Baby barnlark gets her temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby barnlark gets her temps

Yesterday was my youngest's big day to finally be a legal driver (with licensed supervision) until she reaches full legal driving age. As a surprise, I also purchased her own SDC membership along with my annual renewal. [8D]
    It's rather long, but if you're interested here's her very first driving trip:

Edit: video removed.

That's really cute, Dave. Thanks. She looks ready for you to put her in an R2/4-speed Super Lark just any day now! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Dave , you even had me nervous there a couple of times !
      Your in trouble now .....that car will be missing all the time [8D]

[IMG]
      Home of the Fried Green Tomato
      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

You're right, both Bobs! She needs her own. I taught my oldest to drive in a 4 speed. I just figured the memory of the first drive had to be in a Studebaker...in between rain storms yesterday. She's helped me with a lot of things on this car, so it was a special day. [8D]

Comment

Man I'm smiling all over that was great.
          You done good Dad!!
          quote:Originally posted by barnlark

You're right, both Bobs! She needs her own. I taught my oldest to drive in a 4 speed. I just figured the memory of the first drive had to be in a Studebaker...in between rain storms yesterday. She's helped me with a lot of things on this car, so it was a special day. [8D]

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

[:0] My analysis,

Brings whole new meaning to back seat driving [8D]
            You are a great dad for letting said daughter take out the pride and joy.

[}] its obvious she's going to have an appreciation for v-8 power[}] as well as a desire for power steering. [)]

[B)] The delema of keeping two hands on the wheel, or waving in order to difuse dirty looks from other drivers. [}] I vote for 2 hands on the wheel. its not everyday you see a camera man in the back of a convertible, probably the reason for the dirty looks.[:0]

Not that the lark will be her everyday means of transportation, the experience of manual steering and drum brakes should bring an appreciation of modern cars as well as a respect for the old technology. Both, I feel make a better driver.

A lasting impression for a first drive. I give it 2 thumbs up

[:0]Now where's those classifieds and ebay listings, you may have some shopping to do Dave! [)][)]

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Dave she is so cute some one is going to sweep her up and put her in an Avanti, also when you have the engine out time for power steering, , nice looking place you have there better than LA area...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

No dirty looks when we went by the pavilion, they were waves of excitement to which my daughter was dangerously responding. My neighbor (yet another Bob) was having his retirement party. He has a '48 Olds and his son spends all day finding classic car parts as his full time job. They love my car, but no one has ever driven it other than me, so they were getting a kick out of it. That's the same pavilion roadway that was full of Studes the last weekend of June for my meet.

[img][/img]

I installed power steering on my first convertible and I personally like my manual steering better. She doesn't though!

Comment

Your daughter deserves congrats for handling a car without p/s, all while being filmed from a nervous coach![:0] She really got the hang of it quickly and did great. Your commentary was as calm as could be expected with your "baby" driving your "baby". I must admit though, I was waiting for a "LOOK OUT! There's a leaf falling out of a tree!" Brings back good memories of driving my Lark for the first time with a fresh license in my pocket. Thank your daughter for allowing you to post the video (she does know, right?)[?]

Skinny
                  Watertown, SD
                  Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

What memories are made of!
                    She will always remember her 1st drive and will never forget what car she drove.
                    Good job!

James

The Bell Collection
                    Bellingham, WA.
                    Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                    Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Great video, Dave. No doubt she'll remember her first drive for the rest of her life.
                      Plus, she'll have this video to show her own kids that teens can be careful and courteous. It's easy to see that you were both proud that day!

Now, to delay her eventual discovery that the steering effort decreases as the speed increases.[:0]

Andy
                      62 GT

Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

That was a great Video. Thank you for sharing the Studebaker Smile. Congratulations to your daughter its a great fun time getting your license.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        The Prez 1955 President State
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
                        Fresno,Ca
                        Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        The Prez 1955 President State
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

I had to show the video to my youngest daughter. Susan has also just gotten her temporary license. We both could relate to what was happening.
                          Unfortunately, Susan can't say that her first drive with her temporary was in a Studebaker. Maybe I can teach her how to drive a standard transmission car by using a Studebaker like I did with her mom.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                          sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

That is so cool! On the manual steering just tell her to ease up on her grip when straightening out after making the turn - that the steering wheel will want to return to center by itself instead of her trying to turn the steering wheel back to center.

My older brother took me down to the DMV when I got my permit. To celebrate I lifted the hood on my mom's station wagon and flipped the air cleaner lid over - so the engine would make that great chuwaaaaaa sound when I floored it. My brother suggested that it was probably a bad idea to be speeding on my first day of driving (spoil sport!) The next afternoon my mom was complaining about her car "sounding funny" - so I quickly volunteered to check it out. I told her an adjustment was off, but that it was an easy fix

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                            Packrat junk collector
                            '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas63R2

That is so cool! On the manual steering just tell her to ease up on her grip when straightening out after making the turn - that the steering wheel will want to return to center by itself instead of her trying to turn the steering wheel back to center.

Don't think that discussion hasn't happened several times about the grip and release turn. It'll sink in eventually. Lots of hours yet to log.

Comment

Working...
                              X