Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Panther

Maybe some have seen this, I found this on the McCulloch VS-57 site

Some might say that this is an unusual choice for the racing McCullochs section of the site, however the first of the four 1954

Packard Panthers produced was raced at Daytona in 1954 turning an average of 110.97 mph, based on runs of 111.24 and 110.70 mph. More significantly in a later one-way run, using a racing type of windscreen instead of the standard windscreen, which was not officially timed, Dick Rathman claimed that he had clocked himself through the traps at131.1 mph. The Panther was Packard's first fiberglass-bodied car and was produced as a show car. Built on the 122" wheelbase, it used the 359 cubic inch straight eight engine of 1954. Boost was provided by a McCulloch which provided 275 horsepower.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

It's a slick mo-sheen for sure.

Chris Pile
    Editor: The Studebaker Special
    http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

275 horsepower seemed to be the magic number for Studebaker-Packard (of course the Panther predates S-P).

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Years ago in South Bend 1978 at the Freeman Spicer bldg. {I think at the time it was being used for storage of the Stude collection } I saw a Packard that if I remember correctly, was quite similar. Please correct me if I am delirious. Color was a dark brown. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Years ago in South Bend 1978 at the Freeman Spicer bldg. {I think at the time it was being used for storage of the Stude collection } I saw a Packard that if I remember correctly, was quite similar. Please correct me if I am delirious. Color was a dark brown. jimmijim
          I don't want to correct you because I do not think that you are delirious <G>.

I remember one showing up to at least one of the SDC International Meets that I attended.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That windshield sure looks tall, but I guess it might help keep the wind off better than a more stylish one.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
            "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Now...that is a CAR!!!!

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.
              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Here is the car you saw at the SNM.http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...arddaytona.htm

R2Andy

Untill his collection was sold off after his death, Homer Fitterling had the largest private collection of Dusenbergs in the world. He also had quite a number of other vehicles in his collection, mostly classic era cars. The vast majority of his collection was kept at his farm, just a few miles west of town. You would have passed by it on SR2 on your way to or from the Studebaker Proving Grounds.
                R2Andrea

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Yes, one of the Panthers was in the 'old' SNM. I took pictures of it in '88 during the SDC International Meet, but don't have access to the pics right now.

Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R2Andy

Here is the car you saw at the SNM.http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...arddaytona.htm

R2Andy

Untill his collection was sold off after his death, Homer Fitterling had the largest private collection of Dusenbergs in the world. He also had quite a number of other vehicles in his collection, mostly classic era cars. The vast majority of his collection was kept at his farm, just a few miles west of town. You would have passed by it on SR2 on your way to or from the Studebaker Proving Grounds.
                    Oh yeah, that's it. Thanks jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I guess that aerodynamics didn't count for much back then. That front end looks like it could wreck a wind tunnel.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

On the whole, I think the car's attractive. But after staring at it for a bit, it occurred to me that the front of it looks like a Packard Hawk on the brink of a sneeze.[:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Usually, you could see Homer's herd of buffalo grazing, also. In the 70's he had around 150 cars including one Corvette for each year manufactured. He loaned several of his Duesenbergs for display at the ACD Museum in Auburn.

R2Andy

[/quote]

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

The two different cars have different tail lights

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by clonelark

The two different cars have different tail lights
                              According to the writeup at the link posted (http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...arddaytona.htm):

Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
                              X