No announcement yet.

Did you Learn to Drive in a Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you Learn to Drive in a Studebaker?

Dave "barnlark" Arnold's fun thread about his daughter's first driving adventure in his 1960 convertible likely triggered memories for many who actually learned to drive in a Studebaker.

Sadly, this survey might be skewed toward older members, but we'll hopefully have younger ones chime in.

So, did you learn to drive in a Studebaker? What was it? Who took you out? ...err, well, perhaps I should rephrase that as Who was in the passenger seat?

In 1959, my Dad had been entrusted with the care and feeding of his younger brother Jerry's "new" 1957 289/210/overdrive Silver Hawk, green with white fins, while Jerry was in the Army. We ventured forth to a low-traffic area on an edge-of-town road in Paris IL for the appropriate unlicensed maneuvers.

Anyone else? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I did, but I cheated.
    I sat in it ('61 Hawk plate# 0911) and played for 10 years before I could drive it on the road....
    (That explains why all the switches were worn out on it[])
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

1965, in the 50 Champion I still have. My dad took me to the school parking lot and around and around we went. Going, stopping, turning, parking, checking marks to see if I knew where the edge of the car was. After a couple of days of that, he let me drive through an alley behind the cafeteria. Whew! What a thrill, narrow alley and turning at the same time.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

In 1962 when I was ten years old my Dad had me get behind the wheel of a 1955 President 4 door and had me "drive" down the street to my school and back home again. That was the first time behind the wheel operating a running car!

George
        Grants Pass, Oregon
        64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car.

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe
        George King
        Grants Pass, Oregon
        64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

I bought my son, Michael (Stude Mick) a '61 Lark Cruiser for his 16th birthday that we restored together then I taught him to drive in it. When he got his licence at 18, he used the car as his every day car for about 3 years untill he weakened and bought a Holden Commadore with A/C and power steering. I think that he has a soft spot for the Lark and it will be with us for a long time.

Dave Pink
          Victoria, Australia

1913 SA25 Town Car
          1916 SF Roadster
          1925 ER Tourer
          1925 Panel Delivery
          1953 Champion Sedan
          1957 Golden Hawk

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
          http://www.studebakercarclub.net
          Dave Pink
          Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
          1925 ER Tourer
          1925 Panel Delivery
          1953 Champion Sedan
          1957 Golden Hawk
          1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
          http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Unfortunately, I didn't learn to drive in a Studebaker. My neighbor taught me to drive in his new, '50 Hudson Pacemaker. Boy, that was a smooth car. I was 16 at the time. When I turned 17, my dad taught me to drive his '50 Nash Ambassador.
            However, my first car was a '40 Studebaker business coupe.
            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

After mastering the tractor's (2N F**d and WD Allis); I was allowed to drive the 1952 Studebaker pickup in the field. Then on to Dad's 1947 EH Mack and finally our 1951 Black Cherry Commander. I don't remember the exact age that I got to drive them on the highway however it was before I got my driver's license at 16. The key's were always left in the vehicles and we took many opportunities to hone our driving skill's on and off the road. Most kid's today don't have the same opportunities that we did year's ago.

pwbrown

Comment

I lived in Michigan at the time I turned 14. At that time, they allowed one to get a learner's permit at the age of 14. I learned to drive an automatic transmission car in a brand X, but a year later, Uncle Jerry (see Bob's reference above) gave me lessons on driving a stick shift. The lessons were in his one-year-old '57 Silver Hawk 289/OD. The 3.92 axle ratio helped, but my first attempt still resulted in too much rpm and not enough motion from the car. As the engine roared, I still remember asking Jerry "Are we off the ground yet?"

George

george krem
                george krem

Comment

Back in the mid 70's my Dad and I delivered the Minneapolis Sunday newspaper. It was a rural route that we started at about 1 AM and finished around 7AM. I was lucky enough to learn to drive in a series of 4 door Larks. Some 6's,some V-8's all manual trannies most OD. We averaged around 150 tubes and in several neighboring towns we dropped bundles for the paperboys to make their home deliveries. We also had a few gas stations and a resort where we had vending type machines. My dad was quite possibly the most patient man in the world as I continuously killed the engine while pulling away from mailboxes. At least I never hit one! That might have pushed him over the edge! I have always felt fortunate that I got to spend those 14, 15, 16, & 17 year old driving adventures with my dad who died a few months after I turned 19. My 4 younger brothers surely got cheated in that regard.
                  The whole experience definitely cemented my Studebaker addiction!

