Why did that irritate me so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did that irritate me so

I just went to the hardware store to see if they could make a key for the trunk of my Studebaker. The guy went on to tell me how they don't make Studebakers anymore as they went out of business after merging with Rambler and becoming American Motors.

I tried to politely correct him but he got a little snippy with me because, as he said, he used to own a Studebaker. I told him I currently own 3 Studebakers and he had his car history a little mixed up. I also told him I knew what I was talking about as I teach Studebaker history at the California Automobile Museum.

He still wanted to argue and I didn't so I walked out. He also told me you can't get Studebaker parts anymore. I know it shouldn't bother me but it did. I would never argue with him about hammers.

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

It's never easy to suffer fools gladly, but next time, just try to nod politely and smile. As they say, never try to teach a pig to sing -- it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Like the expression says, you can't fix stupid!

Chip
      '63 Cruiser daily driver
      '57 Packard wagon on the road!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Thanks Skip - I did just smile and nod politely but it just got under my skin. I like the saying about teaching a pig to sing. I'll try to remember that one next time (and there will be a next time). It will help me to smile as I nod politely.

Jon Stalnaker
        Editor, Hawk Talks
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

It's never easy to suffer fools gladly, but next time, just try to nod politely and smile. As they say, never try to teach a pig to sing -- it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Skip Lackie
          Washington DC
          Yes, and also never wrestle with a pig, you just end up dirty and you eventually find out that the pig likes it!

Pat

Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Just another good reason to try and keep a turning
            Wheels in your car. As part of my friendly banter with my X brand buddies...I tease them about how difficult it is becoming to find parts for the "common" brands and point out the unmatched quality of the Studebaker family with its network of publications, parts suppliers, and state chapters.

As far as the Hardware guy...with the Home Depots and Lowes available...hardware stores are about as rare as Studebakers.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That new, very thick SI catalog can be used as a weapon against those who say Studebaker parts are hard to get. You can either show it to them or clonk them over the head with it.

Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              '60 Lark HT
              '63 Wagonaire
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I understand your fustration. I have had my fair share of guys who think that they know everything there is to know about studebakers, then end up telling me the story of nash or hudson. Oh well. Did you end up with your key before you left, though?

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Comment

No key from Ace hardware but I can find one on page 33 of my Studebaker International catalog. I can have it in a couple of days. I may need to go back to Ace to have them cut it though. Hope they don't mess it up since I have to send away for the slug.

Jon Stalnaker
                  Editor, Hawk Talks
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by jclary

Just another good reason to try and keep a turning
                    Wheels in your car. As part of my friendly banter with my X brand buddies...I tease them about how difficult it is becoming to find parts for the "common" brands and point out the unmatched quality of the Studebaker family with its network of publications, parts suppliers, and state chapters.

As far as the Hardware guy...with the Home Depots and Lowes available...hardware stores are about as rare as Studebakers.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                    SDC member since 1975
                    I always keep a copy of Turning Wheels in my truck. I like the April 2008 edition because of the inside front cover photo.

Jon Stalnaker
                    Editor, Hawk Talks
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

What's their phone number? Let's all call and ask if they make keys for Studebakers since we heard there's an AMC historian making them. [)]

Comment

I run into this once and a while.
                        I just smile a wicked smile and say "It still amazes me how much money they are worth today"
                        That shuts 'em up....
                        Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Funny thing with some folks,you can'nt teach them "but they sure can learn!"

Joseph R. Zeiger
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I've encountered my fair share of "Studebaker historians"; it's even more fun when you are relatively young and female. I once had a guy at an all makes car show tell me my Avanti was made out of aluminum, he knew because he had seen one without paint. I just smiled nicely and nodded and rolled my eyes as soon as he turned away. Even more fun was having my Avanti at the drag strip and explaining the 289 engine was not a Ford engine. Sometimes you can smile and nod and other times, it's just so aggravating. I like the idea of calling the Hardware store and asking if they make Stude keys

Michelle (Myer) Chernisky
                            Heart of Ohio Chapter, SDC
                            60 Lark Convertible
                            64 Avanti
                            sigpic
                            Michelle (Myer) Chernisky
                            Heart of Ohio Chapter, SDC
                            60 Lark Convertible & 64 Avanti

Comment

In a retail setting, I generally ask politely, "So you DON'T want my business, then?"[:0]

Most Locksmiths I've encountered relish the challenge of finding/making keys for mine...also makes a good story for them when they get home.

Note: One set of keys that came with my car used the Mopar "pentagon" key blanks - they work perfectly. I just use the fancy aluminum Studebaker keys for show.

Andy
                              62 GT

Andy
                              62 GT

Comment

Working...
                              X