Oil with zinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil with zinc

I'm sure this has been discussed but couldnt find a thread.

With occasional driving to crusie nights and shows, would it be desireable to use a motor oil with zinc (High Performance type). Just changed it again and wihtout thinking and put in 5-30.

What about lead additive for un-leaded gas. Some have suggested Marvel Mystery Oil but not sure in what quantity

Do a search on "oil recommendations" and you will find all you need with opinions and supposed facts to go with it. The same for lead additives, some think they are necessary, most do not.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

C'mon Mike... Try to search...
      Seven threads with ZDDP in the header....
      Over 20 ZDDP based threads with oil in the header..
      Six threads with zinc....

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

I'm sure this has been discussed but couldnt find a thread.
      <snip>
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Wouldn't adding STP at the oil change take care of this issue? Russ Farris
        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Posted - 07/10/2009 : 2:11:09 PM
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e-mail from stp

Thank you for contacting us about your STP Oil Treatment. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

STP Oil Treatment has always contained ZDDP. However, the amount it contains is proprietary. What I can tell is that when you add one bottle with four to five quarts of oil, it will provide you the same protection the older motor oils once provided.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

Comment

I guess if I knew about ZDDP I probably would not have had to ask the question. So how would I have known about seven threads

I guess i have offended you experts on how to search.

thanks to you who were kind enough to offer some advice as quickly as those who were so eager to "disply thier knowlege"

Comment

The ingredients in STP or any other consumer product are no secret. Manufacturers are required to make available an MSDS, Material Safety Data Sheet, for every chemical product. Here's the link to STP products -

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/

Comment

I guess if I knew about ZDDP I probably would not have had to ask the question. So how would I have known about seven threads

thanks to you who were kind enough to offer some advice as quickly as those who were so eager to "disply thier knowlege"
                Don't let them get to you, it takes a while to get good at this forum stuff. On oil I plan on using Valvoline VR-1 Racing oil has same ZDDP content as older oils. Here's a web link to their product information:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
                sigpic
                John
                63R-2386
                Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Mike, more important to the long life of a Studebaker Engine than the ZDDP content, is the weight of the Oil! Dump that water you put in there for some real Oil!

Never use less than 10W-30, straight 30 Wt and 20W-50 are also good, the Castrol website tells us that the only weight that has the proper additives for older engines is their 20W-50. Your Engine condition and climate also are a factor of choosing the weight, but you can never go wrong North/South, Winter/Summer with the 10W-30 if you add the ZDDPlus additive from Studebaker Vendors or other good products like Red line Synthetic Break-in Oil Additive, 1/2 bottle to each oil change indefinitely if not using 20W-50.

Every time this issue comes up we get every kind of answer from one extreme to the other, Diesel Oil to off the shelf Automotive Oil with insufficient ZDDP content!

So you'll have to decide who's right, and that's OK with me because I know what I will use, so whatever you do just be sure to use a heavier Oil, OK?
                  A '53 Stude. has a American made engine, not Korean, Japanese, German or Chinese and not a 2009, and you don't live at the North Pole! [:0]

StudeRich
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

The ingredients in STP or any other consumer product are no secret. Manufacturers are required to make available an MSDS, Material Safety Data Sheet, for every chemical product. Here's the link to STP products -

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/

Cool. I thought we might be onto something with that link, but here's the specifics on STP Oil Treatment from that site:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/prod...ltreatment.pdf

It just says the product contains zinc at a concentration of 1%-5%, and that the exact amount is proprietary. That's what STP has been saying all along, hardly a PPM figure of ZDDP that can be used for comparison and evaluation.

Phooey. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You didn't offend anyone.
                      The information you seek is already here.
                      One good thing about this forum is that there will always be someone (or ten) that will answer your questions.
                      My point was that you will find way, way more info than you need by doing a fast search....
                      Especially on hot topics like oil/zinc/zddp.......
                      Doing a quick search on just your posts shows you are an inquisitive, and enthusiastic Stude guy.
                      Don't change that....
                      But use all of the tools available here....
                      The info is already there...
                      HTIH
                      Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm using Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 in older flat tappet engines as it still has the necessary anti wear additives added to the oil. I looked at Chevron's website a few days ago and according to the Delo spec sheet, the oil has more anti wear additives than any of the regular automotive oils as diesel engines require more anti wear addtives than gas engines. I don't like to add anything to engine oil as you run the risk of compromising the additive package that the refiner has already added to the oil. I'm sure that other refiners such as Mobil and Shell have the same additives in their oils. Bud

Comment

If you are comfortable with full synthetic, Castrol 's marketing team is lying in wait.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...Id=7032644#top

Comment

brad penn;green colored oil with zddp in it.no need to add
                            anything else.made in bradford pa. less than $5.00 per qt.
                            this is the real deal! JNP

Comment

Sgt. DEEPNHOCK of the Thread Police is becoming tiresome.
                              quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

You didn't offend anyone.
                              The information you seek is already here.
                              One good thing about this forum is that there will always be someone (or ten) that will answer your questions.
                              My point was that you will find way, way more info than you need by doing a fast search....
                              Especially on hot topics like oil/zinc/zddp.......
                              Doing a quick search on just your posts shows you are an inquisitive, and enthusiastic Stude guy.
                              Don't change that....
                              But use all of the tools available here....
                              The info is already there...
                              HTIH
                              Jeff[8D]

Comment

Working...
                              X