Pat Casey
                  55 Commander
                  58 Transtar
                  62 GT Hawk
                  66 Cruiser
                  SDC Member since 1988

Comment

My first driving lessons were in the '58 Ranch Wagon I bought at age 14 from my aunt for $10.
                    However - my Dad learned to drive in Studebaker farm trucks by 10 or so.
                    Granddad baled all the hay in the area, and needed help moving trucks, so Dad was drafted.
                    He drove all over the area, but didn't get licensed until he joined the Navy at 20!

Chris Pile
                    Editor: The Studebaker Special
                    http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Can you picture these two driving that Silver Hawk? Boy, I can. Same big grins! What fond memories they are still living for us all. Thanks, you two. [^]

[img][/img]

We had Studebakers in the Arnold family, but those were in Voorheesville, NY. At 15, I was in Altadena, CA and back country roads were nowhere to be seen. My dad's business partner's aging mother had a '61 Tempest, and that was the car my stepsister Betsy and I snuck out and drove all over the side streets north of Mendocino Ave. I had a motorcycle license at 15, but a real car was very different. Took my test in a '68 Volkswagon bus. Wish it had been a Lark. My first date entailed me teaching my girlfriend to drive and she hit a palm tree pulling into her parents driveway. I didn't fess up to my dad to that until last year.
                      I was looking for the Studebaker keys below..[8D]

[img][/img]

Comment

In 1955 got my license with the 53 Buick, in 58 got my first car a $25.00 1948 Land cruiser had more fun in the land cruise then I ever did in the Buick..

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

My mother taught me to drive in a '62 Wagon. The car had belonged to my Grandmother and she had left it to my mother when she died six months after buying it. This nearly new car sat in our barn, on blocks, for several years till I needed it. I had to go to school in Red Bluff CA, a trip of thirty-five miles from the Ranch House door. When we moved back to Southern California the next year, the car went back up on blocks in the barn. There it sat till 1974 when Mum sold the Ranch. The barn is gone now and so's the car. I often wonder what happened to it.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

MY first experence with a Studebaker was with my brothers 1947 Land Cruiser, i guess i never actually drove it but i did move it back and forth across the front yard with the car in different gears with the starter switch on the floor. I had to be about 12-14 and i remember playing in that maroon Cruiser all the time, untill running the battery down. I guess my older brother and my dad always wondered why it had a dead battery. They sold it and bought him a 50 Plymouth 2 dr Black with fender skirts. In the back yard we had a 31 Cheverolet 2 dr sedan that my dad bought for my brother and i guess he blew the Babbits out of the rods. it sat in the back yard for several years and i remember playing in that car but it wouldnt move, i always wanted that car but my dad sold it one day for $40. I was sure mad it him for taking my Car.
                            So when i turned 16 i was looking for a car and found a real straight 37 Chevrolet coupe for $15, But my dad wouldn't buy it for me. I walked around town to car lots looking for a car i wanted. I had in my mind i wanted a 48-53 Hudson (Saw a customized one in Calif and fell in love with it). My dad said they had cork clutches and he didn't want one. My neighbor had a 49 Ford Convertible i thought was cool( Primered and lowered). I couldnt have a Ford either cause my dad thought they were to fast. I ended up with a white 51 Pontiac 2 dr straight eight as my first car.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

The first time I drove a Studebaker on the road (I used to drive our 58 Hawk in the back yard) was a friend's 51 Commander. He was 16, and I was 14 years old.

In Virginia, you could get a learners permit at 15. My Mother took me to get my permit, with our 58 Hawk, when I was on my birthday at 15. I passed the test, but I failed the eye exam. I was so upset, but then I got glasses, and passed the exam.

Leonard Shepherd
                              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X