No announcement yet.

Baby barnlark gets her temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, like kids sitting on a lap is legal. You'd end up on Nancy Grace for that! [B)]

Comment

I think we've all become a nation of fussbudgets and insurance-cowed scaredy-cats. Everyone I know grew up in big all-steel cars with no dash pads or seat belts, and we all made it through alive. Let's not let the little nit-picky things and the no-no nannies steal the joy out of life, shall we?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard
      http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
      www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

JWW, all good points! I feel sort-of embarrassed now...like I would be if my own HS driver's ed teacher were weighing in here!

Again, all good points though!

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
        '64 Daytona Hardtop
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Never mind the details, Dave. I really enjoyed that video because it brings back memories of my first legal drives. Of course, I had a lot of experience by the time I got my permit. I used to go to the local tavern and hang with Dad for hours because I knew if he got a load on he'd let me drive the 4 miles home- not on his lap or next to him just steering, but right in the driver's seat in full control! I vividly remember that feeling, 11 or 12 years old, barely able to see over the dashboard of that big blue Lincoln, and feeling like the King of the World[^] That's why I love teaching kids, and I'm pretty darn good at it too

Just heard that Springsteen lyric in my head:

Sit on his lap
          In that big old Buick
          Steer as we drove through town...

Robert (Bob) Andrews
          Or how about Alan Jackson's song, simply entitled "Drive"? A great song with a simple but important message.

In fact, Dave, if you redo the video, put Drive on a portable CD player and have it playing it the background! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Dave, take her out on the interstate with Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55!".

[}][)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Bill,

It was not my intent to embarass you or Dave. I merely wanted to point out that there are risks associated with driving before receiving one's Learner's Permit or what ever it is called in Ohio. I've personally done some things that I look back on and ask myself "What was I thinking?"

When I bought my convertible in 1980, it had been sitting in a barn for about seven years. The man who owned it and his son-in-law brought it to his house on a Saturday morning. They had poured 5 gallons of gasoline in it, pumped up the tires, and drove it a short distance. Because I got there very early they had just begun to wash it. It was black as coal, the interior was covered with mold, the rear window was opaque, it had the usual front fender rust, the exhaust system was intact but the muffler was kinda loud, and the gas tank was leaking a steady drip, drip, drip.

Despite all that, the next day I slapped a license plate (from my daily driver) on it, and drove it home from the other side of Pittsburgh, probably about 40 miles. I drove into the city, across the bridge, through the tunnels, and out the Parkway towards the airport with my Dad following behind me. As we exited from the Parkway onto Rt. 22/30, there was a State Police car coming up the ramp just ahead of me about to merge into my lane. There was nowhere for me to hide, so I kept on driving. He gave me a long look but continued in his lane which took him onto another exit ramp to access the road leading to the barracks. Thought I was done for.

Looking back today that was a really dumb thing to do. (Of course I was younger and stupider back then.) The car had sat for all that time. I had no idea about the condition of the brakes, radiator, belts, hoses, etc., etc. But it got me home never missing a beat.

Like they say, "Don't try this at home."
              JWW

Comment

Dave, great video! She did a lot better than John did on his first drive...he ran the car into his parents's house! (P.S. He was wearing tennis shoes.) Thanks for sharing! We really enjoyed it!

John and Tracy Smith
                Queen Creek Arizona
                http://1955studebaker.blogspot.com/
                [IMG]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JWW

Bill,

It was not my intent to embarass you or Dave. I merely wanted to point out that there are risks associated with driving before receiving one's Learner's Permit or what ever it is called in Ohio. I've personally done some things that I look back on and ask myself "What was I thinking?"

When I bought my convertible in 1980, it had been sitting in a barn for about seven years. The man who owned it and his son-in-law brought it to his house on a Saturday morning. They had poured 5 gallons of gasoline in it, pumped up the tires, and drove it a short distance. Because I got there very early they had just begun to wash it. It was black as coal, the interior was covered with mold, the rear window was opaque, it had the usual front fender rust, the exhaust system was intact but the muffler was kinda loud, and the gas tank was leaking a steady drip, drip, drip.

Despite all that, the next day I slapped a license plate (from my daily driver) on it, and drove it home from the other side of Pittsburgh, probably about 40 miles. I drove into the city, across the bridge, through the tunnels, and out the Parkway towards the airport with my Dad following behind me. As we exited from the Parkway onto Rt. 22/30, there was a State Police car coming up the ramp just ahead of me about to merge into my lane. There was nowhere for me to hide, so I kept on driving. He gave me a long look but continued in his lane which took him onto another exit ramp to access the road leading to the barracks. Thought I was done for.

Looking back today that was a really dumb thing to do. (Of course I was younger and stupider back then.) The car had sat for all that time. I had no idea about the condition of the brakes, radiator, belts, hoses, etc., etc. But it got me home never missing a beat.

Like they say, "Don't try this at home."
                  Being far less funded than now (and that's saying a lot!), when I first bought my '71 Fury GT, it was 50 miles from home. A friend of mine had a '76 Dodge Aspen wagon, and he towed me the whole way with a tow strap. The was up I-75 and thru Detroit with only the ability to stand on the brakes hoping they wouldn't fail and without the vacuum assist. We made it in one piece without any real drama, but looking back you wonder what you were thinking.

The guy who did the towing was bringing home a rusty Porsche 914. This time I was doing the towing. His brakes froze up and started a brake fire. After checking things out, we just shrugged and continued on with a large smoke screen trailing behind us...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                  X