The Elusive 1958 PackardHawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Elusive 1958 PackardHawk

Well I have heard tales and stories for the last ten years of this collection of Studebakers on the old 41 highway. Heard of a gentlemen's collection he had about ten Studebakers of which 2 were 1958 PackardHawks. Well 3 years ago we found the White PackardHawk. I took lots of pictures and passed on info about it on the forum.
    The guy that bought it had it for sale wouldn't say How Much. Well he was a young man under 40 he passed away a few months ago. He has all of those cars that were on 41 around Caruthers area.
    Well I always heard of a restored 58 PackardHawk that was Black with gold fins. I never could find where it was. I called on an ad for 54 Stude parts in Caruthers the guy that I talked to knew of the car. He told me that the guy just passed away and that it was for sale. Well that was about two months ago.
    Last night we had the Golden Hawk and the 54 coupe at a car show. These two boys were circling the car. I went over to answer questions for them. They were so excited to see a Studebaker. They had been to this Car show from Caruthers every other Friday looking for Studebaker people. They had tried on ebay for a GoldenHawk that looked like theirs. They had no luck. So we got to talking I asked where they were from. Well then I asked them if the car was Black with Gold fins they said yes. I told him I was sorry to hear about his Grandpa. Well he was blown away that I knew of the car and his Grandpa. Grandpa told him the car was worth $50,000. Well we talked of condition and compared cars. One uncle wanted to buy it for $30,000I told him to call that Uncle and have your Grandma sell it now. He would like to keep it and restore it. He's gonna talk to Grandma and have her sell the rest of the vintage cars to get this on fixed up.
    I didn't have any Turning Wheels with me so we had him follow us home and we got him information about joining. He will be joining the forum too. The reason he couldn't find cars like that one is by what he was calling it. Once I showed him Packard Hawk he was amazed He is 20 years old and he will introduce himself soon. First name of Eric. I just wanted to share another Stude Story with you.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Looks like another member for SDC. If he put that much effort into finding another Studebaker owner,he will be amazed at what we have going on. Good catch.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Well done, Anne!

Chris Pile
      Editor: The Studebaker Special
      http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Now send him on to me. I would like to know about the car and the numbers on it. If interested here is a Black Packard Hawk which just recently came on the market for sale.

http://www.vaultcars.com/58PackardHa...ackardHawk.htm

Mike
        www.packardhawk.com

Comment

Carey passed away? Sad to hear that, I knew he had been seriously ill.

Comment

Mike, thanks for posting that. What an awsome car.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

Anne, are these the cars that were on a "ranch" in Reedley?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman

[size=2][black]Well I have heard tales and stories for the last ten years of this collection of Studebakers on the old 41 highway. Heard of a gentlemen's collection he had about ten Studebakers of which 2 were 1958 PackardHawks.
                Anne you are an awesome legend finder, next thing we know your going to find one of those legendary prototypes that escape the woods intact and has been sitting in a garage just down the street.

Great job, great story. And kudos for the addtion of another young Stude SDCer.

Comment

Mr Biggs these cars came from Conejo & Elm up on a hill. The Reedley cars on Mountain View are tied up with 6 different sets of cousins and a administrator. I recently got an update on them. Was supposed to be Supercharged Gt Hawks & Larks. According to my source they should be ready for us to look over soon next 4 months or so. He said most of the Supercharged cars are Missing. He thinks one of the relatives had a prior sale. Who knows. Will keep you posted.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                  Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                  Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
                  Fresno,Ca
                  Mabel 1949 Champion
                  Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                  Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Fresno,Ca

Comment

Although I'd never seen them, I'd heard enough credible accounts to know that there were two P-Hawks and numerous lesser birds at the Reedley location. One of the charter members of SJVC/SDC claimed to be a resident/relative of the gal that owned them. Described in detail, the great condition P-Hawk stored inside and the weathered one residing in the elements. Hope something's left of them.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

These are the cars that were owned by the son of the people that own Elders Produce on elm avenue. If anyone is interested in them, it would be wise to contact them, I have seen the white packard hawk in person, and it is a decent car. The 57 Packard wagon he had was pretty nice too.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MikeW

Now send him on to me. I would like to know about the car and the numbers on it. If interested here is a Black Packard Hawk which just recently came on the market for sale.

http://www.vaultcars.com/58PackardHa...ackardHawk.htm

Mike
                        www.packardhawk.com
                        Mike, were any Packard Hawks sold with overdrive trans.?

John Ratliff

Comment

IIRC, there were around twenty-five Packard Hawks with OD. It was the rare long-tailshaft T85.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

26 Packard Hawks were built with 3 speed overdrive. The rest were automatics.

Mike
                            www.packardhawk.com

Comment

Glad you're helping new members, Anne. Trying to follow the story, though. If the guy was under 40 and died, how is his grandson 20? If the original guy who owned them is grandpa, passed away, and that guy bought them, he died, too, then I get it. Whew!
                              You folks out west are all over these hidden treasures. Thanks! Guess that's why registry lists and SDC memberships aren't enough to know how many cars are actually out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X