Winter Storage - Car Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Storage - Car Bags

I thought I would share with everyone how we have finally been able to keep the critters out of my cars. They are stored in a pole barn and we live in a rural area in Ohio, which means mice and chipmunks like to nest in the cars in winter. We tried Irish Spring soap in the cars - they ate it, I have the bar with chew marks all over it, then we tried dryer sheets and they used them in their nests. I know they were just laughing at us the whole time. After two springs of cleaning mouse excrement, mouse carcasses and assorted other stuff out of the cars, my husband bought giant zippered bags for the cars. The brand is Car Jacket, and we purchased them in 2007 from autoanything.com. I think it was about $500 for both bags, they are for indoor use only and the current prices are $199.95 - $289.95 per bag depending on size. They came with bags of Desicant (spelling?) to absorb any moisture in them. You should put a car cover on the car and then zip them up in the car bags. I am trying to add photos, but this is my first time, so bear with me if I do something wrong. We have not had any critter problems the last two winters, which has been wonderful.

Okay - I previewed it and it looks like I did it right. The natives are getting restless (my 5 and 6 year olds) - time to go get lunch. I will try and check back later and answer any questions anyone has about the bags.

Michelle (Myer) Chernisky
    Heart of Ohio Chapter, SDC
    60 Lark Convertible
    64 Avanti
    sigpic
    60 Lark Convertible & 64 Avanti

Way Kool! You could probably vacuum seal it, too... but you wouldn't want to suck all the oil out of the filter cannister and deposit it all over the car and baggie, too...
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Looks interesting, Michelle - and they are much cheaper than those inflatable car bubbles a few friends are using.
      Let's hope the critters don't develop a taste for your Car Jackets!

Chris Pile
      Editor: The Studebaker Special
      http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The PO of my Avanti used them with good results. He stored the car over the winter in a barn/shed and had no trouble with rodents.
        Helped protect against rust too.
        I haven't used the one he supplied with the car, I have a heated garage with (knock wood) no rodents.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My husband used the shop vac to suck out most of the air, since the Avanti has already dumped out most all the power steering fluid and last summer the gas out of her tank, didn't have to worry about many other fluids. Unfortunately, she hasn't been driven since I was pregnant with my daughter who is now 6.

I hope the critters don't develop a taste for car jackets. For some reason, which I don't fully understand, they left my husband's race car (a 1984 Chev Monte Carlo that is strictly for the drag strip) alone. I don't know if it was the smell of racing fuel, that it was up on jack stands, or bad taste on the part of the critters, as my husband contends, haha!

As Chris stated, the price isn't bad - and definitely better than cleaning up dead mice and their trash.

60 Lark Convertible
          64 Avanti
          sigpic

Comment

Great info, thanks! It's a big problem in all my buildings, too. I threw away several bars of Irish Spring soap this Spring that were nearly half chewed away; same results as you with the dryer sheets. Some insist mothballs work every time, but I hate that smell, so have never used them.

Chris raised my concern: What keeps the critters from chewing on the bags? I woder, is there something specific, or have you just been lucky so far?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

We also resisted the moth ball idea because of the smell, although the smell of dead critter was far worse!! The bags are pretty heavy duty, my husband was a bit concerned they might chew through them, but so far we haven't had any problems and I know there are critters in the pole barn because we found a couple dead ones this spring. It seems no matter how much we seal and fill holes with that foam stuff, they still find a way to get in. We have a small drainage creek that runs behind the pole barn with a few scraggly oak trees growing alongside it, we cut down 2 of the trees hoping the reduced amount of acorns would help, but I don't think it's made much difference.

60 Lark Convertible
              64 Avanti
              sigpic

Comment

Hi Michelle, this is Rich. G formerly from OEC Chapter, long time no see! Good to see you on here, and learning FAST! [^]

Two of my three son's are on here also Dave: StudeDave57, and Mike: hotwheels63r2.

I always heard that a plastic bag would be like those that use a blue tarp, they just sweat up and rust from the inside of the fenders out, but usually that is because they are stored in damp or dirt garages or outside.

But this sounds better, one main reason for your success I think is the nice new building, dry concrete, vinyl bottom (floor cover) and the dehumidifier crystals. In some more humid climates it may take a dehumidifier machine to keep it dry, I don't know. [:0]

I am glad this is working for you, lets hope it works everywhere, in Washing-rain I am not so sure! Sounds like you have a great family, take care!

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the tip! Autoanything.com shows two different bags. Links below:

[u]Rhino Shelter</u>-
                  http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/65A3648A0A0.aspx

[u]Car Jacket</u>-
                  http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/69A1798A0A0.aspx

This comment for the Rhino made me cringe:

"I'LL FIND OUT NEXT LATE MARCH, HOW WELL MY 1935 FORD PICK UP HELD UP INSIDE THE SEALED COVER. IT'S SITTING OUTSIDE, IN THE CRUEL WISCONSIN WEATHER ELEMENTS."

Brought back flashbacks of Miss Belvedere

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Henry Votel,
                    Forest Lake, MN
                    Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Heck with the cars.. I love your barn.
                      Jeff[8D]
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Winter storage? What's that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

What size did you get for the '60 convertible, Michelle? Could it be smaller..wider, after you got yours? There are so many sizes from which to choose, it's tough to decide what's closest.

Comment

Yeah?
                            Show them your Palmetto bugs, snakes, and spiders[:0][xx(]
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Winter storage? What's that?Tom - Mulberry, FL
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Yeah?
                              Show them your Palmetto bugs, snakes, and spiders[:0][xx(]
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Winter storage? What's that?Tom - Mulberry, FL
                              You forgot the fire ants...[B)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X