Avanti owner history, early AOA member list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti owner history, early AOA member list

I recently added to my Avanti automobilia collection two early Avanti Owner's Association member lists. One is from '66-'67 and it list members, year model and color, and what looks to be the then current license plate number - but not vin's. The second is from a little later in the 1960's, it lists members, year model and color, and vin's as high as RQB1612.

Can someone tell me when RQB1612 was made? then I could put a possible date on that membership list.

I now know of one more past owner of my Avanti R3565 - and that it was once yellow.

If any Avanti owners are interested in the early owner history on their car just send me an email with "Avanti R(the rest of your vin)" example: Avanti R3565 in the subject line and I will pass on to you if your Avanti is in the early membership lists and what info is there. *Please Note* I get a huge volume of emails, most of which I never open so be sure to use the forementioned subject line. Anti-spam reader version of my email addy, REMOVE the parentheses ")" when you type this address in: t)c)-)i)s)@u)s)a).)n)e)t)

I'll post to the AOAI, but I know that not all Avanti owners are AOAI members.

If any of you have old AOA or AOAI member rosters, I would like to add them to my collection.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
    Packrat junk collector
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

I own RQB1574 and it was assembled in September 1970, so RQB1612 was assembled later that year or in early 1971.

In a back issue of Avanti Magazine (beats me what issue), there's a breakdown of VIN's by model year, but that's not necessarily accurate...I don't remember if it's a listing of cars constructed that year or actually sold that year...they are often two different numbers.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

My 67 number is RQA0253 and my 80 is RQB3084...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

None of those are listed in the early rosters.

thomas

Long time hot rodder
        Packrat junk collector
        '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

My '63 serial # is R4457

Comment

We have a winner! Johnny, email me as instructed above and I'll send you the details.

Also, for any who think they know the name of the original owner, I can cross check to see if they are listed as AOA members in the first roster from '66/'67.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
            Packrat junk collector
            '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Mine wasn't listed, but thanks for looking. I hope it turns out to be Rod Serling's old Avanti. Always loved the Twilight Zone.
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

RBQ 1612 would be early in the 1971 model year. (There were only 122 1971s.)

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

How about 64 R4986. Thanks

Mike Jones
                  Pembroke Pines, FL

Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                  Fort Worth, TX

Comment

how about 63R2845

Comment

We have our next pair of winners!

Mike, email me as instructed above and I'll reply with the details.

Now Karl, I'm pretty sure you know that your dad owned the car in 1971. My '66/'67 roster lists names and license plate numbers - so if you don't know the name of the seller your dad bought from, just let me know what the license plate number was in your early pictures of the car and I'll reverse look it up that way.

On the '66/'67 roster there are no vins - but there are names and license plate numbers for most cars. So if you know the original owner's name or if you know the state and license plate number contemporary with 1966, then I can reverse look up some info.

Gentle reminder for people emailing me: please follow the instructions in the original posting for a direct email.

Thomas

Comment

Thomas,

I tried sending an e-mail.
                        Not sure if I did it right.
                        Again, my serial # is R4457.
                        I'd be interested to know what you have on it.
                        It has a plaque on it from Studebaker that says:
                        "Built For The Carlile Family."
                        Invoiced new to the Dealer in Oakland, CA

Thanks,
                        fstst56

Comment

Johnny, you did it correctly, info sent.

Thomas

Comment

Thanks Thomas, License was FTK 412, Dad joined Avanti Owners in 68 I think. Probably not in your roster. Thanks any way.[:I]

Comment

Karl, your dad IS listed in the '71 roster with a red R4. And pictures of his car and the engine appear in several newsletters - but I have not (yet) indexed my AOA collection for car owners and vins.

That license plate does not show up in the '66/'67 roster - but not all cars have their plate number listed. He still could have bought the car from an AOA member.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                              Packrat junk collector
                              '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X