Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SN-60
    replied
    Packard had an affinity for 'catchy' names. I believe before they settled on 'PANTHER', they considered naming this car the 'GREY WOLF'

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Note the carb is in a box. Kaiser 'boxed' the carb on their Supercharged cars too, as did Studebaker on the '57 up GH series, and also on the R3. Strange Ford chose to use a carb 'air cap' in '57, as did Studebaker on the R2. I always
    thought the 'air caps' or 'bonnets' were a bit marginal safety wise.
    Last edited by SN-60; 05-26-2012, 11:33 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Studewannabe
    replied
    Brace yourself Bob,

I just saw the episode in Chasing Classic Cars where Wayne sees a Packard Panther
    in the "Toybox" !
    I don't know why but that car really bowled me over!
    Amazing collection in a beautiful setting.
    Pardon the bump.

Regards,
    Peet

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by clonelark

The two different cars have different tail lights
    According to the writeup at the link posted (http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...arddaytona.htm):

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Leave a comment:

• clonelark
    replied
    The two different cars have different tail lights

Leave a comment:

• Bob Bryant
    replied
    Usually, you could see Homer's herd of buffalo grazing, also. In the 70's he had around 150 cars including one Corvette for each year manufactured. He loaned several of his Duesenbergs for display at the ACD Museum in Auburn.

R2Andy

Untill his collection was sold off after his death, Homer Fitterling had the largest private collection of Dusenbergs in the world. He also had quite a number of other vehicles in his collection, mostly classic era cars. The vast majority of his collection was kept at his farm, just a few miles west of town. You would have passed by it on SR2 on your way to or from the Studebaker Proving Grounds.
    [/quote]

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    On the whole, I think the car's attractive. But after staring at it for a bit, it occurred to me that the front of it looks like a Packard Hawk on the brink of a sneeze.[:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

Leave a comment:

• Invalid User Name
    replied
    I guess that aerodynamics didn't count for much back then. That front end looks like it could wreck a wind tunnel.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by R2Andy

Here is the car you saw at the SNM.http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...arddaytona.htm

R2Andy

Untill his collection was sold off after his death, Homer Fitterling had the largest private collection of Dusenbergs in the world. He also had quite a number of other vehicles in his collection, mostly classic era cars. The vast majority of his collection was kept at his farm, just a few miles west of town. You would have passed by it on SR2 on your way to or from the Studebaker Proving Grounds.
    Oh yeah, that's it. Thanks jimmijim

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Years ago in South Bend 1978 at the Freeman Spicer bldg. {I think at the time it was being used for storage of the Stude collection } I saw a Packard that if I remember correctly, was quite similar. Please correct me if I am delirious. Color was a dark brown. jimmijim
    Yes, one of the Panthers was in the 'old' SNM. I took pictures of it in '88 during the SDC International Meet, but don't have access to the pics right now.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Leave a comment:

• R2Andrea
    replied
    Here is the car you saw at the SNM.http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...arddaytona.htm

R2Andy

Leave a comment:

• FlatheadGeo
    replied
    Now...that is a CAR!!!!

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    That windshield sure looks tall, but I guess it might help keep the wind off better than a more stylish one.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Years ago in South Bend 1978 at the Freeman Spicer bldg. {I think at the time it was being used for storage of the Stude collection } I saw a Packard that if I remember correctly, was quite similar. Please correct me if I am delirious. Color was a dark brown. jimmijim
    I don't want to correct you because I do not think that you are delirious <G>.

I remember one showing up to at least one of the SDC International Meets that I attended.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X