz(sp) and had Dale McPherson polish the rock marks out of it. This beautiful piece pops out too! Help!! Signed, Tired of pushing my trim back in, everytime I park.

Gary Hildebrandt

The trim should have a nice 90 deg bend whrere it goes in the seal
    thats what holds it in tight when the glass is in. The new seal might not be sloted all of the way, the only way to know is to have the trim out and that means the glass and seal has to come out to look at it right also make sure your trim is centered properly.
    Take a look and post what you find

Jon

Comment

I should have told you the reason why the slot might not be long enough is because of how the seal was made, 8 pieces and vulcanized
      together. You might have to finish the grove on both sides to get it right.
      Be careful dont want to ruin your new seal.
      had to do this on mine

Jon

Comment

Hey Jon. Good to see you on here. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Hey Matthew,
          Ive been around for a while, just never posted before a couple of days ago. Trying to find the parts for my car. Thought I would give this person the imformation that I ran into on my car, I hope it works for them.

Jon

Comment

Thank you Jon, I'm not going to attempt this but the advice is going help someone, I am sure. My seal is not that fresh anymore, as I think it is about ten years old now. So how does one cut that slot anyway. Thanks again, Huck

Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

Hi Gary
              I used an exacto knife with a small blade, I cut the trim lock groove in the seal to the corners just far enough for the stainless to set in the seal properly. This was all done on the bench with the glass in the seal, while working on the stainless fit. When you try to fix yours you will see what I had to do on my new seal
              good luck

Jon

Comment

We just call Jon, NOS Jon right Jon?>>Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Are you trying to stick me with somthing Bob?
                  I just cant help the nos thing.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X