New record price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New record price?

I just got a confirmed report of a sale of a near condition 1 53 coupe for $42,500 this month.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Thanks, JDP. That should encourage me to spend a little more on the restoration of my 55K. I made it through law school looking at pictures of Loewey coupes for inspiration. It worked!
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I think Dick Steinkamp's old black 54 went for more when he sold it one fine car. but then Dick has a knack for nice fine cars not always that way when he gets them but super nice when he is done, keep up the good work Dick....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

I think that John P. and Bob P. are referring to two different markets. John P. is referring to an almost perfect stock/authentic car and Dick S's car was/is a near perfect highly modified car.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Did anybody notice the beautiful 1957 Golden Hawk that just sold on ebay for $49,500? Look in the completed section. Ended 19 July.

Comment

A stude is A stude.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

The 57 GH was a nice car, had it on my watch list to see if it would sell. You probably could not restore one to that condition for much less, you would have to have a pretty nice car to start with.
              That one sell will have the book price jumping! A crock if you ask me.
              I had 12 cars -Studebakers and Hudsons on my watch list to see if they sold- several had already been listed before, out of the 12, 3 sold and most of the others had lowered reserves and still didn't sell.
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

The '56 GH w/ the dual quad Packard V8 failed to make reserve at a bit over $38K! Not sure what he wanted but I don't think he will get it now or later.

Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I wonder if the 57 G.H. was the same one in AL that failed to make reserve a few weeks ago when it barely went over $30K? It was a really perfect car & a national trophy winner.

Barry'd in Studes
                  Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Here's one not too many dollars or hours from a #1, let's see what it brings-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-...=p4506.c0.m245

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

not too many dollars ... from a #1,
                      Needs black heater hoses and a correct trunk mat.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

But looks like it's got the right battery hold-down...

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                        In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                        If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

quote: John P. is referring to an almost perfect stock/authentic car and Dick S's car was/is a near perfect highly modified car.
                          I wonder how that bodes for the value of a lightly modified?

John,
                          Without divulging particulars, in what sort of market was the sale? Public auction? Private transaction?
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I think that John P. and Bob P. are referring to two different markets. John P. is referring to an almost perfect stock/authentic car and Dick S's car was/is a near perfect highly modified car.

I put 35,000 miles on my '54 hot rod in 8 years. Hardly a #1 car. I even had the hood and front air dam repainted before I sold it due to road rash.

I also wouldn't call that one "highly modified". The body was bone stock except for a nose and deck job. Interior was stock except for the buckets and leather upholstery. Stock dash. Chassis, suspension and brakes were stock...stock 2 piece drive shaft. The only real change was the 365 HP 327 and close ratio T10.

I contend that a Stude modified such as this brings MORE money than a stock one in similar condition. Maybe not to readers of this forum since most wouldn't consider a modified Stude...but to the market in general. Having a Chevy motor turns off Stude purisits, but opens up a far bigger market of hot rodders and folks that don't trust a motor that has been out of production for 45 years.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I put 35,000 miles on my '54 hot rod in 8 years. Hardly a #1 car. I even had the hood and front air dam repainted before I sold it due to road rash.

I also wouldn't call that one "highly modified". The body was bone stock except for a nose and deck job. Interior was stock except for the buckets and leather upholstery. Stock dash. Chassis, suspension and brakes were stock...stock 2 piece drive shaft. The only real change was the 365 HP 327 and close ratio T10.

I contend that a Stude modified such as this brings MORE money than a stock one in similar condition. Maybe not to readers of this forum since most wouldn't consider a modified Stude...but to the market in general. Having a Chevy motor turns off Stude purisits, but opens up a far bigger market of hot rodders and folks that don't trust a motor that has been out of production for 45 years.

Dick Steinkamp
                              I have owned both stock and modified Studebakers.

I referred to Dick S's car as highly modified due to the engine, transmission, interior, trim, wheels, etc. This was to distinguish it from a car with a few tweeks or owner's choice items.

I was trying to infer that I felt that a modified Studebaker, like Dick's, would bring more in today's market than a completely stock car. I think that it appeals to a much larger market and a market that is attuned to spending more.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X