No announcement yet.

Baby barnlark gets her temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave, great footage, and she's obviously a good sport to 'allow' you to film it all!

I've taken my older daughter Kelsey (15) driving in church and school parking lots the last couple weeks, for the first time. She wants nothing to do with trying driving in a Studebaker, unfortunately! She is preferring our van so far, despite its large size. The 5-speed in our Cobalt has frustrated her in driving attempts so far, although I've told her that no one learns a stick shift in fifteen minutes!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

I taught my niece and nephew both to drive in my 64. I started them both off on mountain roads where twenty mph is fast so they learned quickly how to clutch and shift to second at least. Good thing about mountain roads is no traffic and you can usually just kill the engine if you have to in the middle of the road.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
      61 V8 Tcab
      61 Tcab 20R powered
      55 Commander Wagon
      54 Champion Wagon
      46 Gibson Model A
      50 JD MC
      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
      61 V8 Tcab
      63 Tcab 20R powered
      55 Commander Wagon
      54 Champion Wagon
      46 Gibson Model A
      50 JD MC
      45 Agricat
      67 Triumph T100
      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Finally got to watch that sweet video. One of life's best moments, and you got it on film[^] I love cars, love driving, and love kids, so I've had much enjoyment teaching kids to drive, or drive a stick; I'm the family car-driving instructor I taught both my brother's wife and Linda's sister how to drive a stickshift after both had decided they'd NEVER be able learn. Now I'm teaching their kids[^] Ironically, the one I'm having the hard time with making progress is my own (otherwise brilliant) son[B)]

Thanks for sharing that. You must be very proud of an obviously great kid![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Both of my daughters have exceeding my expectations, in spite of me. [^] I'm very proud of both. Poor girls do know their cars. They have humbly embarrassed boys with their car knowledge.

Comment

In Cedar Rapids mu daughter DEE DEE had the chance to drive Ian Mackellars white R-2 Avanti twice and she really like the car when she was done, now I guess she will be bugging me now and then to drive the 67 Avanti or the 64 super hawk, her husband has a 62 champ with a 400 hp Chevy engine and Auto but she doesn't want any part of that, if he ever gets off his butt and finishes his 62 GT she would like that one..
            Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

This passage of time reminded me of the shots I have along the way of her behind the wheel, wishing to drive. The first one is in front of my other finished '60 convertible, then in front of a local member's car. She still holds a sweet spot for bullet nose convertibles..[8D]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Comment

Dave, definitely a fun video. Who doesn't remember how to learn to drive in a Studebaker? Oh, yeah, those people who bought one AFTER they knew how to drive. Silly me.

Just a hint for your daughter from an old fogey. When driving a non-power steering car, always wrap your thumbs around the wheel instead of extending them straight out and pressing on the wheel. One good bump on only one tire and that wheel can take a hard turn, really hurting an extended thumb.

Now, back to remembering learning to drive in my Champion..............

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Thanks for sharring Dave,it looks like she will be a good driver.

Lenny
                  Atlanta Ga.

Comment

Thanks for the ride. Your daughter seems to be a good and cautious driver. I guess you'll just have to find one for her. The biggest mistake you made was having her drive a convertible. That's what she'll want now. Come to think of it, I'd like one too.
                    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Hey Dave,

Really enjoyed your video. It brought back a lot of memories. Just a couple of observations from an old retired HS Driver's Ed teacher who taught kids to drive for twenty some years. First, please ask your daughter to NOT wear flip flops when she drives (especially when she goes for her driver's test.) A closed toe shoe is much safer, and will make a better impression on her driving examiner. [^]

Making turns will get better with practice.

Now a word to Dad...it seems that the licensed driver was missing from the front seat. I know, I know -- picky. You were driving in your neighborhood at a relatively slow speed. BUT, I don't think that there is an exception for that in the Ohio Motor Vehicle Code. You would not have been much help from the back seat in the event of an emergency. Didn't happen, but she was interacting with other moving and parked cars. One of those cars could have pulled out in front of her, made a turn too wide, or a door could have been opened on a parked car, or a pedestrian stepped between.... you get the picture. Don't risk conflict with law enforcement at this stage of the game. (And it is on You Tube for all the world to see.)

Note to Bill Pressler re your above post: Same thing. Church parking lots and school driveways are public thorofares and not a good idea for unlicensed drivers. This also raises insurance issues. The closer it gets to one's birthday, the harder it is to wait. Lots of folks do it, but if something happens...?

I first "drove" sitting on my dad's lap in a '49 Hudson, but that was in our driveway. My dad would stop at the end of the driveway, and I would crawl up on his lap and steer for the 150 feet or so to the house. Also my grandparents lived in the country and I later drove on their property before I was 16. I passed the PA driver's test just over two weeks after my birthday in my HS's driver ed car ('56 DeSoto 4 dr hardtop.) The examiner commented that he thought I had started "practicing" a little early.

I do recall once being in FL with my parents and younger brother before I was 16. We left my Uncle's house sometime after midnight, and my Dad handed me the keys to drive us back to my grandparents' house. ('55 Commander 4 dr, stick) This was a distance of about 2 miles or so, within a development, but did not involve crossing any major intersections. So yes I'm guilty too.[:I]

Guys, I wish both your daughters many, many years of safe driving, and I hope some of those miles are behind the wheel of a Stude.
                      JWW

Comment

Great video Dave! I'm not sure how my heart will hold up when it's my son's turn at the wheel!

...brought back memories of my first try at "armstrong" steering, though!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

"HIT THE BRAKE! HIT THE BRAKE!"

Great video. Reminds me of my sister learning to drive . It also reminded me of driving my dad's '80 Chevy Citation. I think it was the only V6 made without power steering .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I'm glad someone spoke up about the open toe sandels. No-No

Comment

I noticed those too after I saw the video. Oh well. We haven't been exactly legal learning yet, but we live in the country and while it wasn't correct, we promise to do better. By the way, this was just meant to be a fun first temp license moment, and it was, not a how-to driving lesson. I always sit in the front seat, even though not all our cars allow access to the brakes from that position, either.
                              I checked the laws about footwear and there aren't any laws against driving barefoot in almost all states, let alone sandals. If high heels or anything on one's foot causes an accident, then maybe you'd get a ticket, but not just because people frown on them. Is it better to have sneakers on? Yes, maybe. Wet sneakers are just as dangerous.
                              Thanks for the critiques, though. I've only posted one video and learned a lesson.

Comment

Never mind the details, Dave. I really enjoyed that video because it brings back memories of my first legal drives. Of course, I had a lot of experience by the time I got my permit. I used to go to the local tavern and hang with Dad for hours because I knew if he got a load on he'd let me drive the 4 miles home- not on his lap or next to him just steering, but right in the driver's seat in full control! I vividly remember that feeling, 11 or 12 years old, barely able to see over the dashboard of that big blue Lincoln, and feeling like the King of the World[^] That's why I love teaching kids, and I'm pretty darn good at it too

Of course, that memory is what also kept me from caring about footwear, or Dad's seating position

Just heard that Springsteen lyric in my head:

Sit on his lap
                                In that big old Buick
                                Steer as we drove through town...

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                                X